Sustainable Development through improved Local Governance (SDLG) Program.
Activity name, description and number
Detailed in-depth capacity and needs assessment of the Local Authorities in West Ramallah Cluster.
Introduction and Background
Sustainable Development through Improved Local Governance (SDLG) program, funded by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs and implemented by VNG International, focuses on increasing legitimacy and stability in marginalized communities in rural Palestine, in the upcoming 5 years (2022-2026). By focusing on local governance, VNG International aims to strengthen Palestine’s sovereignty and control over its territories, in Area A, B and C.
The main challenge facing Palestinian cities and communities lies in the political, spatial, and administrative divisions in the West Bank. The division of the West Bank into Areas A, B, and C, led to the emergence of the phenomenon of land fragmentation, scattering and scarcity. This resulted in a lack of established integrated service networks across local governments and insufficient representation of communities in marginalized areas by their local governments.
Therefore, the program’s main objective is: LAs in marginalized communities in rural Palestine are increasingly legitimate and stable. In order to achieve this, we will work on four outcomes:
Outcome 1: Palestinian LAs act more accountable, responsive and inclusive to resident’s needs.
Outcome 2: Palestinian LAs act in a more inclusive, sustainable and prepared manner on the basis of strategic and spatial plans.
Outcome 3: Palestinian stakeholders provide an enabling environment to the developing Village Councils.
Outcome 4: Palestinian government actors are aware of the evidence base to enhance resilience of communities in Area C.
Context for current Terms of Reference
Area C is fundamental for the viability of Palestine and its economy, as it spans 61% of the West Bank’s territory. Around 300,000 Palestinians live in area C, all of whom face territorial and administrative fragmentation and financial restrictions. In addition, the other 2.6 million Palestinians live in Area A and B depend on Area C for their own movement and that of goods, as well as for the usage of natural resources, which all remain limited due to a complex set of restrictive policies and enforcement practices of Israeli authorities.
One of SDLG aims is to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of local authorities in Area C, who need to deal with limited funding and personnel capacity
The programme will start with a cluster of 8 communities in the West of Ramallah and El-Bireh Governorate. These are: Shuqba, Qibya, Shabtin, Budrus, Deir Qaddis, Ni’lin, Kharbatha Bani Harith, and Al Midya. In totality the cluster is home to about 30.000 inhabitants and spans an area of almost 78.525 dunums.
After a year we will use the lessons learned of the implementation within this first cluster, to scale up to another cluster.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Aim of this assignment
The local expert will execute an in-depth capacity and needs assessment of the aforementioned 8 Local Authorities (LAs). This assessment will provide a detailed capacity overview of the current status for each one of the 8 LAs, and the joint priority needs for the whole cluster in order to enable the LAs to act in a more accountable, responsive and inclusive way to residents’ needs.
The outputs of this assignment will be used as input for a workshop that will define the required interventions at each LA, define and study the effectiveness of establishing (Regional) Community service desks.
Activities to be performed
Under the supervision and directions of VNGi local and international program team and in realization of the aim of the assignment, the local expert shall perform the following activities:
Assess the strengths and weaknesses of leadership in the 8 LAs.:
• Leadership (managing culture, setting direction, supporting resource
development, ensuring tasks are done)
• Strategic planning (scanning environment, developing tactics to
attain objectives, goals, mission)
• Niche management (area of expertise, uniqueness, recognition of
• Communication with the public
• Negotiation (using the right negotiation terminologies and technics).
Assess the strengths and weaknesses of financial management:
• Financial planning (operating expenses, forecast future monetary
needs and requirements)
• Financial accountability (rules for staff member use of financial resources, transparent/verified system)
• Financial systems / available financial solutions and the required solutions.
Assess the strengths and weaknesses of the organizational structure:
• Governance (legal framework, decision-making process, methods for
setting direction, external links)
• Operational (roles and responsibilities, coordination of labor and coordination of systems)
Assess the strengths and weaknesses of the organizational infrastructure:
• Technology management (equipment, information systems, hardware / software)
Assess the strengths and weaknesses of the following systems, processes or dimensions of human resources:
• Planning (recruiting, selecting, staffing, orienting)
• Developing (performance management, monitoring, evaluation)
• Career management (career development, training)
• Maintenance (health/safety issues, gender issues, quality of working life)
Assess the strengths and weaknesses of the service management:
• Planning (identifying needs, setting objectives, costing alternatives,
developing evaluation systems)
• Implementing (adherence to schedules, coordination of activities)
• Monitoring (projects/programs, systems for evaluating progress, communicating feedback to citizens and relevant stakeholders)
Assess the strengths and weaknesses of process management:
• Problem-solving (defining problems, gathering data)
• Decision-making (creating alternatives, deciding on solutions, monitoring decisions)
• Communications (exchanging accurate/vital information, achieving
shared understanding among organizational members)
• Monitoring and evaluation (generating data, tracking progress, utilizing information, changing and improving the organization)
Assess the strengths and weaknesses of interorganizational linkages:
• Networks (type, nature, appropriate membership, utility, coordination,
• Partnerships (type, nature, sustainability)
• Electronic linkages (communication networks, information equipment,
information resources, people of all skills/backgrounds)
Discuss intermediate results of the assessment with VNG international SDLG program team.
