Mechanical Engineer, Grade 12
For Roster Purposes
Project Funded Post
Deadline for Applications 03 August 2019
Contract Type & Duration
Fixed-Term Appointment for 3 years (applies to internal candidates on Fixed-Term contract only); including 1 year probation period, with the possibility of further extension, subject to the availability of funds, satisfactory performance and continuing need.
Limited Duration Contract for 1 year (applies to external candidates, internal candidates on LDC, and Ex Emergency Staff who were considered as internal candidates); renewable; Appointment subject to funding confirmation.
Vacancy Announcement Number VN/WB/088/2019/X
Duty Station & Department
Area Office Jerusalem- Infrastructure and Camp Improvement Programme
UNRWA is committed to achieving gender parity at all levels of staffing under the current UN-wide gender agenda and strongly encourages applications from qualified women.
UNRWA welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities.
UNRWA, the largest United Nations operation in the Middle East with over 30,000 staff working across five areas of operation, is looking for professionals like you.
UNRWA’s human development goals
UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states, regional bodies, business foundations and individual contributions. UNRWA has identified four human development goals as the focus of the Agency’s operations in committing to fostering human development of Palestine refugees by helping them to: lead long and healthy lives, acquire knowledge and skills, achieve decent standards of living and enjoy human rights to the fullest possible extent.
How can you make a difference?
You will be joining a team of around 4,000 staff in the West Bank Field Office working to foster the human development of some 800,000 registered Palestine refugees.
The incumbent of this post is responsible to the Head Electro-Mechanical Division.
The main responsibilities include:
In accordance with established Agency policy and procedures, the incumbent:
- Assists in the design and development of Heat Ventilation and Air Conditioning system (HVAC), fire alarm and extinguishing systems, water and sewage pumping stations or systems and/or components to high specifications, focusing on economy, safety, reliability, quality and sustainability.
- Provides technical supervision during the implementation of projects, and maintenance works; receives the completed projects from contractors; ensures contractors' adherence to drawings, specifications, bills of quantities and the set time schedule and exercises quality control.
- Arranges for testing of materials and maintains a measurement book.
- Keeps a diary, recording day to day on progress of construction.
- Modifies the contracts’ documents to meet the work requirements.
- Prepares interim and final payments based on the signed contracts.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Conditions of service
Option One: Fixed Term Appointment, Grade 12
Monthly basic salary JD821.6. Other benefits include monthly Provident Fund contribution (15% of basic salary paid by the Agency), compulsory medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, and dependency allowance (if applicable).
Option Two: Limited Duration Contract (LDC- Band E)
Monthly basic salary JD944.8 depending on the professional knowledge and experience. Other benefits include compulsory medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave pre-rated to the duration of the contract where less than one year, and family allowance (if applicable).
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
To qualify for this position, you will need:
A university degree in mechanical engineering.
At least two years working experience in design, maintenance or construction and technical administration.
Good command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Possession of a valid driving license.
- Good Knowledge of AutoCAD and computer skills.
You will also need to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others in team environment.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor and control repair works.
- Ability to develop clear goals and prioritize activities and assignments.
- Ability to manage projects.
- Proven team leadership skills and commercial awareness.
- Proven ability to perform at the supervisory level with minimal direct supervision.
“Please ensure that the e-mail address and mobile phone number that you have written in your Personal History Form are accurate and active. Your statues in relation to the vacancy will be communicated to you via email listed on your Personal History Form.
It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide full, accurate and up to date information in his/her application form. Any missing and/or misleading data may lead to candidate disqualification.”
Candidates with an equivalent combination of relevant academic qualifications, professional training and progressive work experience may also be considered if there will not be enough qualified candidates.
For guidance on how to prepare for competency-based interviews:
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.unrwa.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNRWA Personal History Form. Only applications received through http://jobs.unrwa.org will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNRWA vacancies, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process. The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
This vacancy notice is open to internal and external candidates. As an Area post, preference will be given to local candidates already based in the duty station of the post.
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non-smoking work environment.
The Agency reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.
On appointment, all individuals will be asked to sign a self-attestation, confirming that they have not committed, been convicted of, or prosecuted for, any criminal offence and that they have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.