The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger. Our goal is to achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. With 195 members - 194 countries and the European Union, FAO works in over 130 countries worldwide to promote better production, better nutrition and better environment for a better life.
The FAO Coordination Office for the West Bank and Gaza Strip Programme implements the Country Programming Framework for Palestine to enhance the wellbeing of Palestinian people by making the agrifood system more efficient, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable in alignment with national policies and strategies and the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSCDF).
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the FAO WBGS Head of Office, and direct supervision of the FAO WBGS Head of Programme in close consultation with the respective Project Managers, the Gender Analyst will perform the duties and tasks indicated below in support of the FAO’s programme implementation:
· Coordinate the implementation of gender related activities under FAO programme as required; this includes leading the efforts towards quality, implementation of initiatives that address women empowerment and gender equality dimensions;
· Ensure full gender mainstreaming in the projects’ activities; establish continued interaction and dialogue with targeted beneficiary communities, farmers and women’s groups as well as other relevant local actors to ensure participation and local ownership in the project’s objectives and activities with particular focus on gender dimensions;
· Collect, consolidate and analyse related data and information needed to ensure evidence-based design, implementation, and monitoring of the gender mainstreaming activities; design and assist in the implementation of the field activities aiming at continued learning, knowledge generation and dissemination throughout the projects’ implementation;
· Assist in the definition and drafting of ToRs, LoAs, application forms, selection criteria, communication and information products, training programs and other related programmatic actions to ensure gender mainstreaming and inclusion in line with the relevant corporate guidelines;
· Support the preparation for and actively participate in the projects’ meetings,workshops, focus groups and other field activities as needed and; draft, enrich, and review information materials, progress, and terminal reports as required;
· Provide day-today assistance in the beneficiary selection process for the different projects based on the set selection criteria, while ensuring gender equality, equity and mainstreaming principles and practices following related FAO guidelines;
· Conduct field visits as needed in order to assess, measure and document output level achievements and impact of the different types of FAO’s interventions and field activities focusing on gender balance and inclusion;
· Design and assist in the implementation of the gender related learning, knowledge generation and dissemination activities;
· Develop regular insight reports and briefs on identified needs and priorities from the community and gender perspective and elaborate approaches for programming ensuring that the needs of rural women, girls, men, and boys are taken into consideration. This includes assisting in the development and review of project concepts, documents and reports with gender and community lenses;
· Support and actively participate in the programme and project’s formulation to ensure full gender balance and transformation in line with FAO’s policies and guidelines.
· Draft, enrich, and review information materials, progress/terminal reports and project documents as required;
· Interact and liaise with community representatives, beneficiaries, farmers, women associations, the private sector and related partners, including the Ministry of Agriculture, to ensure participation and local ownership in the project’s objectives and activities with a particular focus on gender dimensions; and continuously identify and report on the community and gender-focused needs and priorities as well as defining resilience-building socio-economic opportunities at the community and institutional level;
· Act as Gender Focal Point and contribute to the implementation of the FAO Policy on Gender Equality and its minimum standards. The GFP is expected to coordinate with the FAO Regional Gender Officer (to ensure the consistency of FAO’s gender work at the regional level) and collaborate the regional network of Gender Focal Points (to facilitate learning and knowledge exchange across the region).
· Assist in building the project staff’s and partners’ capacity in understanding and applying approaches, tools, and best practices in relation to gender equity, equality and mainstreaming while promoting the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA);
· Perform other tasks as and when requested.
The key results have an impact on the delivery of the programme in terms of quality and accuracy of gender inclusion work. Accurate information management, analysis and presentation and a client-oriented approach enhances FAO’s capability to effectively and efficiently manage project’s activities while ensuring quality implementation of projects and effective gender inclusion and mainstreaming in contribution to the attainment of FAP CPF towards progressing SDG 1 and SDG 2 among other relevant SDGs.
FAO Core Competencies:
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
· Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards,
· Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of FAO,
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability,
· Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
· Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office.
· Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills. Operational Effectiveness:
· Ability to apply conceptual models in support of formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects,
· Strong IT skills.
Management and Leadership:
· Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback, · Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude,
· Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills,
· Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure,
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
· Effectively communicates relevant project information to superiors,
· Delivers engaging, informative and well-organized presentations,
· Demonstrated ability to work in a team, and interpersonal skills.