Job Title: Project Manager
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Duty Station: East Jerusalem with frequent travel to the West Bank and Gaza
Start Date: As soon as possible
Duration of Contract: 12 months with the possibility to extend based on fund availability and satisfactory performance
Closing Date: 18 March 2021 (midnight New York, USA time)
Over 50 years of the Israeli occupation has had a lasting severe and differentiated effect on Palestinian communities, societies, and institutions putting into question the viability of a contiguous Palestinian State. Spatial fragmentation and isolation have also manifested as national, community and psychological fragmentation and separation between and across Palestinians in the East Jerusalem, West Bank and Gaza. Fragmentation is a key challenge to overcome, which has produced varying community needs and capacities to meet those needs across the West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza. The lack of Palestinian sovereignty in Area C, H2, Seam Zones, Gaza and East Jerusalem has resulted in the particularly precarious and ongoing vulnerability that characterize the daily lives of these communities. As a result, there are growing gaps to development across Palestine and eroding trust between the Palestinian people and the government in the absence of a clear political and economic vision.
Simultaneously amidst the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, the socioeconomic impact will be significant with already high levels of poverty and unemployment, disproportionately affecting women and youth. Depending on the extent and duration of the ongoing COVID-19 crisis and the resulting downturn in economic activity, forecasts by the World Bank estimate a decline in national GDP between 2.6% and 7.6%. Already experiencing a two-year fiscal crisis, the economic contraction brought about by the crisis is bound to result in a sizeable gap in public finances, where government revenues are expected to decrease by at least 40%. The deteriorating fiscal sustainability of the Palestinian government will have a serious impact on the ability to ensure social safety networks are sustained. Not only does the Palestinian government require support in enhancing capacities to enable continuity of services, particularly government to government (G2G) services in the current disruptive circumstances, but also ensuring vulnerable groups and communities have access to the required support to mitigate further erosion of livelihoods and economic activity while adapting practices to bounce back towards socioeconomic recovery and development.
As such, Supporting Transformative Resilience in Area C, East Jerusalem and Gaza represents one of the government’s mechanisms to 1) operationalise the governmental priorities and strategies in Area C, Gaza and East Jerusalem, including COVID-19 national socioeconomic recovery efforts and the Prime Minister’s cluster development approach; 2) build the blocks of self-reliance through addressing multidimensional needs; and 3) operationalise the H-D nexus in the target areas to link short term interventions with longer term results.
The desired outcome of this programme is: Palestinians in East Jerusalem, Gaza and Area C have improved resilience through reduced development gaps and enhanced access to sustainable and quality services and economic opportunities in the targeted areas. This programme will contribute to building the resilience of the Palestinian people, particularly affected by geographical drivers of vulnerability, and hence aims to reduce developmental gaps and improve the socio-economic conditions of Area C, East Jerusalem and Gaza towards national sustainable development. In line with the principles of transformative resilience this programme aims: To improve delivery and access to services and economic opportunities for vulnerable groups in Area C, East Jerusalem and Gaza, particularly women and youth; To enhance political, cultural, economic and social cohesion and improve inclusion of most vulnerable groups, particularly women and youth; To support institutional and behavioural changes towards improving the enabling environment to reduce socioeconomic inequalities, including gender inequality.
In this regard, UNDP is seeking a candidate to fill the position of Project Manager, under the guidance of the Assistant Special Representative and the direct supervision of the Programme Design & Implementation Analyst. The expected duration of the contract is 36 months and the Service Contract extension will be conditioned to satisfactory performance evaluation as well as availability of funding under the project.
- Ensuring effective project management of the assigned project by maintaining the delivery of appropriate technical, operational, financial and administrative outputs, while tracking the project’s progress through monitoring and evaluation;
- Coordination and building strong partnerships with the implementing partners and relevant stakeholders;
- Preparation and assistance to finalization of reporting;
- Knowledge sharing and other relevant responsibilities pertaining to the project implementation and contribution to the office, focusing on achievement of the following results below;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Supervisors.
Ensuring effective project management of the assigned project by maintaining the delivery of appropriate technical, operational, financial and administrative outputs, while tracking the project’s progress through monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Implement and manage the project on a day-to-day basis, coordinate the implementation of the respective activities based on the relevant project document, including, as needed, supervision and guidance of other project staff, consultants and experts with a view to achieving project results;
- Ensure the timely and quality delivery of planned project activities;
- Develop comprehensive/detailed project work-plans that include all project activities and roles and responsibilities of the stakeholders and set-out corresponding milestones;
- Monitor the progress of implementation of project activities and key event schedules observing the work-plans and set deadlines, including monitoring of the financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Mobilize goods and services to support project activities, including Call for Proposals, drafting TORs and works/product requirements and specifications;
- Manage and monitor project risks initially identified, submitting information on the new risks and possible mitigating measures to the Project Board for consideration and updating the status of these risks by maintaining a Project Risk Log;
- Assume responsibilities in line with the office Internal Control Framework and act as a `first authority` for Project transactions;
- Ensure the adherence of project activities to the existing financial, procurement and administrative processes that are in line with prevailing UNDP rules and regulations and, at the same time, observe the project timelines;
- Manage project tracking in ATLAS in accordance with UNDP procedures;
- Manage the transfer of project deliverables to national beneficiaries and other project stakeholders.