Lead and facilitate technical workshop with the LAs to develop a well-defined attainable implementation plan, with time schedule and responsibility matrix.
Outputs (expected deliverables)
(A): The expert shall produce two (2) detailed, well-structured and precise technical assessment reports; one in Arabic and another in English, with the written results of the above listed activities of the overall capacity development needs of the targeted LAs, the specific needs of each individual LA according to different categories (size, staff, and location). For the description of the current situation, process / informational flow charts should be used to create a graphical overview.
The assessment report should also include:
· The strengths and weaknesses of the current LAs approach to citizens’ services as part of the service management;
· Recommendations to improve the LAs financial, administrative, and IT systems with clear and transparent criteria for allocation of IT solutions, equipment and resources.
· A well-defined attainable implementation plan, with time schedule and responsibility matrix.
Routing of the reporting occurs according to the following guidelines:
1. The expert will work in close collaboration with the local Field manager and VNGi local and international program team.
2. The expert will ensure that a proper level of information prior to, during and after the activity is provided to VNGi.
3. The expert will report directly to the field manager at VNGi.
4. The expert will not report directly to the beneficiary.
(B): Workshop: Technical workshop with the LAs to validate the assessment results, and to develop a well-defined attainable implementation plan, with time schedule and responsibility matrix.
المسمى الوظيفي In-depth Capacities and Needs Assessment Expert
آخر موعد للتقديم 04 - Sep - 2022
المكان رام الله والبيرة
نوع الوظيفة العقود والاستشارات
المستوى المهني إدارة عليا/تنفيذي
الدرجة العلمية البكالوريوس
الخبرة 7 Years
التصنيف الإدارة والأعمال
The local Expert should have the following minimum requirements:
· Excellent command of English and Arabic Language;
· Excellent writing and reporting skills;
· Excellent communication skills;
· Pro-active and representative attitude, able to work independently;
· Efficient time management.
- At least 10 years of demonstrated experience with local government;
- At least 7 years of demonstrated experience in institutional and capacity assessment;
- Have strong experience in MIS, business process management, re-engineering and analysis;
- Profound experience in system analysis and information system is essential;
- ICT management experience in ERP applications, preferably in the local government sector;
- Capability of aligning business processes with functional and technical aspects;
- Possess strong analytical, communication and management skills, as well as solid mediating and consensus building skills;
- Familiarity with techniques for organizational design, process improvement, technology assimilation and process modelling;
- Have demonstrated skills in working with public sector development concepts and procedures.
Approximate number of working days
The allocated level of effort to perform the aforementioned activities is 20 working days in total.
The local expert will submit his time sheet and invoice using the VNGi templates and formats.
NB: Holidays and vacations, and days of illness are not considered as working days.
Period of the assignment
The assignment will be implemented during the period starts on 18 September 2022 and ends by 13 November 2022.
Place of the assignment
- West Bank
Local individual experts are requested to submit their application form that consists of: cover letter, CV, technical offer includes methodology and approach, and financial offer by COB, Sunday 04 September 2022.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily rate to undertake the ToR above.
Applications to be sent via email to
Mrs. Amal Odeh
Resources (background information)
- Program’s proposal
- Scoping mission report
- PEA Report
- Background information on the target area (Data sheet and contact details).
نصيحة من جوبس لحمايتك : عند التقدم لاية وظيفة عن طريق الانترنت، لا تقم بإعطاء معلومات بطاقة الأعتماد او أية معلومات بنكية / مالية لصاحب عمل.
آخر الوظائف المعلنة بواسطة VNG International اتحاد البلديات الهولندية للتعاون
Engineering Support Officer-Urban Planning Engineer
رام الله والبيرة
Individual Local Q-GIS Expert
رام الله والبيرة, سلفيت وبديا,...
رام الله والبيرة
23, Dec, 2021
رام الله والبيرة
21, Oct, 2021
National Expert in Good Governance
رام الله والبيرة
17, Sep, 2020
National Expert/ Strategic and LED Plan for KM Cluster
رام الله والبيرة
9, Sep, 2020
Local Expert in Gender Equality
رام الله والبيرة
27, May, 2020
Internship - IT
رام الله والبيرة
23, Jan, 2020