Vacancy reference no.:VAC-1765
Position: Senior Site Engineer
Place of performance: Gaza
Contract duration: up to 2 months (@26days/month)
Starting date: ASAP
OVERVIEW OF CTG GLOBAL
CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The objective of this project is to contribute to the successful and sustainable reconstruction of Gaza and relief of the on going humanitarian crisis. Its primary aim is to provide legal, financial and technical support to the most vulnerable IDP households with totally destroyed houses, to establish and protect Housing, Land and Property (HLP) rights of IDPs and to promote security of tenure and then with the provision of cash grants and technical support, to reconstruct quality and sustainable homes.
Provide necessary technical support and assistance through the reconstruction process to beneficiaries. The engineer will be involved in the definition and agreement of the quantities of materials and work for each stage with the selected contractor, the overall schedule for the construction, stages of work and will authorise each respective stage payment upon achievement of the stage achievements in accordance with the required and agreed progress and standards to the beneficiary.
The main responsibilities of the Engineer are to:
• Review provided Designs and BoQs.
• Monitor and technically assess quality construction according to Plan
• Ensure construction standards according to Environment, Health & safety plans
• Manage work sites and coordinating works and duties between different parties;
• Provide technical supervision;
• Take steps to ensure contractors adherence to the set time schedule and budget;
• Ensure that the construction activities are aligned with the overall project plan.
• Propose workable solutions to prevent delays;
• Keep record of day to day progress of work on site;
• Liaise with contractors and beneficiaries in order to facilitate smooth implementation according to plan (quantitative and qualitative);
• Maintain operations by following policies and procedures, reporting needed changes;
• Assist the PM in the hand over and closing of the project.
• Report all errors, omissions, discrepancies and deficiencies to PM and record them into the software monitoring system
• Actively support the PM and all relevant stakeholders with the supply of data and information according to project needs
• Contributing to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed;
• Perform other functions as may be assigned by the PM;
Day-to-day monitoring visit to construction sites are recorded into software monitoring system;
Follow-up of construction plan and reporting according to milestones;
Conduct project audits
Monitor Site Engineers progress and abilities.
Supervise monitoring and progress reports from Site Engineers.
He/ she will be working along with other Construction team members and coordinate with the implementation partner’s colleagues/ S/he will be supervising a team of site engineers.
Good managerial and coordination skills are necessary for the fulfilment of daily work with beneficiaries and contractors.
Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineer.
Minimum of 6 years of demonstrable relevant Engineering – Civil experience.
Minimum of 6 years of experience in Middle East (essential).
Fluency in English and Arabic are essential.
• Ability to multi-task and work in an environment where there may be frequent distractions;
• Ability to work in a team;
• Demonstrate strong coaching/mentoring skills, regularly providing helpful feedback and advice to others in the team;
• Ability to work effectively under limited supervision, high stress and rapidly changing situations and circumstances;
• Excellent communications and mediation skills to build strong relationships with internal and external actors;
• Planning and Organizing – Ability to plan work assignments and work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines, and with minimal direction/supervision.
• Pro-active and problem solving approach;
• Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure;
• High professionally in computer with particular MS WORD MS Excell, MS Outlook and the internet,
• Ability to adapt to difficult working environment, under pressure and with limited timeframes,
• Attention to details,
Previous experience in quantity surveying and construction, infrastructure and large scale projects.
knowledge of supplies, equipment and or services ordering and inventory control
Ability to read construction maps and check BoQs.
experience and ability of measuring/running estimations/calculations of used dual-use material in construction
Database management skills
experience in UN or NGO's is highly preferred
Other relevant information:
The Incumbent must be mentally and physically fit
The incumbent must have a clean criminal record
when visiting the construction sites, all duties are performed in PPE: safety hat, boots and high Viz
Duties may require long periods of standing
Hold a valid Palestinian driving license
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Interested candidates should create a profile and apply on CTG Global careers website (click here). Please refer to the vacancy number: VAC-1765. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.