Job Title Program Officer – OPT / Consultancy Contract
Organisation/Unit Johanniter International Assistance, Middle East Regional Office
Job Location Jerusalem (OPT)
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
The Johanniter is a German Non-Governmental organization, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programs and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany.
Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting mostly health projects worldwide. (www.johanniter.de)
Johanniter International Assistance is active in the Middle East for many years and opened its office in Amman in 2012.
The Programs in the region are focusing on the provision of health care, psychosocial support, people with disabilities, livelihood and WASH.
The Program Officer will be based in Jerusalem with frequent travel in West Bank and Gaza (based on local security context) and will work independently, in close coordination with Johanniter’s Regional Office in Amman, Jordan.
The Program Officer will support the activities of Johanniter International Assistance in OPT, including institutional representation and project implementation, ensuring tasks are completed on time and within budget. He/she will maintain a close and positive partner relation and will support the partners in their capacity development. He/she will work in coordination with his/her supervisor, the Head of Mission in the Middle East, based in Amman.
Reporting to: Senior Programme Manager (first level supervisor)
Head of Mission (next level supervisor)
Supervising: None at the moment (in future, Logistics/Admin Assistant)
Gives technical advice to: Partners
Receives technical advice from: Regional Programme Manager, Programme Development and Quality Manager, Finance Coordinator, Regional Finance Manager, Procurement Officer (Jordan)
Standing in for: RPM/ other POs
Represented by: Programme Officers in the region
- He/she represents Johanniter International Assistance in OPT
- He/she will provide information on the feasibility and advantages of Johanniters’ registration in OPT. In case JUH decides to be registered, he/she will follow up the registration process.
- He/she will support obtaining entry visas of Johanniters’ regional team, partners and HQ officers.
Leadership and Strategic
- Responsible for providing timely and continuous leadership and support to ensure technical soundness at all stages and levels of the program and project cycles. This includes concept and proposal development, start-up and implementation management, and monitoring and evaluation of the overall Country Programme Strategy and all projects and initiatives it covers in the country(ies) of operations
- In coordination with the Head of Mission and Senior Program Manager, he/she will develop Johanniters’ country strategy, identifying humanitarian needs and gaps, available funds and partnership/ consortium opportunities.
- He/she reports and gives regular updates on the situation in the country to the Regional office.
Partnership Management and Project Management
- He/she provides close supervision, oversight and support to implementing partners in all projects’ activities, according to the approved project proposals, donors’ and Johanniters’ guidelines, work plans, log frames and budget.
- He/she manages and defines the project’s objectives and oversees and ensures quality control throughout the completion of the project cycle.
- Manages and oversees the development of projects from initiation to completion.
- Manages capacity building and provides guidance to projects’ partners
- Develops best practices and tools for project execution and management.
- Develops and delivers project plans, documentation, training, presentations, budgets and proposals in coordination with the Regional Office.
- Identifies and resolves project issues and implements improvement plans to ensure the project stays on schedule and within budget.
- Receives monthly reports from the partners, reviews and refines in cooperation with the Senior Program Manager at the Regional Office.
- Coordinates with the project partner/s in OPT and other departments to prepare and implement project monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Organizes and/or carries out pre-and post-project assessments
- In coordination with the regional program and finance team, facilitates the projects’ orientation/ start-up workshops for Implementing Partners’ senior to mid-level staff involved in the project implementation process.
Local-level resource mobilization
- He/she acquires resources and coordinates the efforts of team members and external clients in order to implement projects according to the plan.
- Develops concept notes, expression of interests, write-ups and project proposals for donors and HQ in consultation with his/her supervisor.
- He/she supports JUH Regional office team during their visits to the country for any work-related purpose.
- He/she creates work plans based on goals and targets and implements evidence-based interventions in one or more multi-sector areas, as well as new technologies and practices.
Networking and Representation in Humanitarian architecture
- He/she liaises effectively with all relevant stakeholders, including government at various levels, donors, I/NNGOs and UN agencies, and ensures communication, coordination and reporting.
