West Bank/Gaza Active Citizenry Activity
Location: Ramallah with travel as needed through West Bank and Gaza
The West Bank/Gaza Active Citizenry Activity (ACA) funded by USAID and implemented by Global Communities is seeking to hire an Environmental Officer. ACA aims to increase citizens’ participation in civic life and support their efforts to advocate for positive changes, foster social and political advancement, and improve overall living conditions and prosperity. ACA will support the civil society sector, Palestinian citizens, media organizations, and other relevant stakeholders to become more active in civic life, decision making and advocacy for citizens’ rights and demands.
We are looking for passionate, dedicated professionals to help us build the world we envision: one of expanded opportunity, where crises give way to resilience and all people thrive.
The Environmental Officer specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Implement the screening checklist systematically to address environmental, social and climate risks to safeguard people’s health, safety and resources and to ensure better and more sustainable activities, and accordingly, prediction of potential impacts and risks and development of appropriate mitigation and monitoring measures to avoid, minimize, mitigate the potential impacts.
- Based on screening’s observations and outcomes, identify mitigation measures, discuss these measures with implementer and report to USAID through an Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP).
- As applicable, assess NGO implementers capacity to implement mitigation measures and accordingly provide them with the necessary technical assistance to ensure full compliance and implementation of the recommendations of the EMMP report.
- Meet with the beneficiaries/partners to discuss mitigating climate impacts as good business practice.
- Monitor implementation and progress made throughout the project implementation period through a regular Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Report (EMMR).
- Prepare regular reports to share with USAID on progress made and the outcome of the monitoring visits using the monitoring template.
- Prepare regular reports on the project’s overall compliance by the end of the program using an agreed upon format for Record of Compliance (ROC ).
- Train CSO partners on full compliance and assist in monitoring and reporting on compliance.
- Integrate the Social-Environmental and climate change requirements in grants activities to maximize social and environmental opportunities and benefits and strengthen social and environmental sustainability through:
- Identifying potential social and environmental risks and their significance.
- Determining the project's activities risk category (Low, moderate or significant); as per the USAID guidelines.
- Determining the level of social and environmental assessment and management required to address potential risks and impacts;
- Identifying and highlighting environmental and social issues that need to be taken into account in supporting the activity and the CSOs;
- Preparing the ground for further reports that may be required to ensure compliance with USAID procedures, and;
- determining if the proposed activity requires a full Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (EA) before its implementation.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Bachelor’s Degree in civil and/or environmental engineering, environmental science, or any related field
- At least two years of relevant experience conducting environmental assessments and preparing mitigation measures
- Good experience in using Environmental Impact assessment tools
- Awareness of the applicable local as well as USAID environmental requirements.
- Excellent knowledge of the local context of the WB and the GS
- Full professional proficiency in spoken and written in both English and Arabic
To apply for the position listed above, please send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you are interested and qualified for this position by email to [email protected] no later Thursday 19 January 2023, indicating the position title and location.
Global Communities positively welcomes and seeks applications from all sections of society. We are committed to a work environment that respects the dignity and worth of everyone and offers equal opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.