Agriculture contributes significantly to secure the livelihoods of Palestine's rural population and is an important pillar of its economic development. More and better opportunities for agricultural households to generate additional income counteract increasing rural-urban migration, improve food security and strengthen social structures. The federally owned enterprise Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. The GIZ project “Strengthening Sustainable Livelihoods in Rural Areas” aims to improve the livelihoods of the agricultural population in close cooperation with its Palestinian partners. Therefore, a multilevel approach will be applied that includes measures (1) to increase the capacities of the Ministry of Agriculture – in particular of its extension departments – to deliver improved advisory services and planning processes to the rural population, (2) to improve the conditions for increased agricultural productivity (e.g. water availability), and (3) to improve the conditions for income generation and employability in Palestine’s agricultural sector (e.g. market access). Interventions are planned in the district of Hebron, the northwest of the West Bank (Tulkarem, Qualqilia, Jenin) and in the central highlands around Ramallah. The project has a duration of 3 years (March 2021). The office is located in Al Bireh / Ramallah.
For the above mentioned project, GIZ is looking for a
Senior Project Advisor in the field of sustainable agriculture and employment development.
The Senior Project Advisor is responsible for the achievement of output A (The capacities of the Ministry of Agriculture to strengthen the livelihoods of the agricultural population are increased) and output C (The conditions for income generation and employment opportunities are improved) in close consultation with the superior.
Tasks and Functions include but are not limited to:
- Independent planning, implementing and steering of activities in order to achieve output A and C
- Monitor activities, quality management, communication and documentation
- Report results to superior and / or commissioning parties
- Manage local subsidies and financial grants
- Deal with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events
- Advise local and national partner structure in achieving joint project activities
- Advise superior on necessary changes, improvements and initiatives in light of business opportunities and assist with GIZ order management (e.g. project concepts, offer preparation, impact monitoring, international missions)
Networking and cooperation
- Set-up and manage steering structure in light of ownership by partner structure
- Ensure that all relevant partners in the field of sustainable agricultural development and sustainable economy are involved
- Support cooperation and dialogue with relevant local and international programs and create synergies on the level of activities
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Masters/MSc in Agricultural Engineering
- At least 12-15 years’ professional experience in the field of livelihoods, sustainable agricultural and economic development in Palestine
- Work experience with agricultural sector institutions, such as the Palestinian Ministry of Agriculture
- Strong networks in the field of the agricultural sector (e.g. Ministry of Agriculture, NGOs)
- Longstanding experience in the field of international cooperation
- very good working knowledge in project management including the elaboration of project action plans and budgets
- very good communication and presentation skills in local and international forums
- Work experience in Gaza in the field of livelihoods
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Arabic
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- Self-initiative and self-organized in a highly complex work environment
- Team and solution-oriented
- Ability to work under pressure
Assignment: Starting 1st of July 2018 until 31.03.2021 with possible extension.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer, and offers an attractive and challenging working environment with opportunities for skill enhancement.
A complete application must be submitted in English to the following address: [email protected], which includes the attached applicant information form, the CV and cover letter, no later than 11th June 2018.
Kindly state in the email subject “Senior Project Advisor- Livelihoods”. Any deficiency in the application will NOT be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.