The Senior Accountant (SA) oversees the day to day accounting and financial operations of SMRC. The SA will be responsible for the review, approval & reconciliation of general ledger, accounts payable & receivable, cash and stock management activities; and ensuring appropriate segregation of duties within team. Within accounts receivable, he/she will be responsible for ensuring that any physical payments received at the office are deposited and recorded in a timely manner. He/she will be responsible for forecasting cash needs, performing treasury transfers, determining if new accounts/banking services are required. He/she will be responsible for the preparation of all budgets and financial reports for the Center and donors. The Senior Accountant is a member of the Center’s management team.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Job Responsibility #1: Staff Supervision
Provide ongoing supervision, leadership, coaching support and guidance to the finance department team. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to writing job descriptions, interviewing and selecting staff, orientating new staff, training, developing individual operating plans (with staff), coaching, mentoring, and completing performance appraisals.
Responsibility #2: Monthly Payroll
- Review monthly payroll, ensuring accuracy of all calculations and that the requisite laws are adhered to.
- Review and approve the income tax, health insurance payments, ensure submission within the required time frame (e.g. before the 15th of each following month for income tax report
- Ensures the accuracy of benefit deductions/accruals (severance, annual leave, etc.) are correct and are in compliance with SMRC policy and local laws.
- Ensures payroll explanation (Salary slips) has been sent to employees within the first 7 working days of each month.
- Maintains payroll files in accordance to requisite laws and to meet SMRC financial policies.
Responsibility #3: Audit coordination, and reviewing of financial transactions
- Prepares all SMRC financial transactions to ensure compliance with SMRC and Donor procurement and accounting procedures.
- Working closely leading and coordinating the work of any Internal and external auditors, statutory MOI audits, Tax audit as well as follow up on audit action points and recommendation.
- Ensures accuracy of all monthly closing reports.
- Ensures that all records are filed as per procedures and retention policy.
- Reviewing all journals and vouchers are entered into the financial system in a timely manner.
Job Responsibility #4: Treasury, Cash Flow Management and Banking
- Review the forecast of cash needs, set cash position, request fund from HQ, and donors.
- Ensures bank transfers (foreign and local) are done in a timely manner and meet the financial obligations of the Center, including request of funds from HQ
- Initiates and follows-up on processes with ministry of Interior and banks to ensure that Bank resolutions and approvals are obtained and updated according to need.
- Follow up with Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Interior to get the annual approved bank signatory certification
- Ensure that the Center has enough check books and serial transfer letter and are stored in a safe place.
- Review of all cash receipts and cash on hand with the cash custodian every other day and make sure that all cash is deposited in the bank whenever it reaches the set limit.
Responsibility #5: Reporting
- Responsible for the preparation and submission of complete, accurate, reliable and timely financial reports to the director, management team and donors whenever needed.
Responsibility #6: Budgeting and Budget Preparation
- Working with program staff in the preparation of cost proposals.
- Preparation of the Center’s annual budget and quarterly updates/forecasts
Responsibility #7: Other duties
- Handles a number of other daily requests as needed.
- Member of the procurement committee
- Attend management team meetings to discuss issues of concern, review of policies, update on weekly plans of action.
- Attend board and management team meetings
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- MBA/Financial Management or CPA
- At least 5 years of accounting experience at NGOs or similar not-for-profit organizations.
- Excellent knowledge of Bisan Financial Software. Experience in budgeting and budget Monitoring
- Extensive experience in analyzing and applying differing requirements and regulations.
- Prior experience in supervising the work of other staff members
Managerial Know How
This position requires Related managerial know-how: Operational or conceptual integration or coordination of activities that are relatively homogeneous in nature.
- Excellent understanding of fund accounting principles and processes.
- Good written and oral communication skills in Arabic and English.
- Good computer skills in MS Word, Excel spreadsheets, internet and database software programs relating to accounting.
Human relations skills
The Human Relations Skills for this position are designated as Basic: courtesy, tack and effectiveness in dealing with others in everyday working relationships, including contacts to request or provide information.
SMRC Core Competencies:
- Respect - Behaving in a manner that reflects a true belief in and appreciation for the dignity and potential of all human beings. Gaining other people’s confidence and setting an environment of trust and openness.
- Integrity - Maintaining social, ethical, and organizational norms; firmly adhering to codes of conduct and ethical principles inherent to SMRC .
- Excellence - Setting high standards of performance for self and/or others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed; ensuring interactions and transactions are ethical and convey integrity.
- Diversity - Promoting, valuing, respecting and fully benefiting from each individual’s unique qualities, background, race, culture, age, gender, disability, values, lifestyle, perspectives or interests; creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes diversity.
Critical Competencies for SA position:
- Customer Focus – Making customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relations.
- Information Monitoring – Setting up ongoing procedures to collect and review information needed to manage an organization or ongoing activities within it.
- Planning and Organizing – Establishing courses of action for self to ensure that work is completed efficiently and effectively in accordance with SMRC core values.
- Collaboration – Working effectively and cooperatively with others toward shared goals; establishing and maintaining principle-centered working relationships.
- Initiating Action – Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking decisive action to achieve goals in times of uncertainty or in fluid contexts; being proactive.
- Follow-up – Monitoring the results of assignments, or projects, considering the skills, knowledge, and experience of the assigned individual and the characteristics of the assignment or project.
- CONTACTS/KEY RELATIONSHIPS
The Senior Accountant will interact externally with banks for financial transactions, vendors to clarify bills, donors for reporting purposes, and auditors during the course of audits. S/he will also work closely with relevant staff members on donor reporting and budgeting issues and the other team members in the regular course of duties.
- WORKING CONDITIONS:
SMRC is situated in Abu Qash/Birzeit. The incumbent should report to the office on daily basis and is expected to work from home during closures.
- Travel: Travel throughout the West Bank is required when needed. Occasional trips abroad are also necessary.