The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Gaza, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Mission Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Finance Manager, Finance &Compliance Officer and Finance Director, the Finance Assistant will assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in timely and accurate manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- The Custodian of Mercy Corps Safe and responsible to make sure that all the needed approvals are obtained before any cash is paid from/deposited into the safe.
- Perform monthly and periodic Cash Count with the Finance Director or his/her designate.
- Work with the Finance Coordinator on managing and organizing the daily tasks, payments to be processed and the cash flow transactions in Gaza.
- Scan all payments/expense reports/Travel Approvals/etc. and submit them to Finance Team in Jerusalem for their financial review as per the AAM.
- Make sure all required documents are attached; calculations are correct, appropriate approvals and reviews are obtained as per the AAM before payment of any cash or bank payments are processed.
- Prepare checks or wire transfer requests based on fully approved documents and present to approved check-signers for review and signature.
- Enter all transactions to the accounting software under the supervision of both the Finance Coordinator & Finance Manager whenever required.
- Assist the Finance Coordinator following up with the employee who runs GSG Cafeteria and collect on regular basis (TBD) the cafeteria money. Update and maintain the related tracking sheet.
- Assist the Finance Coordinator following up with the employee who manages GSG desk/room rental agreements to collect on regular basis (depending on the agreement terms) the rental fees. Update and maintain the related tracking sheet.
- Scanning and backup all Finance Documents when payments are completed and approved.
- File all cash and bank vouchers and maintain filing system such that files are updated, complete and safeguarded, including co-ordination with Admin department regarding files transfer to Ramallah
- Assist the Finance Department in responding to audit inquiries
- Review and check the receipts vouchers and contact with the client to handle Cheque.
- Follow all Mercy Corps policies, procedures and documentation requirements.
- Be adaptable and flexible to take new tasks and new assignments as requested from time to time.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Finance Coordinator
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Finance, Operations, Program and Procurement team
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- One year of bookkeeping, banking or cashiering experience
- A degree in accounting or a relevant business field is desirable.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English skills
A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. A high level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency in all cash handling is essential. The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required. A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.