Pathology Laboratory Technologist - Jerusalem– National position
Applicants are required to uphold the core values of our organization.
The Augusta Victoria Hospital (AVH) is a medical center of excellence that has been providing healthcare services and other health programs for about 70 years to Palestinians, including refugees from throughout the West Bank and Gaza. AVH, a program by the Lutheran World Federation, serves patients regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, or political conviction, without discrimination or favoritism; It is a modern tertiary care facility that serves the most disadvantaged patients from Gaza and the West Bank and has a special historic relationship with the United Nations Relief Works Agency (UNRWA) for Palestine Refugees
For additional information, please see www.lutheranworld.org/World Service.
Terms of Reference
Main outcome of the role:
The pathology laboratory technologist post is a very dynamic position where employees are extensively involved in performing routine pathological procedures. To assure high quality laboratory testing this position mandates the employee to act as a team player and to perform the pathology laboratory quality control protocols and document the results.
- Comply with the Augusta Victoria Hospital rules and regulations.
- Adhere to safety and infection control policies followed at Augusta Victoria Hospital.
- Maintain patient privacy and confidentiality of information.
- Strictly follow the pathology diagnostic guidelines of accepting, handling and processing of patient samples.
- Receive, evaluate and accept patient specimens from surgical or diagnostic cases, sorts them in accordance with priority and difficulty of work, and identify them by hospital dedicated number.
- Maintain the diagnostic viability of all accepted specimens and ensure correct patient labeling.
- Check and verify that surgical case numbers match the blocks and slides prepared. Print labels as appropriate.
- Assists pathologists with gross examination by preparing materials; collecting, analyzing, labelling specimens, requisitions and cassettes with pathology accession number; and disposing of wastes.
- Performs tissue sections according to written policies and procedures.
- Sets up necessary equipment, supplies and specimens for gross examination.
- Performs gross description and specimen dissection of simple, small, and routine specimens.
- Dictates gross observations, types and prints out the preliminary reports to be presented to the pathologist with the slides.
- Stores specimens after gross examination, and disposes of them according to department protocol and following all safety precautions.
- Process the patient samples, embed them in paraffin, cut and stain them, manually or automatically according to pathology laboratory standard operating procedures.
- Files slides and blocks.
- Operate all fields of the hospital Health Information System (HIS) authorized for the laboratory technologist. This includes test ordering, results entry, data search and results report printing.
- Perform appropriate operator preventive maintenance on all the clinical laboratory instruments in accordance with the manufacturer guidelines.
- Prepare, clean, maintain, and shut down laboratory equipment according to the manufacturer instructions.
- Communicate professionally with the hospital clients and the different hospital departments employees.
- Provide technical information to the health care providers when required.
- Stay updated with any new laboratory techniques introduced into the laboratory.
- Perform all duties which ensure working within an appropriate environment by daily cleaning the assigned laboratory station, monitoring and recording of temperature observations, keeping laboratory shelves clean and arranged well.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Required Qualifications, Skills and experience
- Bachelor’s of Science in Medical Technology
- Valid Medical Technology License
- At least 1 year of experience as Pathology Laboratory Technologist
- Effective and strong communicative skills in oral expression and communication.
- Ability to work independently under pressure, meet tight deadlines, and demonstrate flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
- Proven ability to take initiative, learn quickly, and be accountable for results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Able to work collaboratively and inspire learning based on experience and to achieve results.
- Fluency, writing and reading in English and Arabic.
- Strong reporting skills
- Respect, Promote Ethical values and human rights
- Maintain professional relationships and act as guides and advocates.
The Lutheran World Federation (LWF) is a global communion of 148 churches in the Lutheran tradition, representing 75.5 million Christians in 99 countries. LWF World Service works in 25 countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean. LWF Jerusalem program has served the Palestinians in Jerusalem, West Bank and Gaza through humanitarian, health and educational programs since 1948. LWF manages the Augusta Victoria Hospital, two vocational training centers in Ramallah and in East Jerusalem and its central office is on the Mount of Olives.
Interested and qualified candidates can apply online through Apply Now-button below