Project Manager, LDC Band “G”/ S3 (Limited Duration Contract)
Project Funded Post
Deadline for Applications 13 Aug 2020
Contract type & Duration Limited Duration Contract Band “G”/S3, for one year extendable up to 3 years based on satisfactory performance, availability of funds, and continued need of the post.
Vacancy Announcement Number VN/WB/054/2020/X
Duty Station & Department Field Office Jerusalem- Infrastructure and Camp Improvement Programme, West Bank
UNRWA is committed to achieving gender parity at all levels of staffing under the current UN-wide gender agenda and strongly encourages applications from qualified women.
UNRWA welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities.
UNRWA, the largest United Nations operation in the Middle East with over 30,000 staff working across five areas of operation, is looking for professionals like you.
UNRWA’s human development goals
UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states, regional bodies, business foundations and individual contributions. UNRWA has identified four human development goals as the focus of the Agency’s operations in committing to fostering human development of Palestine refugees by helping them to: lead long and healthy lives, acquire knowledge and skills, achieve decent standards of living and enjoy human rights to the fullest possible extent.
How can you make a difference?
You will be joining a team of around 4,000 staff in the West Bank Field Office working to foster the human development of some 800,000 registered Palestine refugees.
The incumbent is responsible and shall report to the Chief Infrastructure and Camp Improvement Programme West Bank Field Office (chief, ICIP WBFO).
The main responsibilities include:
In accordance with UNRWA’s regulatory framework and instructions issued by the Agency, the incumbent is responsible for UNRWA’s higher supervision of the Project “Construction of Cancer Treatment and Palliative Care Center at Al-Motala (Augusta Victoria) Hospital (AVH) in Jerusalem”. This includes ensuring the successful and timely implementation, as per the plans, within budget and in accordance with quality standards taking into consideration the potential risks of the project. This includes coordination with AVH, the AVH consultant, the contractor and his team as well as reporting to the management of UNRWA ICIP. Under the leadership of the Chief of ICIP, and compliance with all relevant agency regulations, the senior Project Manager will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Acquaints him/herself with the Financing Agreement signed between the Donor and UNRWA and all its integral parts and establishes the requirements for project delivery.
- Monitors the project requirements and final deliverables to ensure adherence to set criteria.
- Acquaints him/herself with the MOU and any SOPs signed between UNRWA and Augusta Victoria Hospital (AVH), and ensures compliance with the MOU, SOPs and all other relevant documents.
- Provides overall and higher supervision of the AVH project to make sure that standards of building, performance, costs, time schedules and safety are maintained; responsible for compliance with the Tender Documents including BoQ/ change control.
- Prepares Project(s) risk management plans; ensures their appropriate observation during the project(s) implementation; responsible for quality planning, assurance and control.
- Is responsible for contract administration including conducting site meetings on daily basis; identification and preparation of draft variation orders for ICIP senior management approval; carrying out analysis and making recommendations on construction claims and making sure that the contractor meets contractual requirements of safety, environment and health, insurance and security deposits/guarantees.
- Monitor and report to senior management in ICIP on the progress of all project activity, including significant milestones, and any conditions, which would affect project cost, schedule, quality or risk profile. Develop recommendations and action plans to resolve issues / risks affecting or likely to affect the successful execution of the project
- Monitor project master schedule and work progress including milestones date. Take corrective action in coordination with the consultants
- Overarching quality control of works carried out by the contractor, including by engaging specialized support where necessary.
- Monitor the contractor’s progress and prepare progress reports on a monthly basis to ICIP senior management. Preside at weekly review, monthly and other progress meetings held at the site
- Review and evaluate variations and contractor’s claims and make recommendations to ICIP senior management
- Assist in reviewing contractor’s change order proposals. Prepare recommendations to ICIP senior management for change order approval, if warranted - all in conjunction with the UNRWA designated Consultant team (mechanical and electrical).
- Assist in negotiations with contractors regarding changes in contract value or project duration.
- Verification of compliance with agreed design, BoQ, specifications and drawings.
- Ensure timely implementation of works.
