Position Status : Full-time /Part Time
Position Title : Facebook Developer in Residence
Position Type : Service Contract
Location : Gaza Sky Geeks
Duration : One Year
Department : Gaza Sky Geeks
This position is contingent on funding
Facebook’s Developer Circles team, which supports developer communities globally, has partnered with Gaza Sky Geeks to hire a senior Gazan developer with the objective of improving knowledge sharing between developers, and also to Gaza’s premier expert-in-resident on Facebook’s technologies. In partnership with Facebook, Gaza Sky Geeks (GSG) now seeks to hire an amazing senior developer with a strong history of professional experience with commercial clients and project management; expertise in Facebook technologies; and a demonstrated passion for community-building. One of the great benefits of this role is that the Developer in Residence will have special access to Facebook engineers and experts at Facebook HQ who will provide training, materials, and advice on the latest technologies coming out of Facebook that can be shared with the Gazan community.
Your typical week may include one-on-one mentoring to support junior developers from GSG’s Code Academy on their projects; organizing a meetup for local developers on a specific technical topic; scoping a paid project from an international client for a team of developers; leading a workshop on a specific technology; supporting the GSG team with the design of a hackathon; meeting with startups to provide technical mentorship; developing a schedule for a visiting international mentor who can support GSG’s tech community; and more!
The ideal candidate for this role will be equally as passionate about teaching and community-building as he/she is about programming. The below responsibilities are not necessarily meant to be fulfilled by one person. We are looking to interview a wide range of candidates, so even if you feel you are not completely comfortable with all of the below responsibilities and qualifications, we still encourage you apply. We’d love to meet you.
Be Gaza’s Resident Expert in Facebook Technologies:
● Serve as the main point of contact for all Gazan developers who are looking to build their skills in and utilize Facebook technologies by:
○ Holding regular office hours at GSG’s coworking space to work with developers, troubleshooting their problems as they relate to FB technologies
○ Organize meetups and workshops for the developer community in Gaza, coordinating with Facebook DevC Community in Gaza.○ Support with organization of tech-related meetups and events as hackathons by taking lead as technical advisor. This includes setting minimum standards for technical ability required; pre-workshops; mentorship as needed.
● Liaise with our engineering and business partners at Facebook on a regular basis, ensuring that the achievements, challenges, and needs of Gaza’s tech ecosystem are understood and addressed by Facebook’s HQ team, and proposing ways to maximize the impact of the GSG-Facebook partnership.
Gaza Code Academy Graduate Support:
● Serve as an experienced web developer, proficient in agile methodology.
● In coordination with the GSG Code Academy team, support with developing a pipeline of paid work and job placement in Gaza by:
○ Supporting sales and marketing efforts by building the graduates’ portfolio; maintaining website, etc
○ Scoping and architecting upcoming commercial projects alongside graduates of the academy
○ Support code review of projects
○ Project management and technical oversight
● Lead workshops for advanced or continuing education for Code Academy grads, such as workshops in new technologies or ‘quality assurance’ and project management capacity-building
● Recruit local Gaza employers who understand the Gaza Code Academy program and agree to hire developers from our pool of graduates.
● Position GSG as the leading tech hub space in Gaza for the tech community to share knowledge and collaborate on innovative projects by:
○ Building strong relationships with the GSG community and have a strong understanding of the skill-sets available in our community. Propose ways to build niches of technical expertise to meet market demand.
○ Recruiting developers from outside the GSG community to join our community by conducting marketing outreach events and 1:1 follow-up with individuals.
○ Leading and organizing workshops and events on a wide variety of technical topics, based on the needs, interest, and motivations of the local community.
● Assist student and professional developers with code reviews and project management needs.
● Work with startups in our next round of acceleration to improve their tech strategies
● Review code and deliverables of the startups
● Allocate office hours specifically for startups, to troubleshoot their problems.
● Excellent communication, oral and written (English and Arabic)
● Excellent software development skills with excellent understanding of agile/scrum methodologies
● Working knowledge of some of Facebook’s developer libraries (React, GraphQL ec...) and APIs (Messenger, Facebook Login etc…)
● Demonstrated history of community-building or organizing meetups
● Experience and passion for mentoring and teaching others technical topics
● Constantly curious and eager to learn new skills in management, leadership, as well as technology
● A strong network of individual developers and local software companies/tech businesses/organizations in Gaza
● You are humble, a great listener, and open to feedback.
Submit an application online through Apply Now button below
Qualified persons with disability are highly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.