Assignment position VNG International Representative for Palestine and Resident Programme Manager for the Inclusive Decisions at Local Level (IDEAL) Programme on the West Bank.
Background of VNG International and the IDEAL Programme
VNG International is the international branch of the Netherlands Association of Municipalities. VNG International provides technical assistance and support to municipalities in over 40 countries. In Palestine, it has been implementing local development programmes for over 20 years, focusing on peace building, good governance, and institutional development. Current programmes implemented by VNG International in Palestine besides IDEAL are Decentralization of Property Taxation and the EU Area C Development Initiative. Current programmes are funded by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the European Union. VNG International’s head office is located in The Hague and it runs an office in el-Bireh with a current staff of six.
The Inclusive Decisions at Local Level in Palestine (IDEAL) programme runs from 2017 until the end of 2021. It aims to build the capacity to design and implement inclusive Local Economic Development projects and policies of staff and leaders of selected Palestinian municipalities on the West Bank and its supporting organizations, i.e. the Ministry of Local Government (MoLG), the Municipal Development and Lending Fund (MDLF), and the Association of Palestinian Local Authorities (APLA).
The programme outcomes are:
1. Palestinian municipalities, through LED, create better conditions for economic growth and generate more employment opportunities;
2. Decision-making processes at the municipal level in the area of local economic development are more inclusive and participatory;
3. The enabling environment of local governments to improve their LED services has been improved
The programme is financed by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
IDEAL is led by a programme director from VNG International’s head office in The Hague and managed by the VNG International Representative in Palestine (the Representative). The Representative reports to the programme director. The Representative is supported by a project coordinator. Administration is done in coordination between the Representative and the office financial officer. The Representative will have a representative position for VNG International and its ongoing programmes in Palestine.
Assignment description &
The Representative will be the day-to-day representative of the IDEAL programme and VNG International to beneficiaries and stakeholders in Palestine, including the national and local public sector and the international donor community.
The Representative is further responsible for the implementation of the IDEAL programme according to the requirements of the contract and in close cooperation with the programme director in The Hague.
The Representative will act in a sensitive manner to existing conflicts and gender inequalities amongst beneficiaries and stakeholders, in order not to harm or strengthen patterns of fragility and inequality.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Communicate, facilitate and coordinate between stakeholders, implementing partners and beneficiaries for VNG International in Palestine on a day-to-day basis;
- At the behest of their programme managers, liaise with stakeholders, implementing partners and beneficiaries on the behalf of the VNG International implemented programmes in Palestine.
- Cooperate and link-up with other related activities, projects and programmes, supported by the national government, the international donor community, businesses and/or NGOs in order to maximize the results of IDEAL in the country;
- Monitor developments in the programme environment and the country context , donor programming and pipe-line and identify local government related project opportunities (e.g. calls for proposals);
- Contribute to the formulation of project and programme proposals;
- Develop, organize, steer, and/or support the implementation of activities (timely delivery of inputs and outputs, writing of Terms of References, activity plans, quality control, logistics);
- Provide feedback and advice and issue recommendations for the improvement of the implementation of the Country Programme and the work plan;
- Coordinate and oversee spending of the implementation budget;
- Oversee and report on M&E activities;
- Take part in IDEAL and office learning meetings and sessions and provide to team members on improvements to the M&E system and activities.
- Prepare reports for VNG International upon the instruction of the programme director.
- Take part in steering committee meetings
- To act as expert for technical assistance for the beneficiaries where required and as stated by Programme Management in The Hague.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
A self-driven professional; A networker who understands and is able to react to the sensitive context of the local public sector, its staff and its officials; Is furthermore sensitive to existing gender inequalities and their impact on the project team and beneficiaries; Has a keen interest in economic development and believes in potential of the public sector to become a stimulus for it; Is open to change and innovation; Is ambitious but practical in working with the donor provided requirements and limitations; Is an open communicator and team player.
- University degree in economics or similar, or in political sciences, governance, public administration or similar.University degree in economics or similar, or in political sciences, governance, public administration or similar.
- Minimum of 5 years working in project management.
- Minimum of 10 years working in a politically sensitive environment;
- Demonstrated experience managing international and donor-funded capacity building or technical assistance programmes, including the planning, implementation and monitoring of activities and the budgeting and administrating finances.
- Demonstrated experience in working in or with the local government sector is considered a strong asset
- A background in economics and/or experience working in economic development programmes is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with working in a gender and conflict sensitive
- Oral and written professional fluency in Arabic and English.
Term & location
1 year, with possibility of extension. Health benefit package is included. The Representative will work from the VNG International office in el-Bireh and is expected to frequently travel on the West Bank and, infrequently, abroad.
Potential candidates are invited to this posting by replying to Amal Odeh via [email protected] before September 15 in reference to Representative & Programme Manager and attaching a recent CV and cover letter.