Association of Palestinian Local Authorities "APLA"
Job description – Fiscal Decentralization Officer
Position: Fiscal Decentralization Officer - APLA
The Fiscal Decentralization Officer shall:
- Be the focal point of all matters related to the Local Government Units’ fiscal framework conditions and in relation with the central government;
- Supports and contributes to the activities related to the design, rolling out, and implementation of the fiscal decentralization policy, local government revenue mobilization and the related public financial management issues in the local government sector in Palestine;
- Manages relevant fiscal data at sector level, contribute to all advocacy interventions and assure that fiscal matters and costings are always mainstreamed in APLA's policy position papers; and
Founded in 1997, APLA is an independent organization mandated to represent and lobby for the collective interests of Local Government Units (LGUs) by supporting capacity building among local governments, facilitating exchange of knowledge and best practices, and serving as vehicle for dialogue between the central government and LGUs.
APLA signed a grant contract with the European Union (EU) on 12 December 2021 with total EU contribution of € 1.9 million, to implement the project (APLA’s Multiannual Action Plan (MAAP) 2021-2025). This project has been designed to strengthen LGUs collaborations on service delivery and local participatory development, and improve contributions to territorial integration, particularly in Area C. Specific objectives of MAAP are aligned to APLA’s strategic plan and aims to support the role of APLA as LGUs representative and dialogue partner with the Palestinian Authority, in order to support the role of the LGUs in the building process of future State of Palestine.
Accordingly, APLA is looking forward to hiring a Fiscal Decentralization Officer to fulfill the following tasks:
The Fiscal Decentralization Officer will be responsible for:
- Provide and update high level advisory services to APLA staff and LGUs’ in relevance with the relation with the central government;
- Develop a fiscal decentralization strategy, policy and plan and maintain and provide a high-level technical advice on provisions of the current fiscal decentralization policy/ies and strategy/ies being developed;
- Develop relevant policies and advise to stakeholders that are involved in the fiscal relation with the central government;
- Provide a well-balanced advice, given the various competing interests often involved in development and implementation of fiscal decentralization policies;
- Suggest and support local government revenue mobilization initiatives involving working with LGUs and relevant government institutions;
- Support and advice on the issue of “Net Lending” to assure justice and fairness for LGU’s;
- Support in raising and improving the financial situation of APLA’s members, i.e. Local Government Units - LGUs, by collecting and finalising means of good finance management (resources and expenditures) and collection as well as the LGU’s rights with the central government;
- Maintain and develop relationships with relevant government officials and fiscal decentralisation internal and external stakeholders in order to get and provide advice that focuses on practical steps to be taken towards fiscal decentralization;
- Address the financial constraints of the LGUs, enhanced own-revenues and a better framework for local economic development and public-private partnerships.
- Advise APLA management towards improving the fiscal space of LGUs and advocate for improved local finances and the establishment of a transparent, formula-based and predictable intergovernmental fiscal transfer process for all LGUs.
- Release and make success in initiating the local collection of Property Tax, which is impeded by the centralized collection modality and a lack of updated property valuations,
- Maintain the right and interests of LGUs in the Education Tax transfers; especially the rules for funds utilization.
- Undertake research and analysis, review alternatives related to local government fiscal affairs, identify and develop recommendations, to lead the fiscal decentralization policy process adopted by APLA;
- Prepare “Position Papers” and participate actively in executing the fiscal decentralization policy that is related to local governance;
- Support and facilitate the work of APLA’s Policy Group (Policy, SDGs Localization, and Gender Mainstreaming) in their planning. Follow up and manage the policies’ development process adopted by APLA;
- Maintain and develop relationships with relevant government officials and internal and external stakeholders in order to get and provide advice that focuses on the day-to-day concerns of APLA;
- Provide training, coaching and mentoring of individuals and groups of APLA’s and LGUs’ staff to ensure understanding of the values and principles of the relation with the central government and fiscal transfer through technical hubs by face-to-faces and on-line meetings;
- Deliver and write briefings, presentations, reports, and speeches; and
- Prepare and submit regular implementation progress reports to APLA’s Executive Director and TSU Manager.
The Fiscal Decentralization Officer will work in APLA’S office in Ramallah to provide effective and efficient management of APLAs technical support unit in Policy affairs. The Fiscal Decentralization Officer will report on a day to day basis to the TSU Manager of APLA.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Qualifications and experiences:
- University degree in Accounting, Finance, financial analysis, Auditing, Economics, Public Administration, Community Development, or any other related fields.
- Experience in governmental and semi-governmental fiscal development.
- Good experience in local governance finance.
- At least 7 years working experience in related positions
- Excellent knowledge in Ms. Office (word, excel, power point, outlook).
- Fluent in both Arabic and English.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Strong understanding of local government sector policies and advocacy.
- Excellent skills in research, planning, monitoring, results-based reports.
Place of the assignment
Qualified candidates should send the most recent resume, including three professional references, and a cover letter detailing their interest for this position to the email address: [email protected] , indicating the position title (Fiscal Decentralization Officer) in the email subject line.
Deadline for submitting resumes with cover letters: Thu. 12 May 2022.
Short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
“APLA is an equal opportunities employer”
One year, with possibility of extension.