Project Manager (PM)– VNG International Palestinian Branch Office
Background of VNG International
VNG International (www.vng-international.nl) is the International Cooperation Agency of the Association of Netherlands Municipalities. Our objective is to strengthen democratic local government, to support decentralization processes and to facilitate decentralized cooperation. We strengthen local governments, their associations, training institutes and decentralization task forces both in developing countries and in countries in transition.
VNG International is implementing Resilience Development Initiative (ARD). The project is largely funded by the European Union and aims at enhancing Palestinian Local Authorities contribution to governance and development processes in Area C. As a pre-condition to more equitable open and democratic society.
The programme aims at strengthening the institutional and operational capacities of the Palestinian Local Authority Association (APLA) and enable APLA to better advocate for and lobby on issues related to Area C on behalf of its members (Local Authorities) LA. In addition to improve the capacity of Khalet Al Mayya Cluster LA’s capacities in providing services, in promoting local development and in contributing to the territorial development integration are enhanced.
ARD is effectively an extension of the Inclusive Decision at Local Level (IDEAL) programme in Palestine. The IDEAL programme is funded by the Netherlands’ government. It aims to build the capacity to form and implement inclusive Local Economic Development projects and policies of staff and leaders of selected Palestinian municipalities and its supporting organizations, i.e. the Ministry of Local Government (MoLG), the Municipal Development and Lending Fund (MDLF), and the Association of Palestinian Local Authorities (APLA). ARD and IDEAL overlap with regards to the capacity development support to APLA.
In both ARD Project and IDEAL Program VNG International will work with learning benchmarks. Such benchmarks will serve critical exchange of experience. Benchmarks are often used as control instruments, or as methods to judge the achievements of local government by other governmental layers or CSOs. The model developed by VNG International distinguishes itself from such benchmarks as the main purpose is to learn how local governments can improve their performance. Benchmarking adds two elements to common research and monitoring studies: it includes the comparison with similar organisations and involves peer learning. Therefore benchmarking leads to tailor made solutions that have proven to be effective in practice.
The VNG International benchmarking model consists of four stages: collect, compare, learn and improve.
For ARD and IDEAL (i.e. APLA) project management:
- Responsible for project implementation, supervision and day-to-day management of ARD. He/she will report to the Branch Director.
- Build and manage relationships with stakeholders, including communities, producer organizations, key private sector companies, national and local NGOs, research institutions, and the Government.
- Ensure adherence to VNG International quality standards and integration of best practice as well as adherence with donors and contractual requirements.
- Represent VNG International in coordination meetings, meetings with external donors and other key external stakeholders that are relevant to the project.
- Regular communication with APLA, programme partners and government organisations.
- Produce quality programme reports: monthly, quarterly and annually for VNG International.
- Facilitate legal aid and capacity building support to LA’s in Area C, design and carry out advocacy and awareness campaigns.
- Contribute to a capacity building plan for Khalet Al Mayya cluster staff council members, deliver on training and technical support per the designed plan(including revenue generation training).
- Facilitation of knowledge sharing, peer to peer activates and support selected LED initiatives.
- Managing tasks that focused on designing and implementing outreach activities and support participatory planning process based on a territorial approach to Local Development (TALD).
- Work closely with staff on the management of the project ensuring all tasks, deliverables and milestones are completed on time and within budget.
- Assist the office Director of the Branch (DBO) in policy dialogue with relevant ministries, agencies, development partners and other relevant stakeholders in all areas of concern.
- Contribute to LED development sector analysis in Palestine, in order to define sector strategies when implementing the ARD scheme.
- Contribute to all aspects of the procurement process (drafting Terms of Reference, launching tenders, evaluation of proposals, etc.)
- Monitor on-going of the project, attend management and monitoring meetings, contribute to progress reports on project, and propose action if and when needed.
- Follow the financial progress of projects/programmes and advise the Delegation on procurement, tenders and payments.
- Ensure the follow-up of the implementation of projects and the performance of staff and partners, monitor contractual obligations (via periodic reviews, audits, reporting and assistance, etc.) and gather and handle external expertise.
- Represent the VNG International in Steering Committee meetings and in other official meetings between VNG International and project partners.
- Track progress against programme objectives, ensuring full completion as per programme work plan.
- Develop and oversee implementation of comprehensive and cost effective project visibility and communication strategies, recognising donor contributions and motivation in addition to other project stakeholders.
- Ensure quality reporting of programme achievements and documenting of best practices and lessons learnt in the course of implementation
- Implement and supervise benchmarking component within VNG international -Palestine Branch.
- Prepare the framework for the first benchmarking cycle in close coordination with the international benchmarking expert, , the Gender Expert and VNG International IDEAL PT Programme Management (VNGI PM).
- Participate in the selection of participants for the Benchmarking cycle.
- Conduct all stages of the benchmarking sessions in close cooperation with international Benchmarking expert.
The Project Manager will work in VNG International Palestine’s office to provide technical planning, coordination, and implementation of the project’s related activities. S/he will also work closely with the Director of the Branch Office (DBO) to ensure project implementation across project activities.
The Project Manager will report on a day to day basis to the DBO.
Period of the of the initial contract
One year with possibility of extension (With two months will be probation period.
Place of the assignment
- Educational background in and/or a proven affinity with public administration.
- At least three years’ experience with working with local governments in Palestine;
- At least 5 years’ experience in project management
- Prior working experience in developmental projects in the Palestinian context, preferably Area C
- Proven ability to provide technical support, develop excellent diplomatic communication, organizational skills, training skills and team management.
- At least a basic notion of and an interest in further developing personal skills and knowledge in the concept of benchmarking, and applying these in activities of the organisation.
- Excellent command of English & Arabic. Strong interactive facilitation skills. Excellent planning and organization skills; Excellent social, Possesses research and group meeting facilitation and presentation skills, both oral and in writing; Pro-active, representative and Ample experience with data collection and analysis. Strong research and analytical skills; Able to work both work in a team and independently; Computer literate - excellent knowledge of Word and Excel is a must.
Qualified candidates should send the most recent CV including Three professional contacts as references, and a cover letter detailing their interest and qualifications for this position to the following email addresses:
Deadline for submitting applications: Saturday , April 7th, 2018 no later than 4:00pm.
Please indicate the position title (PM) in the email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
VNG International is an equal opportunities employer.