Association of Palestinian Local Authorities "APLA"
Job description - Policy Coordinator
Position: Policy Coordinator - APLA
The Policy Coordinator shall:
- Coordinates and undertakes policy development, providing analysis and advice, to support APLA’s Policy Group and as well as APLA’s initiatives, to ensure that the highest-level services are delivered to and from APLA supported programmes and activities.
- Works closely to the SDGs Localisation Coordinator, Gender Coordinator, and Fiscal Decentralisation Officer on all advocacy-related activities emerging form their mission.
- Monitors policy developments in the local government sector, provide policy advice for APLA’s management, summarize advocacy consensus positions in policy papers, and participate in all relevant advocacy meetings.
Founded in 1997, APLA is an independent organization mandated to represent and lobby for the collective interests of Local Government Units (LGUs) by supporting capacity building among local governments, facilitating exchange of knowledge and best practices, and serving as vehicle for dialogue between the central government and LGUs.
APLA signed a grant contract with the European Union (EU) on 12 December 2021 with total EU contribution of € 1.9 million, to implement the project (APLA’s Multiannual Action Plan (MAAP) 2021-2025). This project has been designed to strengthen LGUs collaborations on service delivery and local participatory development, and improve contributions to territorial integration, particularly in Area C. Specific objectives of MAAP are aligned to APLA’s strategic plan and aims to support the role of APLA as LGUs representative and dialogue partner with the Palestinian Authority, in order to support the role of the LGUs in the building process of future State of Palestine.
Accordingly, APLA is looking forward to hiring a Policy Coordinator to fulfill the following tasks:
The Policy Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Undertake research and analysis, review alternatives related to Local Government policy deliverables, identify and develop recommendations, to lead the policy process adopted by APLA;
- Support to the design of policies and reform strategies in APLA, having as principles clear allocation of responsibilities, a transparent and stable relations, sound and sustainable institutional and constitutional strength of APLA and LGUs;
- Design and implement APLA public policy program, including researching, analysing, and monitoring public policy issues affecting local government, formulating APLA’s policy agenda through coordinated discussion and input from APLA staff, board, membership, and key stakeholders, and maintaining strong relationships with APLA members and related programs from around the country through meetings, networking, training, and technical assistance;
- Prepare “Position Papers” and participate actively in executing policies that are related to local governance;
- Develop policy and advisory papers and reports to stakeholders with or without technical background that are involved with APLA’s activities;
- Support and facilitate the work of APLA’s Policy Group (SDGs Localization, Gender Mainstreaming, and Fiscal Decentralization) in their planning. Follow up and manage the policy development process adopted by APLA;
- Participate effectively in APLA’s initiatives to develop new Laws/ Bylaws/ Legislations related to Local Government sector in Palestine;
- Review Local Government policies and propose required adjustments to ensure alignment with APLA’s policy directions;
- Assemble, interpret and analyse information, provide advice and recommendations to ensure all policy deliverables are aligned with the National Polices Agenda;
- Provide regular updates to APLA’s members and partners regarding the APLA’s policies and initiatives;
- Provide advice to senior managers, stakeholders and decision makers in matters of concern;
- Keep aware with research and policy developments within the area in the aspects of governing institutions, local development, and local governance;
- Support knowledge codification, documentation and sharing through inputs to comparative experiences and lessons learnt on regional and global levels and participation in relevant groups;
- Carry out consultations with internal and external stakeholders, including APLA’s members, partners, or members of the public.
- Maintain and develop relationships with relevant government officials and internal and external stakeholders in order to get and provide advice that focuses on the day-to-day concerns of APLA;
- Represent APLA in related task forces, workgroups, and committees as needed;
- Provide training and technical assistance on topics including understanding the legislative process, laws impacting domestic violence programs and survivors, and policy changes during and following each legislative session;
- Deliver and write briefings, presentations, reports, and speeches, and support / coordinate meetings, conferences or debates, sometimes including diary management; and
- Prepare and submit regular implementation progress reports to ED & TSU manger.
The Policy Coordinator will work in APLA’S office in Ramallah to provide effective and efficient management of APLAs technical support unit in Policy affairs. The Policy Coordinator will report on a day to day basis to the TSU Manager at APLA.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Qualifications and experiences:
- University degree in public administration, Community Development, social policy, economics, politics and internal relations, or any other related fields, Master in Local Governance is preferred.
- Experience in governmental policy development.
- At least 5 years working experience in similar positions
- Excellent knowledge in Ms. Office (word, excel, power point, outlook).
- Fluent in both Arabic and English.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Strong understanding of local government sector policies and advocacy.
- Excellent skills in research, planning, monitoring, results-based reports.
Place of the assignment
Qualified candidates should send the most recent resume, including three professional references, and a cover letter detailing their interest for this position to the email address: [email protected] , indicating the position title (Policy Coordinator) in the email subject line.
Deadline for submitting resumes with cover letters: Thu. 12 May 2022.
Short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
“APLA is an equal opportunities employer”
One year, with possibility of extension.