Job Title: Project Engineer (5 vacancies)
Type of Contract: National Personnel Services Agreement
Duty Station: West Bank
Duration of Contract: 12 months with possibility to extend based on fund availability and performanceClosing Date: 18 April 2022 (before 11:59 pm)
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 170 countries and territories, working with governments and people on their own solutions to global and national development challenges to help empower lives and build resilient nations. UNDP Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People (PAPP) derives its mandate from United Nations General Assembly Resolution 33/147 of 20 December 1978 to improve the economic and social conditions of the Palestinian people by identifying their social and economic needs and by establishing concrete projects to that end.
UNDP/PAPP places empowerment, resilience and sustainability at the center of its operation and focuses on three priority areas: the Gaza Strip, East Jerusalem and Area C of the West Bank, where the needs are the greatest. UNDP/PAPP is active in four thematic areas: democratic governance and the rule of law; economic empowerment and private sector development; environment and management of natural resources; and public and social infrastructure.
UNDP/PAPP is seeking to hire Project Engineer(s) to be responsible for all site engineering matters/works related to various projects in multiple duty stations in the West Bank.
The Project Engineer will undertake the following functions:
- Project Design and Implementation Phase
- Project Closing Phase
- Undertake any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Project Design and Implementation Phase:
- Together with the Designer Technical Team and (Project Implementation Unit) PIU, review and verify tender documents (design drawings, bill of quantities, technical specifications) for the construction activities, and bring to the attention of the Resident Engineer and the Project Manager any issues that might affect the technical soundness of the works.
- Check and review method statements, shop drawings and as-built drawings submitted by the contractor.
- Provide supervision tasks of the daily construction activities to ensure that works are implemented in accordance with the designs, technical specifications, local/municipal regulations, and other contract documents such as the environmental management plans, quality assurance plans, and the health and safety plans.
- Supervise contractor’s performance in all matters related to environmental management, health and safety, quality, and workmanship at the project site.
- Notify the contractor of any environmental and health and safety issues, defects found with regards to the quality of the workmanship, materials and equipment’s incorporated in the project works, including the performance of the required sampling and testing.
- Monitor the progress of the construction works to ensure compliance with the construction schedules and, where needed, bring to the attention of the Resident Engineer and Project Manager as well as the contractor any delays in the schedule. Put in place risk mitigation procedures and suggest measures for avoiding delays in implementation. This also includes the supervision of the contractor’s risk mitigation measures and solutions.
- Review the quantities of the executed works and check interim payment requests submitted by the contractor for completed works. Assist the Resident Engineer and Project Manager in conducting regular assessment of contract quantities to ensure compliance with the project budget.
- Review and verify the contractor’s material and equipment submittals against the specified ones and provide feedback to the Resident Engineer and the Project Manager with all information necessary for approval of material and equipment submissions. Request regular testing of different material used in the construction works where applicable as per project specifications.
- Participate in weekly and biweekly regular site coordination meetings with all technical project personnel, Designer, counterparts’ engineers, utility companies, municipality, telecommunications, contractors and suppliers to discuss project related matters, and prepare the minutes of such meetings and ensure they are signed off officially by all attended members.
- Verify and record the daily site reports submitted by contractors and prepare monthly progress reports for construction activities.
- Take daily site pictures representing the daily construction progress and file it properly.
- Assist the Resident Engineer and the Project Manager in issuance of site instruction memos to the contractors for any technical / contractual matter related to the construction works or to any matter related to the safety of the works or personnel at the project site.
- Assist the Resident Engineer and Project Manager in the review and evaluation of suggestions made by contractors for modifications/adjustments to the drawings or specifications in coordination with the Designer.
- Assist the Resident Engineer and Project Manager in liaising and coordinating with the local authorities, technical personnel, and local utility authorities for smooth and timely implementation of the project activities.
- Assist the Resident Engineer and Project Manager in preparation of regular briefings and reports by preparing the draft copies of these reports; ensure production of timely reports; participate in regular project and counterparts’ coordination meetings, document lessons learnt, and success stories.
- Upon request from supervisor, study and provide written reports on any claims submitted by the contractor and/or variation orders.
- Ensure proper filing on site for all correspondence, minutes of meetings, equipment and material submissions, site instructions, measured quantities of works, information and drawings issued subsequent to start of contract, as well as clarifications and interpretations of contract documents, progress reports and any other related documents.
- Project Closing Phase:
- Participate in the committee for final inspection and handover of the construction works and prepare snag-lists for final checking before project take-over.
- Assist in the performance testing and commissioning of equipment.
- Review As-Built drawings for completed works, and review of preservation, maintenance and operation manuals prepared by the contractor.
- Assist the Resident Engineer and Project Manager in coordination of the training of the beneficiary personnel and review of the Operation and Maintenance manual that need to be handed over to the Beneficiary.
Under the guidance of the Project Manager and direct supervision of the Resident Engineer, the Project Engineer will undertake the required functions.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Effective Decision Making: Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one's authority, area of expertise and resources
Negotiation and Influence: Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates ‘win-win’ situations
Knowledge Facilitation : Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally
Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and control resources, procedures, and protocols to achieve specific goals
Partnership Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts, and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
Monitoring: Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and
actual activities and programme performance and results
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Min. Education requirements
First level University degree (B.Sc in Civil/ Architectural Engineering) is required from an accredited university.
Min. years of relevant work experience
• Minimum of 4 (four) years of practical experience in the supervision in similar civil construction projects including roads and infrastructure projects.
- Having experience in the environmental requirements in construction of infrastructure projects.
- Very good AutoCAD drafting and drawings skills.
- Very good skills in Microsoft Project planning software.
- Excellent planning skills.
- Professional experience in reports writing, email writing, preparation of Meetings minutes, etc.
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
- Knowledge and familiarity with UNDP procedures is an asset.
- Project management certification is an extra asset.
- Certification in Health and safety for Infrastructure projects are desired.
Fluency in both English and the Arabic languages.
- Valid membership in Local or International Engineering Association is required.
Interested and qualified candidates can apply online through Apply Now-button below