MÉDICOS DEL MUNDO – SPAIN
Needs to fill the position of a
PSYCHOLOGIST in Gaza
Job Title: Psychologist
Job Location: Gaza City - Gaza Strip
Deadline: August 30, 2022
Médicos del Mundo-Spain (MdM-S), is an international humanitarian organization, working to make effective the Universal Right to Health. MdM is a non-profitable, non-governmental, non-political and non-confessional organization operating under the principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality and independence.
The purpose of MdM-S is to provide access to health care services, assist in the health needs of the most vulnerable population, denounce the violations of human rights, promote social mobilization and advocate for social and political changes.
MdM-S has been working in the oPt since 2006. Its work has been oriented to Mental Health and Psychosocial support (MHPSS), and Primary Healthcare. In the Gaza Strip, MdM-S strategy aims the improvement of mental health and wellbeing of children and adolescents. This intervention is focused on the strengthening of governmental children and adolescent’s mental health services, and community organizations working with children and adolescents through a capacity building approach. This includes training activities and materials and equipment’s provision.
The objective of this position is to is to support and supervise Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) activities, collaborate with governmental actors and partners, deliver training on developmental problems and disorders of children and adolescents, to elaborate tools, protocols and best practices, to carry out assessments, surveys, supervision sessions to health, mental health and education professionals, conduct research, to participate of the humanitarian system and develop networking based on MdM-S methodology.
GEOGRAPHICAL SCOPE OF INTERVENTION
Gaza Strip. The position will be based in Gaza City, with frequent visits along the whole Gaza Strip.
Direct supervision by the Psychosocial Coordinator, under the overall operational supervision of the Field Manager. Technical components will be under guidance and indirect supervision of the Country MHPSS Coordinator.
- Adapt existing tools, lead and implement assessment sessions for needs detection, key informant interviews, focus group discussions with professionals and key community members, mapping resources, through accurate receipt of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Organize and implement capacity building activities focused on mental health and psychosocial support for key professionals
- Design pedagogic tools and tailored training on Mental Health and Psychosocial topics for health, mental health and education professionals, including partner and civil society staff members.
- Design tools and implement case management and supervision sessions with trained MHPSS field professionals.
- Design, elaborate and adapt protocols based on updated knowledge on protection and MHPSS.
- Identify best practices, lessons learnt, limitations and recommendations for the future.
- Support in the development of research.
- Contribute in the design communication materials and support technically advocacy actions.
- Support in the elaboration of Standard Operative Procedures, e.g. the child MHPSS referral system between the different professionals.
- Implement and contribute to develop quality assurance measures and tools.
- Support on MHPSS programming and drawing up new ideas for project proposals.
- Contribute to the elaboration of project proposals.
- Assist in the analysis of the data collected and reports both quantitatively and qualitatively.
-Contribute to elaborate monthly situation reports and mid-term donor reports.
- Continuously assess monitor and evaluate projects’ needs.
- Contribute to the preparation of projects activities and annual budgets.
- Elaboration of internal and externals (donors, cluster, governmental institutions) reports.
- Participate in project technical justification.
- Implementation and regularly update of the project intervention database(s).
- When requested, participate in relevant platforms/networks/clusters focused on MHPSS/health theme.
- Contributes to establish and maintain collaborative relationships within Social Development and Mental Health System and with other key partners and organizations, including services providers.
- Coordination with staff from other MdM chapters, INGOs, NGOs and CBOs.
- Collect information to support advocacy activities that follow the advocacy line of the organization.
- Perform additional duties on request of the Psychosocial Coordinator, FM, Mental Health Advisor and General Coordinator.
- Translate verbally and written from Arabic to English and from English to Arabic when necessary.
- Represent MdM-S in networks/clusters focused on MHPSS/health theme upon request of his/her supervisor.
- To attend MdM-S team meetings and to give qualitative input.
- To prepare, if necessary, contingency plans with the MdM-S team.
- To elaborate articles about the MdM interventions
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Academic / Professional background:
- Bachelor degree in Psychology.
- Preferable a master degree in Psychology, Advanced Mental Health degree or equivalent.
- Training on psychotherapy for children and adolescents is an asset.
- Ability to cope with difficult security context.
- Ability to communicate sensitively and assertively with MdM target groups.
- Ability to draft standard and clear written communication, such as letters and reports.
- Excellence in organizing, planning and prioritizing tasks.
- Coordination ability to perform his/her duties as part of a team.
- Task independency but also open to receive feedback and technical support.
- Ability to identify strengths/weaknesses, proposing solutions for the improvement of the services provided.
- Ability to provide trainings. Familiarity with creative methodologies will be considered.
- Culturally sensitive, respectful attitude and collaborative approach to diversity
- Proven sense of professional discretion, integrity, and ability to work in an international environment.
- Resilient, empathetic and with affective responsibility.
Fluent speaking and writing English, native Arabic.
Microsoft Office Package (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)