Specific Job title: Project Manager/ Child Protection Specialist
First name and last name (employee):
Reports to (hierarchy): Head of Gaza Office
(working relationships): works in a daily close collaboration mainly with the Child Protection Officer, Admin, Finance & Logistic Specialist and with the Logistic Assistant.
As well as with the operational team from the three implementing partners
Location : Gaza (Palestine)
General conditions: position based in Gaza with potential sporadic travels to Jerusalem for coordination meetings at the Tdh main office.
Position grade: Grade 4
Number of subordinates:
Working Hours: Sunday to Thursday, 40 hours per week (100%)
Starting date: 1st of July 2018
General conditions: currently, budget is granted at least until May 2019, with possibility of extension, depends on funding
Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is the largest non-governmental organisation for children’s aid in Switzerland. Since 1973, date of opening Tdh delegation in Palestine, Tdh is providing concrete and efficient assistance to most vulnerable members of society through its interventions focused on four main objectives: (i) combatting child labor, (ii) providing justice for minors, (iii) implementing child protection systems and (iv) contributing to develop an inclusive education system.
Tdh has operations in Bethlehem and Gaza. Its Coordination Office is based in East Jerusalem and an Operational Office in Gaza. For this latter, Tdh is seeking a qualified Project Manager, who will be responsible for leading on the implementation of OCHA-funded project entitled "Meeting the Protection Needs of Vulnerable Children in the Gaza Strip through Child Protection Case Management System".
General job description:
The Project Manager is in charge to ensure an accurate, proper, timely and high quality implementation of the "Meeting the Protection Needs of Vulnerable Children in the Gaza Strip through Child Protection Case Management System", that means s/he has a major responsibility for the project steering and outcomes.
The three main tasks of this function are:
- Management Team and Coordination: follow, support and supervise the successful implementation of the aforementioned project by the team;
- Projects Cycle Management (PCM): develop and coordinate, under the supervision of the Head of Gaza Office and in close collaboration with the others key positions of the delegation, the PCM;
- Programs Technical quality: ensure, the technical quality of the approaches and project implemented, as well as the capacity-building of the technical skills of the team.
- Ensures that a daily support as well as punctual trainings are organized and provided in order to develop and strengthen the programmatic technical skills of the team implemting the Project;
- Encourages effective team work, especially on issues related to cross-sectoral collaboration;
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Terre des hommes Palestine. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Tdh’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
- Under the lead of the Head of Gaza Office and in collaboration with other colleagues, participates as an active member in regular internal coordination meetings, in which s/he presents a detailed review of current achievements, challenges faced and options considered for the project;
- Ensure the correct flow of operational information related to her/his project within the office and also to the others departments in the delegation;
- Perform Risk management to minimize project risk, jointly with Head of Office and Admin, Finance, Logistics, and Security Specialist
- Coordinate all the project activities, including the coordination with the local implementing partners, relevant ministries, other NGOs, and actors in the areas, seeking possible synergies and to avoid duplication;
- Develop and maintain liaisons with relevant ministries and entities in order to facilitate work development progress;
- In agreement with the Head of Gaza Office, ensures, her/himself or in determining the most appropriate person, a regular attendance of Tdh in relevant Cluster meetings at Local level and that a proper dataflow/information restitution within the office, and with others departements in the delegation where appropriate, is done;
Project Cycle Management
- Takes the lead to the organization, coordination and conducting of the kick off meetings;
- Overseeing the planning and implementation of the project under her/his responsability through the management and supervision of the associated ressources in the team (field visit, regular project monitoring reports, monthly reports, etc.);
- Ensures the set-up of a M&E system (M&E plan, M&E tools, analysis) in accordance with her/his project. Guarantees a monthly quality follow-up of data;
- In collaboration with the Admin, Finance & Logistic Specialist, ensures the correct financial management of project and activities and the funds available for them. Guarantees a monthly tracking of budgets;
- In collaboration with all others Departments, contributes actively to prepare narrative, statistical and financial reports for donors as required, in a timely manner, as well as concept note and proposal for developing the portfolio.
- Guarantees a correct communication and visibility of the project under her/his responsibility and the Tdh Foundation. Produce, with the support of the MENA Regional Communication Coordinator, awareness/advocacy documents;
- In collaboration with the MENA Regional Communication Coordinator, contributes actively to draft articles or required internal reports on the project’s activities for HQ;
- Takes the lead to the organization, coordination and conducting of the closure workshops.
Project Technical Quality
- Ensure a proper and timely delivery of the project under her/his responsability, according to agreed outcomes, within budget and on time, by the project team;
- Provides technical support and guidance to the project team, in order to ensure an excellent level of quality of the project implemented, compliant with the international standards, but also to those of Tdh and donors.
- Oversee the proper monitoring of the project impact, assessment of the value of each activity in terms of its contribution to expected outcomes. Discuss and validate with Head of Gaza Office the proposed changes/adjustments in activities if needed;
- Identify the most appropriate and secure delivery mechanisms to implement Cash support;
- Ensure gender and child protection mainstreaming in all Tdh activities.
- Respects the Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy (CSP) and its principles of child protection, ensuring the policy’s implementation and prompt notification of the CSP Focal Point with any information regarding potential breaches of the policy;
- Is aware of, abides by and promotes the practices and values set out in all other Tdh policies and procedures such as the Internal Regulations, Standard Operating Procedures and other policies;
- Undertake all other duties that may be requested by the line-manager and that are compatible with the job.
Professional and Personal Competencies
The Project Manager is expected to have the following competencies to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results:
- Strong managerial, coordination, and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently with minimum level of supervision Integrity and honesty in management of financial resources
- Demonstrated experience in working in partnership with local partners, experience in capacity building, training development and facilitation in areas of project implementation
- Ability to be flexible, cooperative and to work autonomously
- Proactive and able to take initiative
- Committed and self-motivated
- Able to manage stress and complexity
- Promote safety and security
- Commitment to the humanitarian imperative
- Strong attention to details
- Strong understanding of gender and child rights issues
- University degree in international development, social work, human rights, or related field
- Master degree is an asset
- At least 5 years of experience in the humanitarian sector, ideally with an INGO
- Experience in the of child protection
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to manage financial resources with utmost integrity
- Fluency in English and Arabic is a must
- Valid driving license
Qualified and interested candidates should send their CV along with a cover letter to [email protected] no later than June 18th. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications received beyond this deadline, hand-delivered or mailed to the office, will not be considered. No additional information will be provided by phone or email.
Please write “Project Manager – Gaza Office” in the subject of your application email.
Due to high volume of applications only short listed candidates will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis; interested candidates should apply as soon as possible.