Terms of Reference for "ARD Project Manager"
Project Title: Area (C) Resilience Development Initiative Project (ARD)
Background of VNG International
VNG International is the International Cooperation Agency of the Association of Netherlands Municipalities. We support decentralisation processes and facilitate decentralised cooperation. The organization strengthens local governments, their associations, training institutes and decentralisation task forces both in developing countries and in countries in transition.
VNG International is implementing Area "C" Resilience Development Initiative (ARD) Project in local partnership with the Association of Palestinian Local Authorities- APLA. The project is largely funded by the European Union and aims at enhancing Palestinian Local Authorities contribution to governance and development processes in Area "C" as a pre-condition to more equitable open and democratic society.
The Project aims at strengthening the institutional and operational capacities of the Association of Palestinian Local Authority "APLA" and enables APLA to better advocate for and lobby on issues related to Area "C" on behalf of its members Local Authorities "LA". In addition to improve the capacity of Khalet Al-Mayya Cluster LA's "KMCLA's" capacities in providing services, promoting local development and in contribution to enhance the territorial development integration.
ARD is effectively an extension of the Inclusive Decision at Local Level (IDEAL) programme in Palestine. The IDEAL programme is funded by the Netherlands’ government. It aims to build the capacity to form and implement inclusive Local Economic Development projects and policies of staff and leaders of selected Palestinian municipalities and its supporting organizations, i.e. the Ministry of Local Government "MoLG", the Municipal Development and Lending Fund (MDLF), and the Association of Palestinian Local Authorities "APLA".
ARD Project Management Tasks:
- Responsible for project implementation, supervision and day-to-day management of ARD Project.
- Monitor and Evaluate ARD project activities throughout the project lifecycle.
- Build and manage close communication and relationships with main stakeholders and partners; APLA, Khalet Al-Mayya Cluster council, project partners and government organizations.
- Ensure compliance with VNG International quality standards and integration of best practice as well as adherence with donors and contractual requirements (EU Reporting standards, Communication & Visibility plan, Contractual requirements).
- Facilitate knowledge sharing, peer to peer activates and support selected LED initiatives.
- Facilitate legal aid and capacity building support to LA’s in Area C, design and carry out advocacy and awareness campaigns.
- Represent VNG International in coordination meetings, donors' meetings and other key external stakeholders which are relevant to the project.
- Produce project progress reports: on monthly, quarterly and annual basis for VNG International and the EU.
- Contribute to a capacity building plan for Khalet Al Mayya cluster staff council members; deliver on training and technical support per the designed plan (including revenue generation training).
- Work closely with staff on the management of the project ensuring all tasks, deliverables and milestones are completed on time and within budget.
- Follow up the financial progress of projects/programmes and advise the delegation on procurement, tenders and payments.
- Draft TORs, initiate tendering through the entire process, and proposal evaluation.
- Develop and oversee implementation of comprehensive and cost effective project visibility and communication strategies, and recognize donor contributions and motivation in addition to other project stakeholders.
- Assist the office Director of the Branch (DBO) through policy dialogue with relevant ministries, agencies, development partners and other relevant stakeholders in all areas of concern.
The Project Manager will work in VNG International Palestine’s office in Ramallah to provide technical planning, coordination, and implementation of the project’s related activities. S/he will also work closely with the Director of the Branch Office (DBO) to ensure project implementation across project activities.
- Educational background in Project Management, Public administration, Local Governance or in relevant discipline.
- Four to five years proven track record of effective management: Planning, monitoring, budget oversight, logistics, leadership in Local Governance/ Area "C" in West Bank, Palestine.
- Proven ability to provide technical support, develop excellent diplomatic communication, organizational skills, training skills and team management.
- Evidence experience and knowledge of EU funded projects and reporting requirements.
- Excellent command of English & Arabic.
- Strong interactive facilitation skills.
- Outstanding planning and organizational skills; Excellent social, Possesses research and group meeting, facilitation and presentation skills; in both oral and writing.
- Problem solving, communication, negotiation and reporting skills.
Period of the of the initial contract
One year with possibility of extension including an extendable three months' probation period.
Place of the assignment
VNG International- Palestine Branch Office
Qualified candidates should send the following:
- An updated CV including three professional references.
- A cover letter detailing their interest and qualifications for this position.
To the following email addresses: [email protected]
- Deadline for submitting applications is: Sunday, August 5th, 2018 COB. Please indicate the position title as "ARD-PM" in the email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. VNG International is an equal opportunity employer.