Job Title EXPERT IN INCLUSIVE AND TERRITORIAL PLANNING
Country & Base of posting TUBAS, OCCUPIED PALESTINIAN TERRITORY
Reports to DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR
Creation/Replacement Creation Expected Date Of Arrival 2018 Duration of Mission 30 days
General Information on the Mission
GVC – Gruppo di Volontariato Civile, is a non-governmental, secular, and independent organization, founded in Bologna in 1971. We are active in international development aid projects with complex action strategies: from humanitarian aid to populations suffering from conflicts and natural disasters to reconstruction, hygiene, and food security; from rural development to education, to the protection of women's and children's rights. In over forty years of activity, GVC has operated in all parts of the world, carrying out thousands of projects. We collaborate with public institutions, cultural associations, cooperatives, and Italian and European NGOs, organizing seminars, conferences, exhibits and festivals, laboratories in school and training courses for teachers. We produce educational materials and carry out communication activities on sensitive issues such as differences, human rights, women's issues, sustainable trade, and biodiversity.
GVC’s development strategy in the country
The consolidation of the Palestinian Authorities (PA) institutional infrastructure open to foster democratic participation of civil society, through the improvement of representative processes and the implementation of specific effective tools to promote dialogue. These criteria, together with the empowerment of vulnerable communities and people, should lead any kind of intervention, preparing both decentralized institution and civil society to better advocate for a final recognition of Palestinian statehood.
GVC focuses strategically on 4 main sectors for its development program, namely:
- Local Development and Governance
- Integrate Water Resource Management
- LRRD: Linking Relief, Rehabilitation and Development
- Integrated Protection
Gender mainstream, special attention to vulnerable categories, community-based approach and good governance are cross-cutting issues included in all GVC interventions.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The Expert will work within the framework of the project "Tu.R.B.O. – Tubas Rural Business Opportunities and social innovation",
funded by the Italian Agency for Cooperation and Development (AICS) and implemented by GVC in partnership with Provincia
Autonoma di Bolzano, Legaccop Emilia Romagna, Cooperativa di Comunita’ Melpignano, e Cooperativa LattEmilia, in the area of
Tubas Governorate, occupied Palestinian territory (oPt).
Through a mission in the oPt the Expert in inclusive and territorial planning will work to improve Tubas Governorate's planning
capacities, both in terms of inclusion of different groups and needs of the population, and effectiveness in programming. This will
be based on the analysis of needs and activities foreseen by the project in the targeted communities
The key areas of work and responsibilities under this ToR include extended consultations with national and local stakeholders
and, more specifically, the Expert on Inclusive and territorial planning is asked to fulfill the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Support and guide the development of an Inclusive Planning Strategy for the Governorate of Tubas;
- Conduct a 4-days training on inclusive planning tools;
- Develop and deliver training to project staff and relevant stakeholders on inclusion-related issues, tools and approaches, and
conduct awareness raising initiatives;
- Deliver technical assistance to stakeholders to build capacity around development of inclusive practices and policies;
- Incorporate gender and inclusion issues in all activities, including the analysis of policies and legislation and advocacy;
- Work closely with field and HQ staff communications and technical specialists to develop appropriate content delivery via
various dissemination channels;
- Support the Governorate of Tubas and GVC to develop an action plan out of the existed strategic documents of planning and
multi sectorial plans;
- Develop annual project work plans in collaboration with field staff and contributing inputs to all donors related reporting
- Provide guidance to the Project Manager on inclusion and gender issues across all program areas;
- Conduct gender analysis at project outset and incorporate findings in activity work plan and baseline data for on-going
monitoring and learning purposes;
- In cooperation with the Development Coordinator and Project Manager, select and create custom gender-related indicators
and assist in analyzing outcomes for learning and adapting purposes.
The Expert will be working in cooperation with GVC Staff members to conclude the expected outcomes under this activity.
This activity is based on the application of the principles of inclusion, active participation and responsibility. It will be promoted
applied mechanisms of good governance, putting at the center the dialogue among citizens, authorities and marginal groups.
- Development Coordinator
Works in coordination with
- Head of Operations
- Area Manager
- Project Manager
- General Coordinator of Activities
Tubas, with frequent travels to Ramallah and the West Bank.
Core and Functional Competences
Required knowledge and skills
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International
relations, Project Management, or other development-related fields.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience in related fields with a focus on inclusive territorial planning, or similar.
- Proven experience in inclusive territorial planning, or similar.
- Knowledge of Project Cycle Management.
- Knowledge of main donors’ policy and procedures (in particular AICS).
- Previous work experience with international NGOs will be preferred.
- Knowledge of the Palestinian context.
Required Personal Characteristics
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results.
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including
building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers/ leaders.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive
working relationships with colleagues.
- Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued
- Fluency in written and spoken English, knowledge of Italian and/or Arabic is a plus.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Demonstrates integrity with regards to NGO values and ethical standards.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Computer skills, in particular MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Project.
Interested applicants should send a detailed CV with references in English no later than 26 July 2018 to:
Email - [email protected]