Programme Assistant, GS5, Gaza, Palestine
Work type: Fixed Term Staff
Categories: WASH Section
Duration of Post: (One Year initially)
Deadline for application: 6 March 2018
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfil their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
How can you make a difference? For every child, a Future:
Under the close supervision and guidance of the supervisor, the programme assistant supports the respective section through providing a range of procedural, administrative, operational support in developing, implementing, executing and monitoring their country programme, ensuring timely and effective delivery that is consistent with UNICEF rules and regulations.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
1. Support to programme development, planning and execution.
• Compiles data and information on subject matters relevant to the work of the section to facilitate preparation of reports, working papers, and presentations.
• Prepares and maintains records pertaining to programme planning and development for his/her respective section.
• Carries out transactions in VISION ensuring programme results, activities and programme coding are as per annual work plans (AWPs), and makes amendments and alterations as per section revisions when necessary.
• Arranges meetings, workshops and training courses pertaining to programme development, and provides support in making the necessary logistical arrangements.
• Following up both internally with the Supply section and externally with counterparts to ensure supplies for programme implementation are delivered in a timely and accurate manner.
2. Support to monitoring and reporting of programme results
• Provides support on budget revision/preparation, implementation status, determination position of funding utilization, operational, and financial closure.
• Monitors budgets and financial expenditures of section, ensuring compliance with UNICEF rules and regulations, keeping supervisor informed and advised on actions for decision/follow up
• Prepares and maintains records, documents and control plans for the monitoring of project/programme implementation.
3.Support in resource mobilization
• Compiles and organizes information and data pertaining to donors (both current and potential).
• Compiles and organizes data and information to assist in the preparation of periodic or ad-hoc financial reports relating to country office and donors to support the office in optimizing use of programme funds.
• Carries out transactions in VISION pertaining to grants for his/her section such as registering grant allotments and tracking expiring programme grants.
• Supports the processing of contracts for consultants and external partners pertaining to the section.
4. Support in Knowledge Management and capacity building
• Gathers and shares information as needed in support of improving the processes and daily operations of the section.
• Supports capacity development activities related to performance monitoring, programme development, and related internal UNICEF systems/tools by drafting necessary correspondence, compiling data reports and maintaining relevant records.
To qualify as a Champion for every Child, you will have…
Education: Completion of secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience is required.
i. IT Skills: Computer literacy and the ability to effectively use standard office software tools and other office technology to create documentation, exchange and archive e-mail, and maintain electronic filing systems.
ii. Office Management Skills – Five years of office support work experience, including, organizing and supervising the whole range of office support and administrative activities. Ability to work with minimum of supervision. Ability to extract and format data and to solve operational problems. Ability to organize own and others work, set priorities and meet deadlines. Ability to organize meetings and events. Ability to handle work quickly and accurately under time constraints
Language: Fluency in English and Arabic. Knowledge of an additional UN Language (French, Russian, and Spanish) is considered an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
▪ Analyzing [I]
▪ Learning and Researching [I]
▪ Planning and Organizing [I]
▪ Following Instructions and Procedures [I]
Interested and qualified candidates can apply online through Apply Now button below
Please note that this Vacancy Announcement is open for competition to Palestinian nationals only.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious and ethnic backgrounds, apply to become a part of our organization. Candidates will be treated equally regardless of gender, sexual orientation, special needs, social and HIV/aids status. UNICEF is a smoke-free environment.