- Attend all clusters and coordination bodies and represent Johanniter in these forums and report back to the Head of Mission
Monitoring and reporting
- Ensures regular project supervision, field visits and action-oriented feedback for monitoring and evaluation, adherence to accountability procedures and documentation as well as technical guidelines in close coordination with the Senior Program Manager.
- Regular reviews with partners based on their reports, budget vs actuals monitoring (finance and programme to match the spendings) and support partners in their financial spendings as per the work plan.
- Supervises and finalizes monthly progress/ interim and final activity reports of various projects.
- Follows up on projects indicators, progress reports, LFAs/monitoring analysis reports and recommending actions to fill the gaps against the commitments made in the proposal
- Follows up with the finance department on a budget plan in coordination with his/ her supervisor
- Constantly monitor the security situation and establish a good understanding of the context and risks associated with a changing environment to Head of Mission
- Conduct security assessment for any field missions and share it with the Head of Mission for approvals
- Elaborate local Security Plans and ensure that valid guideline are followed and adapted as required at all levels, that maximum preventive measures are taken and that the team is safe and well informed at all times.
- Review and update of the security and contingency plan in intervals agreed with the Head of Mission and guarantee that all guidelines are understood and respected.
- Maintain regular contact with relevant networks and security stakeholders (UNDSS, INSO etc.).
Performs other duties as requested by the supervisor/Head of Mission
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Professional Qualification and Experience:
- Graduation/ Post Graduation degree in a related field ( Public Administration, Social Development, Business Administration/Management, Economics, Sociology, Technical field like Medicine, any other related sectors)
- At least ten (7-8 ) years experience in development or humanitarian work in a technical capacity on Disaster Resilience or its components (Disaster Risk Reduction & Management, Climate Change Adaptation, Peacebuilding, Urban Resilience, and Innovation Programming), programme management, etc.
- Has at least six (5) years of program/project management experience.
- Has experience and training in a rights-based approach to development, project proposal development, project management, humanitarian response, and designing training.
- Has expert knowledge and experience in resource mobilization, including proposal design, logical framework, and overall project cycle.
- Is able to demonstrate self-confidence, maintain effective functioning and self-control even under pressure, demonstrate responsibility and trustworthiness, openness to new ideas, and effect changes for improvement.
- A good communicator, both in writing and spoken communications.
- Must be currently eligible to work in the Occupied Territories of Palestine. Local applicants preferred.
- Operational effectiveness skills using all the systems, procedures and culture within the organization for required results delivery.
- Ability to travel to field locations and support partners
- Experience working in an international environment or international development/humanitarian organization is desirable.
- Good understanding of donor rules and regulations
- Strong analytical skills (data and financial)
- Ability to manage a varied workload, work under pressure, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Working with people/Teamwork
- Planning and delivering results
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments
- Working with local partners
- Delegation to parnters
- Ability take initiative
- Self Motivated
- A good communicator, both in writing and spoken communications.
- demonstrate self-confidence
- maintain effective functioning and self-control even under pressure
- demonstrate responsibility and trustworthiness
- openness to new ideas
- effect changes for improvement.
Commencement: As soon as possible
Consultancy Contract Duration: 1 year with the possibility of extension
Salary/Benefits: According to Johanniter’s general directions as per regional office National Staff Guidelines
Please note: This Job Description is dynamic and can be adapted. The employee is obliged to carry out individual tasks on the instructions of his/her supervisor which, by their nature, are part of his/her function or are necessary as a result of operational requirements.
It is the employee’s responsibility to safeguard those who are in contact with our organization and to exemplify the highest standard of ethical behavior regardless of race, religious belief, or nationality. This includes the employee’s responsibility to promote appropriate behavior and to report any inappropriate behavior that could potentially harm those in our organization’s care and that could damage the reputation of Johanniter.
Interested and qualified candidates can apply online through Apply Now - تقدم الآن لهذه الوظيفة
THE APPLICANT SHOULD APPLY FOR THIS POSITION ONLY THROUGH THIS WEBSITE