Local Project Coordinator (LPC) for the Palestinian-Swiss Intellectual Property Project
MA'AN Development Center and the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property (IPI) are seeking to fill the vacant position of a full time Local Project Coordinator (LPC) based in Ramallah.
The Palestinian-Swiss Intellectual Property Project (PALSIP) is funded by the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO), with a duration of three years. The project will be implemented by IPI in partnership with MA’AN Development Center and in close cooperation with the main project partner (and beneficiary), namely the General Directorate of Intellectual Property (GDIP) of the oPt.
The overall objective of the project is to “contribute to the strengthening of the intellectual property (IP) legal framework and the services of IP-relevant institutions in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt), which are essential components to support the innovation ecosystem and to promote employment opportunities”.
Day-to-day implementation will be coordinated through a Project Management Team (PMT), consisting of the IPI Project Coordinators (PCs) based in Bern, Switzerland, a National Focal Point (NFP) as the focal point inside the GDIP, and the Local Project Coordinator (LPC).
The LPC will be employed by MA’AN and be based in Ramallah. The LPC will report to the IPI PCs, in Bern. The LPC will represent the IPI with regard to PALSIP in the oPt, and will be in charge of local project implementation, administration, and accounting.
The role of the LPC is to support the IPI in the planning, implementation, administration, accounting and monitoring of PALSIP, with the aim of ensuring a successful project implementation.
Specifically, the LPC is expected to contribute significantly to:
- Plan and coordinate PALSIP project activities (including but not limited to planning and managing an IP capacity building component) while ensuring appropriate and practical use of allocated funds in Palestine.
- Manage coordination and interactions with the GDIP's National Focal Point for efficient project delivery.
- Provide input for informed decision-making by the Steering Committee through result monitoring and reporting.
- Promote effectiveness and alignment of technical assistance by coordinating with other donor-funded projects, the GDIP, and partner entities.
Major Duties Include:
Technical project implementation and organisation
- Planning, participating in and monitoring all project activities
- Preparing operational work plans and activity budgets to be submitted to the SC
- Providing the necessary support to GDIP and other partner entities for the effective implementation of all project activities;
- Participating in regular coordination calls with the PALSIP Project Coordinators at IPI in Bern;
- Coordinating and participating in the PMT and its meetings in Ramallah;
- Scheduling and preparing the agendas/minutes of the PMT meetings;
- Preparing and participating in meetings of the SC, including drafting minutes;
- Providing day-to-day project management support in coordination with the PCs for the preparation and implementation of project activities, ensuring that they are delivered in a timely and are of good quality;
- Supporting the work of local experts, and preparing and supporting missions of international experts to the oPt.
Administration and finance
- Preparing progress reports for the PCs at IPI;
- Arranging assignments and preparing terms of reference and contracts with sub-contractors of the PALSIP in the oPt (based on MA’AN’s procurement procedures and practices);
- Arranging local disbursements (after approval by the PCs at IPI);
- Managing local funds administration, including financial and managerial accounting, based on IPI guidelines, by using the WINPACCS® accounting software provided by the IPI;
- Preparing and supporting financial audits and project evaluations.
- Representing the interests of and acting as a focal point for the IPI in the oPt for all matters concerning the PALSIP;
- Maintaining close linkages and communication, when and where relevant, with other development partners and agencies in sectors relevant to the Project in the oPt to ensure that complementarities and synergies with other IP, trade, legal/regulatory reform and private sector development activities that may be carried out in the oPt are taken into account and that duplication is avoided;
- Networking with stakeholders and keeping the IPI informed about any important developments relating to IP in the oPt in general, and the project in particular;
- Ensuring that corporate design requirements of the project (IPI logo; Swiss Confederation) are applied in the oPt;
- Provide written and oral translation English-Arabic;
- Keep the IPI informed about any important developments affecting IP in the oPt;
- Providing any other support to the IPI that might be required in order to ensure a successful implementation of the Project.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- BA or MA degree in Development, Law, Economics, Project Management, Business Administration, or other related fields.
- At least five years of experience in project management or programs’ coordination (if MA holder, at least 3 years of experience)
- Experience with working with the Palestinian Authority and coordinating with various governmental institutions.
- Basic knowledge of Intellectual Property
- Fluent in English and Arabic
- Experience in financial management
- A valid driver’s license is an advantage.
Skills and Personal attributes:
- High working proficiency in English, both in speaking and writing
- Able to translate and interpret between English and Arabic
- Strong inter-cultural competences
- Strong organisational and team skills
- Excellent reporting skills
- Basic IT skills and willingness to learn how to use new software
- Proactive, willingness to travel and networking skills
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, prioritize workload, and multi-task.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an application as per the following:
- Save as / Download the employment application from the following link: MAAN Employment Application
- Fill in the employment application and save the document with the name of the applicant and the position.
- Fill in the required information at the following link: https://forms.gle/sHY3MSzTRjHjA8Gb9
- Attach the employment application within the previous link.
- Applications will not be considered if the employment application is not attached in the previous link.
- Applications will only be accepted until Saturday 23 September 2023
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
MA'AN Development Center is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women to apply for all position.