- Ensure that gender equality is pursued in all project activities and reflected in work plans, budgets, reports, researches, analyses and, where relevant, analyzed in detail;
- Ensure that accessibility for persons with disabilities is reflected in all project activities;
- Consult regularly with other UNDP projects and programs on related activities, where synergies are possible;
- Strive to engage groups and communities in project activities that affect them;
- Communicate project goals and activities clearly to both stakeholders and the wider public.
Coordination and building strong partnerships with the implementing partners and relevant stakeholders, focusing on achievement of the following:
- Maintain strong relationships with the implementing partners, line ministries and other relevant partners and donors;
- Finalize the contractual agreements with implementing partners;
- Maintain regular coordination and quality assurance of expert inputs and products, as well as among project partners to ensure coherence and complementarity of project activities;
- Identify opportunities for deepening the cooperation and recommending adequate approaches to dealing with different stakeholders based on information on all relevant stakeholders gathered during projects’ implementation;
- Maintain regular communication on relevant project issues with the local and international counterparts, consultants and experts and ensuring quality and timely delivery of all agreed outputs;
- Maintain effective linkages with current and potential donors;
- Submit reports to UNDP, partners and donors in a quality and timely manner.
Preparation and assistance to finalization of reporting, focusing on achievement of the following;
- Prepare project progress reports (progress against planned activities, update on risks issues, expenditures…) and ensure timely submission of the reports to the relevant instances, such as the project boards and relevant donor(s);
- Assist in periodical corporate reporting, including Atlas quarterly progress and ROAR, and;
- Update and file the relevant documentation.
Knowledge sharing and other relevant responsibilities pertaining to the project implementation and contribution to the office, focusing on achievement of the following;
- Ensure compilation and synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices throughout project implementation;
- Support the strategic sharing of relevant knowledge and information gathered throughout project implementation phase, in close collaboration with the Communications & Partnerships Specialist and the Programme Design & Implementation Analyst;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Actively learning for professional skills and career, and;
- Relevant issues and tasks guided by Programme Design & Implementation Analyst
Perform any other duties as assigned by the Supervisors
Ability to make new and useful ideas work: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully
Ability to persuade others to follow: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction: Models independent thinking and action
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services
Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships
Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
Ability to support partner countries' capacity to manage
ODA resources effectively and harmonise with national policy and financing frameworks
Report WritingAbility to prepare quality reports
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Master’s degree Project Management, Business Administration, Development Studies, or Economics.
• MA with a minimum 5 years of relevant experience in managing similar development programmes, out of which 2 years of experience in project management, including financial, budget, risk, staff, as well as quality management.
• BA with a minimum 10 years of relevant experience in managing similar development programmes, out of which 2 years of experience in project management, including financial, budget, risk, staff, as well as quality management
• Experience in international or non-profit organizations and its management is desirable
• Knowledge of the UN system and familiarity with UNDP procedures would be an asset.
• Project management certification will be an asset
Proficiency in Arabic and English languages is required
Other: Non-smoking environment
المسمى الوظيفي Project Manager
آخر موعد للتقديم 18 - Mar - 2021
نوع الوظيفة دوام كامل
المستوى المهني إدارة
الدرجة العلمية الماجستير
الخبرة 5 Years
التصنيف الإدارة والأعمال
Interested and qualified candidates can apply online through Apply Now - تقدم الآن لهذه الوظيفة
نصيحة من جوبس لحمايتك : عند التقدم لاية وظيفة عن طريق الانترنت، لا تقم بإعطاء معلومات بطاقة الأعتماد او أية معلومات بنكية / مالية لصاحب عمل.
آخر الوظائف المعلنة بواسطة برنامج الأمم المتحدة الإنمائي UNDP
UNDSS Field Security Associate
Community Outreach Coordinator
رام الله والبيرة
Local Consultant for OHCHR
قطاع غزة, القدس, رام الله والب...
رام الله والبيرة
(TVET) Project Manager
رام الله والبيرة
OHCHR Human Rights Officer
23, Dec, 2020