Bethlehem Arab Society For Rehabilitation (BASR), founded in 1960, is a non-profit non-government organization that is nationally recognized for the comprehensive specialized health, rehabilitation, and development services it renders to the Palestinian population, particularly persons with disability, through its varied center based, outreach and community based programs. For further information about BASR, please visit: www.basr.org
BASR is currently seeking to fill the following position:
Position Title: Project Officer
Accountable To: Livelihood Program Manager
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Key Responsibilities, Tasks and Duties:
The Project Officer is part of the program and project development team of BASR responsible for:
- Understand disability related laws and conventions governing services to persons with disabilities, adopting a human rights approach to disability.
- Design and implement livelihood interventions and activities in close coordination with the program manager.
- Provide technical oversight in the field of livelihood especially in vocational training and career counseling components.
- Facilitate the introduction of persons with disabilities to services related to career counselling, vocational training, and ensure the sustainability of livelihood interventions.
- Provide technical reports on the progress of related activities.
- Maintain communication link and information flow between BASR, its partners, CBOs, DPOs and other livelihood related stakeholders.
- Develop the program’s database and network of skills and vocational training institutions in the public and private sectors.
- Promote advocacy for the rights and needs of people with disabilities, with special focus on the right to access livelihood opportunities.
- Refer people with disabilities to the Economic Empowerment program through extensive field visits.
- Participate in meetings, seminars and professional development activities to keep technically and share information with relevant staff.
- Maintain relevant files, records and reports.
- Bachelor degree in Social Sciences, Disability Studies, Psychology, Special Education, Human Rights Studies, or relevant fields.
- Proven experience in disability and community work, Minimum 4 years of international development/non-profit experience.
- Excellent Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email, Internet).
- Driving License is necessary.
- The job description is only a guiding framework for both the organisation and the Project Officer. The job features a very broad range of responsibilities and thus requires an all-rounder with the willingness and capability to expose him / herself to new situations and new problems, never too tired to continue learning and searching for new and appropriate ways to overcome those problems. The job will require a lot of drive and initiative, great flexibility, a strong learning attitude and a great deal of professionalism in order to gain and maintain credibility in the eyes of colleagues and external stakeholders. In order to be able to fulfil the above outlined responsibilities the following professional and personal features seem important.
Competencies and Skills:
- Good understanding and commitment to the objectives and values of the organisation and a capacity to represent BASR's views as required.
- Good understanding of the social model of disability.
- Demonstrated understanding of the range of issues facing people with disabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to be inclusive and diplomatic.
- Well-developed people and interpersonal skills with the capacity to relate to a wide range of people.
- Ability to manage and prioritize a range of tasks, plan workloads and meet deadlines.
- High-level facilitation and presentation skills.
- Capacity of strategic thinking, leadership and decision-making.
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to produce high quality reports in both Arabic and English.
- Capacity for planning and ability to work with little supervision.
- A strong sense of initiative.
- A strong sense of diplomacy, sociability and interpersonal communication.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in writing and orally with groups and individuals.
- Skills in document composition.
- Demonstrated knowledge of office systems and procedures, including well-developed computer skills, particularly MS Office and internet.
- Willingness and ability to work occasionally at non-standard hours and to undertake travel to different areas and districts throughout the West Bank.
- Willingness to work in an NGO environment and understand its values.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and with staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work under pressure in a conscientious and organized manner.
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks efficiently.
- Excellent proposal and report writing skills including familiarity with health / disability or education sectors.
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal and team working skills
- Communicating clearly and effectively (in oral and written forms in both Arabic and English) and relating well with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to work under pressure in a conscientious and organized manner;
- Ability to liaise effectively with the multiple stakeholders like the local community, the public and donor agencies.
Interested candidates with relevant education and experience are encouraged to send their CV and a motivation letter by email to [email protected] and indicate the position in the subject, no later than 14 January 2019.