PROGRAM/DEPARTMENT SUMMARY: -
Gaza Sky Geeks (GSG) is Gaza’s leading co-working space, tech education hub, and startup accelerator, run by Mercy Corps, a nonprofit international relief and development organization with programs in the occupied Palestinian territories since the 1980s. Mercy Corps founded GSG in partnership with Google.org in 2011. We bring together online freelancers, outsourcers, and startup founders together under one roof to share ideas, best practices, code, and build brighter futures through the power of the internet. Gaza Sky Geeks’ overarching goal is to build an internationally competitive technology ecosystem in Gaza through online freelancing, outsourcing, and startups.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY: -
Mercy Corps’ Gaza Sky Geeks program recently launched a commercial Digital Agency to connect graduates of GSG coding and freelancing programs with customers for their digital services abroad. During its first phase, the digital agency has successfully engaged with a number of international clients, from VC backed startups and social enterprises based in London, to US health tech companies. The digital agency is now ready to scale and grow both our team in Gaza and the number and size of our international clients.
To support this growth, GSG is seeking to hire an amazing senior web developer with a strong history of professional experience with commercial clients and project management. Our new senior developer will join the growing team at the GSG Digital Agency.
Your typical day may include scoping a project from an international client; mentoring junior developers (graduates of GSG’s six-month long coding academy) and troubleshooting their problems; working with scrum masters to make sure they are effectively managing their teams; and giving clear, regular updates to GSG technical and business leaders.
Gaza Sky Geeks is also building a community of developers, freelancers, and startups here in Gaza. You will also be expected to support this larger work of GSG by contributing and consulting with other GSG program areas to maximize impact.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: -
The role is full time and situated on site in Gaza Sky Geeks.
- Give technical advice to development teams working on commercial projects for international clients
- Ensure the quality of our code is error free, well documented, and efficient
- Make architectural decisions about how we design and build a product for a client.
- Oversee the professional and educational growth of our developers
- Provide input to the GSG Code Academy team on technical trainings and other resources to help better prepare graduates to work with international clients
- Oversee client project scrum masters and project managers to ensure projects run smoothly and on time
- Manage client relationships, using written and verbal English at the highest professional standard. While doing this you will be expected to be able to:
- Follow up promptly with any client communication within 24 hours
- Clearly articulate complex client problems and find a solution that works for the client
- Build a deep understanding of clients needs and product
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Not Applicable
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Engineering Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: GSG Operations Manager and Gaza Freelancing Program Manager
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least 1-2 years of proven relative work experience
- Excellent communication, oral and written (English and Arabic).
- Excellent software development skills with excellent understanding of agile/scrum methodologies
- Good knowledge of best practices for HTML and CSS
- Proficiency in MS Office, Slack, Google products (Drive, Sheets, Docs). GSG does not use email internally. We use Slack.
- Willingness to work outside of normal business hours as required;
- Experience and passion for mentoring and teaching others technical topics
- Constantly curious and eager to learn new skills in management, leadership, as well as technology
- You are humble, a great listener, and open to feedback.
- Ability to work in a flat, fast paced environment with others who are passionate about supporting Gaza’s technology ecosystem
- Comfort with uncertainty and change—GSG is a small program but growing rapidly. Just like our program, we seek staff who are adaptable and pitch in on what needs to be done.
- Strong listening abilities in order to understand the needs of Gaza’s freelancing community and GSG’s tech community
- Superb attention to detail
- Positive attitude and passion for your work
- Proactive, get-stuff-done mentality that always prioritizes outcomes, not just inputs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal, conflict resolution and negotiation skills;
- Excellent time and organizational management skills;
- Up to date knowledge of technical and industry developments.
- Excellent ability to work under pressure and carry out multiple tasks simultaneously.
If interested, submit an application online here. No later than Friday, 30 November 2018.
Qualified persons with disability are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are encouraged to complete the application .Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.