Position Finance and Administration Officer (FAO)– APLA
The Finance and Administration Officer (F&AO) will be responsible for the overall administration and financial operations in the Association of Palestinian Local Authorities "APLA". The FAO will oversee internal control systems and procedures, operational accounting, financial reporting, sub award financial management and monitoring, forecasting and budget realignments for APLA Projects and operations. S/he will also work closely with APLA- Executive director to ensure compliance with all donors' regulations and for effective and pro-active management.
Founded in 1997, APLA is an independent organization mandated to represent and lobby for the collective interests of LAs by supporting capacity building among local governments, facilitating exchange of knowledge and best practices, and serving as vehicle for dialogue between the central government and LGUs.
APLA and VNG International are implementing Resilience Development Initiative (ARD). The project is largely funded by the European Union and aims at enhancing Palestinian Local Authorities contribution to governance and development processes in Area C. As a pre-condition to more equitable open and democratic society.
The programme aims at strengthening the institutional and operational capacities of the Palestinian Local Authority Association (APLA), and enables APLA to better advocate for and lobby on issues related to Area C on behalf of its members (Local Authorities) LA. In addition to improve the capacity of Khalet Al Mayya Cluster LA’s capacities in providing services, in promoting local development and in contributing to the territorial development integration are enhanced.
ARD is effectively an extension of the Inclusive Decision at Local Level (IDEAL) programme in Palestine. The IDEAL programme is funded by the Netherlands’ government. It aims to build the capacity to form and implement inclusive Local Economic Development projects and policies of staff and leaders of selected Palestinian municipalities and its supporting organizations, i.e. the Ministry of Local Government (MoLG), the Municipal Development and Lending Fund (MDLF), and the Association of Palestinian Local Authorities (APLA). ARD and IDEAL overlap with regards to the capacity development support to APLA.
The FAO will:
- Ensure adherence with APLA requirements, tools, handbooks and guidelines in line with MoLG policies and procedures.
- Prepare and develop progress reports based on the developed work plan as required by Project Manager and APLA board of directors.
- Verify and ensure all supportive documentation of all payments before reviewed by the executive director.
- Responsible for all monthly financial transactions and closing process, by ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledger and all supporting documentation.
- Ensure that all administrative and logistics tasks (office supplies, travel arrangements, hotel booking) are well monitored, documented and implemented.
- Work closely with experts to improve the APLA’s financial systems to streamline best practices of financial policies and procedures.
- Focal point person in any required audit of APLA’s throughout the year.
- Monitor expenditure against budget headings and report any variances across all cost to the executive director, by Review bank reconciliations on accurateness and correctness to ensure all the payments in the bank statements are well timely recorded.
- Ensure the quality and coherence of financial data in different databases and systems.
- In consultation with the executive director, periodically revise the financial status of the project and alert on impending under/over expenditures.
- Participate in the programme strategy, development, planning and preview/review meetings to identify staffing and administrative operational requirements.
- Undertake regular visits to targeted LAs to resolve difficult problems, support major activities, establishes and/or conduct monitoring and evaluation of their financial systems and procedures and adherence to APLA’s rules and regulations.
- Track staff vacation/sick leave and balances.
- To perform any additional tasks as requested by the executive directorof APLA.
- According to budget availability and following APLA objectives, participate in relevant sections of projects linked with administrative issues (Capacity building, organize workshops or training sessions) etc.
The Finance and administration officer will work in APLA’S office to provide effective and efficient management of APLAs finances, including aspects of budget setting and monitoring, procurement. To assist in the day to day accounting procedures and recording of all financial transactions accurately on the financial software. S/he will also work closely with APLA’s director to ensure project implementation across project activities.
The Finance and Administration Officer will report on a day to day basis to the executive director of APLA.
- University degree in finance, accounting or a related business field is required.
- Three to five years of finance experience, including budgeting.
- Strong accounting skills and experience including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
- Basic Knowledge of compliance and EU regulations in addition, to Palestinian local laws.
- Excellent command of English & Arabic. Strong interactive facilitation skills. Excellent planning and organization skills; Excellent social, communication and networking skills, both oral and in writing; Pro-active, representative and flexible attitude. Strong research and analytical skills; Able to work both work in a team and independently; Computer literate - excellent knowledge of Word and Excel is a must.
Period of the of the initial contract One year with possibility of extension (two months as probation period.)
Place of the assignment Ramallah, Palestine
Qualified candidates should send the most recent CV including Three professional contacts as references, and a cover letter detailing their interest and qualifications for this position to the following email addresses:
Deadline for submitting applications: Wedensday , May 30th, 2018 no later than 4:00pm.
Please indicate the position title (FAO) in the email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
APLA is an equal opportunities employer.