Project Manager- Local Position
Vacancy No. PT /01/2018
Background of VNG International
VNG International is the International Cooperation Agency of the Association of Netherlands Municipalities. We support decentralization processes and facilitate decentralized cooperation. The organization strengthens local governments, their associations, training institutes and decentralization task forces both in developing countries and in countries in transition.
VNG International is implementing decentralization of property tax in the Palestinian Territories. This pilot project is funded by the Dutch Government through the Netherlands Representative Office in Ramallah, and aims at investigating how decentralization of property tax can contribute to enhance (property) tax revenues to enable municipalities in the Palestinian Territories to deliver improved basic services to citizens.
The Palestinian Authority has identified land sector reform as a main priority in the National Policy Agenda. In January 2017, the Prime Minister’s Office presented a Road Map for reforming the Palestinian land sector. The Road Map addresses six pillars, including property tax reform. Domestic revenue mobilization is key to the development of Palestinian municipalities, not least because of the municipalities’ role in reaching the Sustainable Development Goals. Property tax is to be at the heart of municipal revenue mobilization and one of the six pillars under the newly adopted Road Map for Reforming the Palestinian Land Sector. For the implementation of the Road Map a National Committee has been established under the leadership of the Prime Minister.
These recent steps provide a strong cadre for the reform of property tax collection. It also fits within the National Policy Agenda 2017-2022 ‘Putting Citizens First’, which aims ‘to expand LGU taxation, revenue-raising and resource management mandates’. A program to strengthen property tax collection is therefore not an isolated activity, but forms an integral part of the NPA, the land sector reform and wider reform plans including strengthening public finance management at the municipal level.
Municipalities have an important role to play in the development of Palestine, as they are close to the citizens and better equipped to provide better services, once their revenue base has been strengthened. For the PA, property tax is a key to successful decentralization.
A weak revenue basis for them is a key constraint for the municipalities to provide better services to their citizens, but also the strongest constraint to LGU performance.
Moreover, The Cabinet agreed to a limited pilot to transfer the responsibility to municipalities for the collection and management of property tax. Where the municipalities are certain that they are ready to take over the responsibility to levy and collect property tax. As an outcome they all expect revenues to increase significantly.
Specific objectives of the project are:
1- Enhance property tax revenues and services to citizens when Municipalities are given a full mandate to collect property tax themselves;
2- Improve performance of the Ministry of Finance in terms of increased transparency and budget transfers to municipalities;
3- Roadmap developed on the best kind of decentralization of property tax in the context of the Palestinian Territories.
The Project Manager together with the VNG International management will be:
- Responsible for full project implementation, supervision and day-to-day management.
- Support the coordinators of each municipality, the Ministry of Finance and the task force working on the decentralization of property tax roadmap.
- Monitor and Evaluate project activities throughout the project lifecycle.
- Build and manage close communication and relationships with main stakeholders and partners; ministries, targeted municipalities in WB, International & Local experts, IT Service providers, project partners and other development agencies.
- Ensure compliance with VNG International quality standards and integration of best practice as well as adherence with donors and contractual requirements.
- Manage the process of baseline assessments and analysis for multi local beneficiary agencies, staff, and IT support and taxpayer communication.
- Review and approve the project development strategy.
- Produce project progress reports: on monthly, quarterly and annual basis in compliance with IATI standards, for VNG International.
- Contribute to a capacity building plan for each pilot municipality and MoF on the decentralization of property tax (including revenue generation training).
- Follow the financial progress of projects/programs and advise the delegation on procurement, tenders and payments.
- Draft TORs, initiate tendering through the entire process, and proposals evaluation.
The Project Manager will work in VNG International Palestine’s office in Ramallah to provide technical planning, coordination, and implementation of the project’s related activities. S/he will also work closely with the Director of the Branch Office (DBO) to ensure project implementation across project activities.
The Project Manager will report on a day to day basis to the DBO.
- Advanced Educational degree in Organizational Change Management, Institutional building & development, Project Management or fiscal economy with proven experience in project management. Experience in Local Governance is a plus.
- 4 to 5 years proven track record of effective management: Planning, monitoring, budget oversight, property tax management, leadership in Local Governance.
- Proven ability to provide technical support, develop excellent diplomatic communication, organizational skills, training skills and team management.
- Excellent command of English & Arabic with an exceptional communications and interactive skills.
- Outstanding planning and organizational skills; Excellent social, Possesses research and group meeting, facilitation and presentation skills; in both oral and writing.
- Sound problem solving, quality negotiation and reporting skills.
One year extendable, including three months' probation period.
Place of the assignment
VNG International- Palestine Branch Office
Qualified candidates are kindly requested to send the following documents:
- An updated CV including three professional references.
- One page cover letter, detailing relevant experience and qualifications for this position.
To the following email addresses: [email protected]
Deadline for submitting applications is: Wednesday, September 5th, 2018 COB. Please indicate the position title as "PM-DPT" in the email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Applicants that do not meet the specified minimum requirements, or received after the closing date will not be considered.
VNG International is an equal opportunity employer.