- Provide feedback and guidance, where necessary, to AVH consultant through weekly meetings which will be documented through formal letters and report. Develop a dynamic project tracking sheet /data base which will be updated on regular bases ,
- Certify invoices from the contractor through conducting several spot checks and measurements needed before final approval by UNRWA Director of Works.
- Keeps records and copies of all project related documents.
- Participate in the final inspection of the work with AVH Consultant and Contractor. Monitor final completion of the work. Recommend acceptance of the completed work to ICIP senior management after receiving the same from the Consultant.
- Review project’s final account and recommend to ICIP senior management
- Issue provisional and final completion certificates (This is the responsibility of ICIP senior management).
- Maintains effective relationships with internal and external project stakeholders including donors, the local authorities, other UN Agencies and NGOs for the advancement of the project.
- Facilitates visits by donor representatives and other external interlocutors to the Project(s) area in coordination with the Projects office, External Relations and Communication Department.
- Ensures effective project visibility from an Agency and donor perspective.
- Liaises with UNRWA safety and security regarding security matters.
- Monitors and controls financial expenditure of the project(s) in coordination with Finance Dept., ensuring commitment to the donor and other requirements; provides timely advice to ICIP senior management.
- Measures / checks implemented quantities and keeps relevant records; checks and certifies correctness of interim and final payments.
- Devises and maintains a proper tracking system for all payments to and from the project.
- Ensure that all As-built drawings are submitted by the end of the project to AVH and ICID– HQ (Jerusalem).
- Perform such other duties as may be required.
Incumbent is expected to also deliver the below:
- Daily site memos / reports on site on the day to day oversight of the project.
- Detailed work plan with resource management, quality checks , safety measure, compliance with municipality rules and regulations, and risk plan
- Bi-weekly reports on work progress shared with UNRWA’s Director of Works
- Weekly meetings with the AVH consultant and contractor with signed Minutes of meetings.
- Quarterly forecasting for the project with detailed report on forecasted progress.
- Records and copies of all project related documents
- Tracking system for all payments to and from the project is established and maintained
- As-built drawings are submitted by the end of the project to AVH and ICID – HQ (Jerusalem).
Conditions of service Monthly basic salary of JD2,136.30.
Other benefits include:
✔ Dependency Allowances payable and other benefits+ (Medical Insurance) & Currency Adjustment Factor.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
To qualify for this position, you will need:
University degree in Civil/ Structural Engineering, preferably with specific knowledge of major construction projects with specific focus on hospital construction.
Master’s degree in construction management is an asset.
PMP certification is an advantage.
Minimum of 15 Years of experience in senior management role for major construction projects (Strong preference for experience in delivery of hospital projects) management relevant to the post’s duties and responsibilities in addition to experience as technically in charge-of the overall planning, management and execution of construction maintenance projects.
Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
Have a valid Israeli driving license to drive in Jerusalem.
You will also need to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Very strong and solid experience/ability in involving relevant stakeholders in the planning and implementation of construction and maintenance projects;
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others in a proactive team environment;
- Ability to present information and data in a clear and constructive manner;
- Good analytical and numerical skills, including the use of MS Excel and other related computer proficiencies. sound professional judgment;
- Ability to work under stress and pressure.
- Demonstrated problem- solving skills.
- Ability to produce/review detailed plans for construction projects.
- Ability to produce high level of progress reports to UNRWA senior management.
- Extensive knowledge of internationally-accepted project management, construction industry principle and practices / safety / quality management systems.
- Ability to handle multiple cross disciplinary tasks and establish priorities for the timely completion of construction project.
- Knowledge of applicable Jerusalem Municipality construction regulations and laws, and any other regulations issued by local authorities, ministries related to construction of hospitals and mega public buildings projects.
- Knowledge of quality control protocols within Jerusalem Municipality frame works of construction projects.
- East Jerusalem resident with a valid driving license.
- Good command of Hebrew language.
Candidates with an equivalent combination of relevant academic qualifications, professional training and progressive work experience may also be considered if there will not be enough qualified candidates.
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at jobs.unrwa.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNRWA Personal History Form. Only applications received through jobs.unrwa.org will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNRWA vacancies, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted.