Job Title Irrigation Specialist - West Bank & Gaza
Location PS (Primary)
Category Local Hire
Job Type Full-time
Career Level Experienced (Non-Manager)
Education Bachelor's Degree
Travel Up to 25%
CNFA is seeking applications from qualified candidates for an Irrigation Specialist position for the USAID Effective Management of Irrigation Water Activity. The purpose of this activity will be to work with farmers in the West Bank and Gaza (WBG) to improve climate-resilient conservation and management of freshwater resources and associated ecosystems by increasing the availability, quality, and environmental resilience of drinking water supply sources. The duration of this Activity will be four years.
Reporting to the Water Management Lead, the Irrigation Specialist will be responsible for laying the groundwork and contributing to the development of a strategy to improve access to affordable, high-quality, small-scale irrigation technology that is suitable to the activity’s targeted farmers The Irrigation Specialist is based in West Bank.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize relevant information needed in initiating an irrigation project; including, a site’s historical data pertaining to an irrigation system’s condition or its spare parts condition. Identify opportunities for optimizing irrigation efficiency and reducing water wastage.
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment of existing irrigation practices and water management systems, review and analyze hydrological studies for project planning purposes.
- Provide advice on convenient smart irrigation interventions for each agricultural zone. This might include but not limited to the design and installation of low-flow emitters, construction of rainwater harvesting cisterns among others.
- Assess current irrigation systems efficiency, design (including specifications of the modern low-flow emitters systems), supervise the installation and testing of the new efficient irrigation systems, in addition to maintenance of irrigation infrastructure.
- Prepare and produce related maps, drawings, specific technical specifications, detailed Scope of Work (SOW), BoQ and cost estimate, timelines and quality assurance relating to all aspects of the planned irrigation activities including irrigation schemes.
- Contribute to the detailed project work plans in line with the budget and in collaboration with relevant units to ensure successful implementation of the project in accordance with relevant national and international technical standards.
- Contribute to irrigation-related assessments (rapid assessments, surface and groundwater status analyses, baseline and endline surveys, etc.), including any capitalization and learning exercises.
- Participate in irrigation grants design, selection of services providers and/or grantees, monitor the project implementation.
- Provide technical guidance and support to farmers and project beneficiaries on best practices for efficient irrigation.
- Support the capacity building and training efforts of Water Users Associations (WUAs).
- Recommend mechanisms/strategies to promote adoption of small-scale irrigation technologies SSIT by a large number of smallholder farmers.
- Develop training modules/flyers based on the relevant tasks described in this SOW
- Elaborate a capacity building plan to train staff and beneficiaries (including water users association).
- Develop needed tools and materials for projects, including its inventory. S/He is also responsible for setting parameters on the use of materials and services within the approved financial budgets of the irrigation projects.
- Counsel grantees in terms of water usage that may increase a farmer’s productivity and decrease the cost.
- Monitor the irrigation system in terms of its usability and its maintenance programs.
- In charge of directing needed workers in irrigation system projects
- Advise grantees on the following:
- Maintenance and repair of irrigation systems and related components including irrigation lines, sprinkler heads, control panels, valves, pumps, etc.
- Checking system for proper operation and timing.
- Conducting regular inventory parts and supplies.
- In collaboration with the MEL unit, prepare specific technical reports on the outcomes of irrigation-related activities and prepare progress reports.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Irrigation and Soil, Water Engineering, or a related field; masters preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in developing irrigation systems or technical irrigation administration, experience in private sector work is preferred.
- Experience working on USAID-funded or other international donor-funded projects is preferred.
- Ability to plan, implement, monitor, evaluate (conduct an impact assessment), and report on irrigation and water management projects.
- Experience of translating national policies and strategies on irrigation and water management into implementable projects for smallholder farmers.
- Ability to prepare and design guidelines for installation of small-scale irrigation equipment.
- Ability to work with remote and rural communities.
- Strong verbal and written skills in English and Arabic are required.
CNFA IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER It is the policy of CNFA to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons, regardless of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, membership or non-membership in an employee organization, veteran status, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors, except where otherwise provided by law.
REASONABLE ACCOMODATION & CONTACT INFORMATION CNFA provides a reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please contact the CNFA Home Office Human Resources Department via email at [email protected] or via phone at 202-296-3920 if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job with us.
Interested and qualified candidates can apply online through Apply Now-button below