Project Coordination Unit – Project Manager
The Palestinian Water Authority (PWA) is requesting a grant from the World Bank, International Development Association (IDA) to increase equitable access to safe water and sanitation services and to improve service delivery. This objective is expected to be achieved over a 12-year period through a Series of Projects (SoP), of which the operation detailed in this document is the first. The programmatic approach will ensure continuity of the sector engagement and also facilitate a sustained contribution to the Bank’s ongoing support to the water sector in the West Bank and Gaza (WB&G). The proposed Program will have strong links to the water sector interventions co-financed by the World Bank and the Partnership for Infrastructure Development Multi-Donor Trust Fund (PID MDTF) that play a crucial role in addressing the challenges in the sector and critical water services in priority areas under the first project, while also laying the basis for rebuilding better in the long-term.
The Program is expected to consist of three projects that will overlap in time and vary in geography, with a consistent component-level design to facilitate scaling-up. The three projects are expected to commence in 2023, 2026 and 2028, respectively. The anticipated duration of the first project is five years while the duration of subsequent projects is expected to be six years each, with overlapping periods. Overall SoP completion is expected by 2035.
The focus of the proposed SoP-1 will be on improving water services in line with the PWA’s priorities and the water sector’s strategic development plan and desire to improve water services in areas with the lowest water per capita and improve service providers operational and financial performance. In order to address the long-term structural challenges of lack of water supply, and contribute to a resilient and sustainable recovery, the project will also undertake strategic sector reform and capacity building activities supporting water sector institutions, encouraging a robust reform agenda and providing targeted technical support for improved management of O&M toward financial sustainability of the sector and contribute to the improvement and containment of and bolster the water sector’s resilience to future disasters such as COVID-19.
Project Components: The Project will consist of four components:
Component 1 - Improvement of Water and Wastewater service management: the project will finance investments in the water and wastewater facilities. The aim of these investments is to provide safely managed water supply services to unserved population and ensure efficiency of the operation and maintenance of existing wastewater treatment plants. This component will finance the implementation of the water supply infrastructure required to improve access to and quality of water supply in North Jenin including expansion of water distribution networks to remove critical bottlenecks and improve water allocation in selected areas in WB&G and preparation of feasibility studies for the second Project.
Component 2 - Improve performance of Water Sector Service Providers: This component aims at strengthening the capacity of the water institutions and the SPs’ operational and financial efficiency, and their responsiveness emergencies. It will also provide necessary technical assistance and capacity building activities to address sector challenges and sector reform to accelerate the implementation of reform related to the clustering of service providers under the LGUs and establishment of RWUs. This subcomponent will also include interventions to enhance the PWA’s capacity to develop and implement water sector policies, strategies, and sector development plans and will support improved social accountability of service providers. The technical assistance will provide general planning and institution-building support to improve service providers performance in line with the PDO. In particular: (a) Sector Reform and Strategic Planning; (b) Improve Financial and Operational Performance of the Service Providers; (c) Improve Social Accountability of Service Providers.
Component 3 - Project Management and Monitoring: This component will support the Project Coordination Team (PCU) hosted within PWA and Project Implementation Unit (PIU) that will coordinate, implement, monitor and report on the project implementation progress.
Component 4 - Contingent Emergency Response Component This component will improve the PA’s ability to respond effectively in the event of an emergency in line with World Bank procedures on disaster prevention and preparedness.
The PWA intends to engage an individual consultant in the West Bank as Project Manager. The Project Manager shall be responsible for general management of the project activities and consultants, participate in and supervising the implementation of the Project, including environment, social, procurement, and financial management, on a day-to-day basis.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Project Manager will perform the following tasks:
- Provision of support to the Project in terms of project management, procurement, financial management and other issues related to project implementation in accordance with the WB’s rules and procedures.
- Coordination and management of PCU consultants and resources and provide support to the PIU Head in management of their consultants, including monitoring of activities carried out under the Project.
- Operational communication with Project partners from PWA as well as the Ministry of Finance, and other project stakeholders and related agencies;
- Short-term and long-term planning, supervision and overall responsibility for implementation of the project, reporting, monitoring and assessment,
- Responsible for implementation/ coordination of institutional component progress of works in the Project;
- Permanent coordination and guidance of villages councils participating in the Project to ensure their performance indicators are delivered according to the agreed schedule of Project implementation;
- Coordination of main tasks and activities of Project Implementation Units (PIUs);
- Management of PCU budget, including formulation of budget requests and management of financial resources;
- organization of PCU staffing, evaluation and career development;
- Liaisons and cooperation with the World Bank and overall responsibility for implementation of the Project, reporting, monitoring and assessment of the Project;
- checking and initialing of all documents under the Project;
- Performance of other assignments as required under the Project.
REPORTING AND CONTRACT DURATION
- The project Coordinator or PCU Head will report to PWA Chairman. The project Coordinator is required to complete monthly time sheets to identify the time spent. The Project Coordinator may request the submission of supporting draft documents, etc. which the Consultant prepares and works on during the assignment.
- The contract will be a time-based contract and include a period of one year on a full-time basis, extendable based on the consultant’s performance and as demand necessity.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- REQUIRED EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- University degree in engineering law/management/economics/finance ;
- Experience of work in the implementation of projects in water supply and sanitation for at least 10 years;
- Experience of management work at least 10 years;
- Knowledge of IBRD rules and procedures relating to financial management and procurement practices ;
- Excellent command of English, and good command of the national languages.
- Experience of work with international agencies and financial organizations;
Excellent interpersonal communications and coordination skills, and proven ability to work constructively with a variety of stakeholders to achieve common goals
Interested consultants shall submit her/his applications including (Cover letter, CV describing similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, etc.) which must be delivered by email addressed below no later than 10/10/2022.
For more clarification, please do not hesitate in contacting the us during working hours (8:00 am-15:00pm).
Tel: 02 2987665