تعلن سلطة المياه الفلسطينية وحدة إدارة المشاريع/ غزه عن حاجتها للوظيفة المذكورة ادناه وذلك للعمل ضمن طاقم وحدة إدارة المشاريع وذلك حسب الشروط المبين ادناه:
The Palestinian Water Authority (PWA) ــ Project Management Unit in Gaza invites experienced & qualified Palestinians to apply for the following position in the Project Management Unit (PMU).
Operations and Maintenance Department Manager
Gaza Bulk Water Supply Unit
Gaza Central Desalination Program: Associated Works Phase I Project is a part of a coordinated international effort to address chronic poor water quality in Gaza and the significant increase in domestic demand expected in the medium term, which is projected to reach around 145 MCM a year by 2030. PWA, in partnership with the European Commission (EC), the European Investment Bank (EIB), the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM), the Islamic Development Bank (ISDB) and the World Bank, formulated the Gaza Central Desalination Program (GCDP). The GCDP covers all Gaza and comprises two main components: (i) construction of a desalination plant with initial capacity to produce 55 MCM a year of desalinated water that can be doubled in the future; and (ii) construction of a north-south water carrier, including storage reservoirs to convey and properly blend the desalinated water with groundwater sources to achieve water supply meeting WHO standards for potable water. Securing the required funding for implementing the GCDP will take several years, leaving the water situation in Gaza, and particularly in the southern and middle governorates, in urgent need of improvement. In this context, the international community supported the construction of two Short-Term Low-Volume (STLV) desalination plants which produce 4.7 MCM per year as interim measures to alleviate the needs for fresh water. In addition, PWA has negotiated the purchase of an additional fresh water for the middle and southern governorates of Gaza from Israel National Water Company Mekorot. The proposed project, through blending these new high-quality water sources with 15.3 MCM per year from existing saline groundwater, will supply bulk water to all 16 municipalities in the project area (with an estimated 870,000 people) with at least 90 liters per capita per day (lcd) meeting WHO standards for potable water. The project will also contribute towards enhancing soundness of the sector institutional set up. The proposed operation includes institutional strengthening activities aimed at the establishment of a small unit to manage bulk water supply operations in Gaza laying a sound foundation for the future establishment of the National Water Company (NWC), which is mandated by the Water Law to manage and operate bulk water throughout the West Bank and Gaza.
The Gaza Bulk Water Supply Unit (BWSU) will be part of the National Water Company, the bulk water provider for West Bank and Gaza as defined by law. The Unit will be responsible for: (i) the operation and maintenance of the STLVs; (ii) the monitoring and management of bulk water purchased from Israel; (iii) the management and operation of groundwater wells in middle and south Gaza; (iv) the blending of these bulk water sources for distribution and onward sale to municipalities (the water service providers); and (v) the recovery and reuse scheme. The World Bank will support PWA with the establishment of the Bulk Water Supply Unit initially hiring its core staff which will gradually be expanded with funds from bulk water sales proceeds.
The Operation and Maintenance Department will be in charge of leading day to day operations and maintenance of all bulk water facilities. The Operations and Maintenance Department Manager will report to the Bulk Unit Director and will be in charge of planning, organizing, directing and providing oversight for all day-to-day Department operations functions and activities. The Manager will plan, manage, and coordinate the inspection, operations, maintenance and repair of bulk water facilities including desalination plants, wells, Mekorot water distribution points, recovery wells and distribution, associated photovoltaic station and all infrastructure related to distribution including tanks, pumps and primary systems. The Manager, in coordination with the Technical Department Manager will be in charge of developing the capital improvement planning, budgeting, cost control, and the reliable operation of all facilities.
Responsibilities & Main Functional Tasks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- In coordination with the PWA, PMU and the Unit Director, the Manager is in charge of setting up the Department including the development of foundational tasks as reviewing and approving job descriptions, participating in the hiring of Department personnel, developing policies and procedures, designing workflows and internal controls and establishing the initial budget and start-up of operations.
- Develops and directs the implementation of operational goals, objectives, procedures, and work standards for the Department in accordance with the Bulk Water Supply Unit policies and strategies.
- Creates, implements, and administers a preventative maintenance program for the Bulk Water Supply Unit infrastructure and leverages asset management principles and tools to make risk based asset lifecycle decisions.
- Identifies capital improvement projects to improve efficiency, cost savings, and service improvement and assist the Technical Department in its planning design.
- Responsible for the implementation and maintenance, of an asset management system. Review, monitor and evaluate work flow, work products, methods and procedures of the Operations and Maintenance Department.
- Develops, administers, and controls Operations and Maintenance Department’s budget; capital improvement project budget and special project cost estimates including forecast of additional funds needed for staffing equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Selects, trains, and motivates personnel including the coordination of staff training, evaluation of staff, and implementation of procedures to maintain high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the department.
- Meets with operations personnel to review and discuss current and future operation and maintenance projects.
- Introduces safe work methods and safety precautions across all areas of operations and maintenance.
- Develops, assess, and plans for the long-term replacement needs of operations infrastructure and equipment.
- Assesses and monitors work load, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships. Identifies opportunities for improvement. Directs and implements changes.
- Work with the PMU, donors, Municipalities and others to resolve complaints, explain requirements, and coordinate operations and maintenance activities.
- Provides staff assistance to the Unit Director, participate on PMU meetings, prepare and present reports to PWA, donors and parties as necessary.
- Helps the Unit Director to respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive inquiries and complaints from clients and general population.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Mandatory Qualification Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or other technical water sector related field, from an accredited college or university, at least seven (7) years of water operations and/or maintenance experience including three (3) years supervisory experience.
Desired Qualification requirement
- Demonstrable experience in applying practices, procedures, methods, and materials used in the operation, maintenance and improvement of water systems.
- Experience in personnel management including supervision, work planning, training, employee development and annual performance evaluations.
- Experience reading and interpreting plans, specifications and diagrams used in the design and construction of bulk water facilities.
- Demonstrable experience in methods and techniques of evaluating system performance and recommending modifications, principles and practices of budget preparation and administration and accountability, principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- Demonstrable experience in asset management, life cycle analysis, and triple bottom line evaluation Statistical analysis, research methods, and hypothesis testing.
- Demonstrable experience in developing and administering Department goals, objectives and procedures, preparing administrative and financial reports.
- Demonstrable experience in research and analysis evaluating services, problems, identifying alternative solutions, estimating project consequences of proposed actions and implementing recommendations in support of goals.
- Good command of English speaking and writing.
- Knowledge of dealing with computers and proficiency in MS Office programs at an advanced level.
Time Frame and Contract
The duration of the assignment is one year. The contract can be renewed based on performance. The assignment will be on a full-time basis.
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive work environment. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are kindly requested to fill in the Form below before 01/09/2022 at 15:00.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted