MEDICAL DOCTOR (POSITIONS 3)
Medecins Sans Frontieres “Doctors without Borders” is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is currently seeking to hire a Medical Doctor to work in the MSF post-operative care project located in Al Awda HOSPITAL, Palestine
Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the OPD patients and hospitalized IPD patients(post-operative care included), through daily visits , consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control.
- Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
Operational / Technical Responsibilities
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnosis and prevention (helped by clinical examination, laboratory results and exams available)
- If necessary prescribe relevant treatment according to MSF guidelines and protocols
- Ensure a medical follow-up of quality and if necessary (and possible) refer to other health facilities.
- Apply hygiene standards in all medical activities.
- Keep informed the patient and his family about any development
- Collaborate with nurses and team supervisor in indicating the needs in medical equipment and drugs.
IPD: Responsible of in-patients coordinates activities around patients in the ward.
- Work in collaboration with surgeons, anaesthetists, physiotherapy teams in the post-operative care.
- Ensure the best security and comfort of the patient after the surgery, up to complete wake up of him/her.after the surgery.
- Ensure a daily round in the ward in the morning with a second examination in the afternoon :
- - Examine all the patients using universal precautions.
- - Take a history and perform a physical examination of new patients
- - Regularly examine all patients and identify possible medical, surgical or psychological problems.
- - Inform the patient about his/her state and explain the treatment.
- - Identify need for patients’ education.
- Coordinate the treatment with the other prescribing doctors.
- Coordinate with the nurse supervisor the admission of new patients according to their personal, medical and infection status.
- Assess and coordinate the need for external consultations (to Beitlahya clinic patient referrals to other health structure.
- Assess and manage pre- and postoperative care.
- Ensure the respect for blood transfusion security in the ward
- Ensure the follow up of infection parameters, results of cultures and antibiotic treatment
- Ensure the follow up of pain control
- Ensure the follow up of chronic and acute medical conditions
- Ensure the follow-up concerning surgical issues: wound care, mobilization, casts, slabs and tractions…
- Ensure comprehensive documentation in the patients' medical file in a timely and accurate manner diagnosis, lab exams, treatments, plan and discharge orders.
- Ensure the systematic and organized follow up of previous hospitalized patients in OPD.
OPD: Ensures the systematic and organized follow up of previous hospitalized patients in OPD (when required).
- Ensure the follow-up of treatments of previous hospitalized patients, including short- term prescriptions and renewal of long-term prescriptions.
- Ensure the follow-up and interpretations of the results of investigations.
- Take the history and performs a physical examination of patients with medical complains. Define diagnosis and ensure treatment.
- Assess and coordinate the need for external consultations/ referrals.
- Inform the patient about his/her treatment, explain how to take it and ensure the understanding.
- Ensure comprehensive documentation in the patient’s medical file in a timely and accurate manner diagnosis, lab exams, treatments, and plan and discharge orders.
- Notify the surgeons of any medical problem related to surgery, including pain, changes in the infection parameters, pertinent medical information…
- Regular follow-up of patients with long-term daily dressings.
- Identify the need for patient’s education and provides education.
- Check the good course of medical activities within the ward and the data (prescription correctly applied, necessary follow-up done…)
- Organize and work in collaboration with other wards and departments (OPD, OT, physiotherapy…).
- Together with the nurse supervisor, organize periodically training and simulations for the nurses in basic medicine and emergency care ( recognition of complication signs, support of seriously ill patients, etc)
- To ensure continuity according to MSF protocols and guidelines care when situation dictates he/she would-be asked to define treatment protocols or treatment adaptation to specific cases for the nurses to follow.
- Data collection: ensure and supervise that the patients are registered correctly, ensure and supervise the correct imputation of data in all data collection files, performed systematic/monthly data analysis (linked with drug consumption) and write a monthly report in collaboration with the team.
- Participate in the development of the plan of action
- Notifies any problems to the Medical director
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Recognized medical doctor diploma/degree ( plus inscription to the national register of the country of the mission, if the is one)
2 year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training). Desirable general practice, general medicine or minor surgery
MSF experience or in other international organizations is an advantage.
- Analytical, Synthetic, Planning capabilities, reporting capability,
- Organizational skills, problem solving,
- Multi-tasks management, delegation skills,
- Communication skills, negotiation skills, Writing capabilities
- Computer skills (good knowledge of MS Office and specifically excel)
- Diplomacy, good communication and interpersonal skills,
- Multi-cultural flexibility or experience, Team Player, open-minded
- Calm, stress management, patient, ability to listen
- Rigorous, organized
- Strong sense of integrity
Date of position opening : 20/09/2018
Candidates must be available immediately
Type of contract - Fixed Term Contract (until 31/12/2018) potentially renewable according to the needs.
For those who find themselves to be eligible, please send:
- your C.V.
- a cover letter
- by e-mail [email protected] with subject: APPLICATION for the function for which you apply
- or to MSF Office (A Husseini Street, near El Wehda Street, Gaza City) with subject: APPLICATION for the function for which you apply
DEADLINE : no later 27/09/2018 5:00 pm