MÉDICOS DEL MUNDO – SPAIN
Needs to fill the position of a
NURSE in GAZA
For the implementation of the project:
“Emergency response in Gaza - Surgery and post-operative care”, and “Support the MoH emergency response and emergency preparedness at PHC and Hospital levels.”
Job Title: Nurse
Job Location: Gaza Strip
Contract Duration: 2 months
Starting Date: ASAP
Deadline: ******23rd September 2018
The objective of this position is to assist in the implementation of the medical (surgical) strategy of the project named “Emergency response in Gaza - Surgery and post-operative care”, and “Support the MoH emergency response and emergency preparedness at PHC and Hospital levels.”. The selected candidate will be responsible of the medicalpre-operative, immediate post-operative and post operative healthcare supervision patients implementation tackled by of the project and will advises the Medical Coordinator and the Project Manager on technical medical issues and management of surgicalnursing aspects. This includes:
- Maintain a strong coordination with the plastic and orthopedic department of MoH Hospital and the health staff of MdM France..
- Accompany surgical teams during surgeries.
- Follow up patients and continuous supervision ofasses postoperative care.
- Assist in the organization of Medical missions.
- UCreate and update ofa patient surveillance database.
- EDefine and ensure the proper adherence to protocols to reduce the risk of infection.
- Management and analysis project data together with the Medical Coordinator and the Project Manager.
GEOGRAPHICAL SCOPE OF INTERVENTION
Gaza Strip. The position will be based in Gaza City, with frequent visits to Dier Albalah. Some field visits to Khan Younis might be needed.
The selected candidate will be part of the project team and will report to the Medical Coordinator and the Project Manager.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
The project seeks to reduce the functional disabilities of affected population in the Middle Area of Gaza Strip, focusing on victims form the demonstration near Gaza borders. The project aims to improve the access to specialized surgical care, to strengthen the capacities of the emergency and orthopaedic departments of AlAqsa Hospital and to reduce the risk of post-operative infections.
Planning and programing role
- Contribute in the implementation of the operational strategy, including the medical missions in coordination with the Hospital Orthopedic Department.
- Participate in developing/updating medical protocols.
- Identify and planning training sessions to improve the skills of the hospital healthcaremedical staff.
- Monitor and inform about the health needs (particularly related to surgical/emergency needs) and risks.
Monitoring and reporting role
- Follow up surgical cases to ensure proper follow up and dressing is being done.
- Follow up monitoring and evaluation tools to report and assess medical cases and surgical interventions.
- Ensure data collection and patients database is updated after every medical mission and the information is relevant and compatible with MoH standards and donor reporting requirements.
- Ensure the use of MdM visibility materials during project implementation as well as MdM formats and tools are implemented.
- Support Medical Coordinator and Project Manager in preparing monthly reports for the General Coordinator and MoH, based on adequately compiled analysis of project medical and surgical data and referral activities.
- Advise and support the Medical Coordinator and the Project Manager regarding the development and progress of the project according to the approved workplan.
Clinical Support role
- Ensure surgical patients are attending their follow up visits with proper wound dressing.
- Ensure clinical supervision of the patient screening.
- Collaborate in the outpatient’s clinic collecting relevant information and linking with the relevant actors, in coordination with the Medical Coordinator..
- Ensure all clinical/surgical staff observe good practice in pre and post-operative patient care.
- Ensure adequate standards are being observe during sterilization of surgical material.
- Ensure adequate standards are maintained in collection and disposal of clinical waste.
Communication and coordination role
- Maintain periodic relationship with the representatives of the Orthopedic Department at AlAqsa Hospital.
-To act as a liaison between the medical staff at AlAqsa Hospital and MdM Medical Coordinator and volunteersMdM healthcare staff involved in the project implementation
- Initiate and maintain contacts with MdM France and other medical organizations. to stimulate cooperation.
Human resources role
- Support the Medical Coordinator and Project Manager in writing/revising the profile of the volunteers who will participate in the scheduled medical mission.
- Support the international medical and surgical teams during the implementation of the scheduled medical mission.
Other Specific Tasks
- Technical support for purchase orders of material supply and consumable stocks.
- Ensure the good use and proper storage of the material supply and consumable stocks.
- Ensure that an accurate monitoring and forecasting of product consumption is done.
- Ensure that surgical equipment and devices are regularly maintained.
- Ensure safety and quality of health care structures and facilities during the project implementation (including infection control and other preventive measures).
- Any other task related to the position, requested by the Project Manager or General Coordinator.
- Mental Health diploma minimum
- Special training in postoperative care will be an advantage.
- Preferably 18-24 months International NGO field experience in Gaza.
- Experience in management of medical programs.
- Knowledge of clinical topics relevant to surgical care i.e. infection control, sterilization techniques, hygiene and postoperative infections.
- Experience in implementing projects with the Ministry of Health.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with proven ability in report writing
- Ability to motivate and lead a culturally diverse medical team.
- Stress management and flexibility during the implementation of medical missions.
- Experience working in complex emergency context.
- Strict compliance with the safety protocols established by Médicos del Mundo.
- Alignment with principles and ethics of Medicos del Mundo.
- Fluent in Arabic and English (spoken, reading and writing).
- Knowledge of Spanish will be an asset.
- Microsoft Office package (especially Word, Excel and Outlook).
- SPSS and/or statistical software will be an asset.
Salary scales of Médicos del Mundo in the country will be applicable.
People interested in the position must send their resume or CV, 2 references and a one-page motivation letter in English to [email protected] before September 23, 2018 indicating in the subject: Nurse – Gaza.
MdM Spain will contact only pre-selected candidates by email. Applications unanswered within 15 days after deadline must be considered dismissed.
The position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is identified.
Médicos del Mundo promotes equal opportunities. No candidate with a valid profile will be excluded because of a functional diversity or for whatever birth, ethnicity, religion, age or gender reasons.