The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger. Our goal is to achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. With 195 members - 194 countries and the European Union, FAO works in over 130 countries worldwide to promote better production, better nutrition and better environment for a better life.
The FAO Coordination Office for the West Bank and Gaza Strip Programme implements the Country Programming Framework for Palestine to enhance the wellbeing of Palestinian people by making the agrifood system more efficient, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable in alignment with national policies and strategies and the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSCDF).
FAO WBGS will be implementing a project titled “Support sustainable tourism through safeguarding, rehabilitation, and promotion of the Agro-Cultural Landscape in Battir.” Jointly with the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and funded by the Italian Cooperation. The project will contribute to supporting the economic and social development of the people of Battir Area by promoting agro-cultural tourism and enhancing agro-ecological production. FAO’s component of the project will focus on supporting endangered agriculture livelihoods through market-oriented agricultural interventions, while economically reactivating traditional agricultural practices and organic food products.
In order to strengthen its technical and operational capacities in implementing this project, FAO is seeking a highly motivated Project Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the FAO WBGS Head of Office, the direct supervision of the FAO WBGS Head of Programme, the Project Coordinator will perform the following tasks:
· Ensure efficient and quality project implementation according to the workplan, in line with the project document and following the agreed upon guidelines and templates. This includes preparing, updating and monitoring detailed workplans for the project and supervising and coordinating the timely implementation of all project activities;
· Establish close collaboration and working arrangements with a multidisciplinary team of technical experts, short-term consultants, national /international staff/consultants and support personnel and provide day to day follow up as needed;
· Mobilize and ensure the buy-in of implementing partners and private sector organizations;
· Provide updates on progress (including achievements and bottlenecks) at the Joint Programme technical Committee (JPTC) meetings;
· Take the lead in handling the agreements with the implementing partners including managing the agreements for results, reviewing, and clearing the monitoring reports from implementing partners and certifying requests for payments in compliance with the requirements of the Agreements.
· Liaise, under the supervision of the Head of Programme, with the Ministry of Agriculture, NGOs, implementing partners (i.e. UNESCO) and other governmental (e.g. Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities) and non-governmental actors to ensure that project interventions are coordinated and synergized with national priorities, FAO rules and donor guidelines;
· Collect, consolidate and prepare the progress and final reports and other information materials following the donor guidelines, requirements and templates as well as FAO applicable rules and regulations and SOPs;
· Conduct frequent field visits, follow up and monitoring to the beneficiaries; and providing the needed advice and follow up in order to ensure optimal use and sustainability of the support provided by the projects;
· Assist in building the project staff’s and partners’ capacity in understanding and utilizing approaches, tools, and best practices relevant to the project while promoting the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA); · Perform other related duties as required.
The key results have an impact on the delivery of the programme in terms of quality and accuracy of work. Accurate information management, analysis and presentation and a client-oriented approach enhances FAO’s capability to effectively and efficiently manage project’s activities while ensuring quality implementation of projects in contribution to the attainment of FAP CPF towards progressing SDG 1 and SDG 2 among other relevant SDG.
FAO Core Competencies:
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
· Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards,
· Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of FAO,
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability,
· Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office,
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice, areas, and acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Ability to apply conceptual models in support of formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects,
- Strong IT skills.
Management and Leadership:
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback,
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude,
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills,
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure, - Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Effectively communicates relevant project information to superiors,
- Delivers engaging, informative and well-organized presentations,
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team, and interpersonal skills.