Environmental Awareness Technician / GS-02-2023
CESVI is an international NGO registered in Italy, and operates worldwide to support the most vulnerable populations in promoting human rights and achieving their ambitions, for sustainable development. It also believes that the recognition of human rights contributes to the wellbeing of everyone on the planet, a shared home to be safeguarded. CESVI is working in Palestine since 1994 and has developed over the years an expertise in the area of water, sanitation, environment, waste management through the implementation of projects in partnership with relevant actors and active participation in the WASH cluster.
CESVI, in partnership with other NGOs, is implementing the project Greening the future: improve the living conditions of the Gaza community - actions and interventions of environmental sustainability, access to health and inclusive education, in partnership with local and international partners.
CESVI project component aims to improve environmental conditions and the solid waste management system in Beit Lahiya Municipality by:
- Technical support to the Municipality to improve the efficiency of the solid waste management and collection system
- Implement compost production and use at HH level
- Enhance the environmental awareness of the population
CESVI is looking for a dynamic and experienced candidate for the position of Environmental Awareness Technician, with expertise in the environmental and waste sector, who will be responsible for the management and implementation of activities in the field.
Main tasks and duties:
- Overall management and implementation in the field of project activities, ensuring technical quality and standards are considered and applied
- Handle the daily follow up of project activities in the field, track activities progress and provide timely feedback
- Planneed and technical assessments, supervise the design of technical solutions, BoQs and technical specifications for procurements
- Coordinate the distribution/implementation/monitoring of the identified interventions at HH-, institution- and community-level
- Collect relevant data on the field regarding activity implementation and monitoring (e.g., assessments at HH level, questionnaires, technical visits, etc.)
- Define and develop technical and vulnerability selection criteria for beneficiaries; manage the selection process and agreements
- Contribute to drafting and then implement in the field M&E activities, as per project MEAL plan
- Prepare and submit periodical reports on the implementation of assigned duties to the PMU (Project Management Unit). Specific reports could be required for specific activities.
- Participate in drafting work plans and then implement activities in the field accordingly, meeting planned deadlines
- Manage and keep the beneficiaries’ data base updated
- Keep close coordination and deal with CESVI partners, local authorities, community representatives and stakeholders, including arranging meetings to shareand agree on project activities, provide translation support from English to Arabic when necessary
- Ensure the project is implemented in the field in accordance with relevant CESVI technical guidelines, standards and policies
- Ensure that at all times contacts with beneficiaries are conducted in a sensitive and respectful manner
- Anticipate and mitigate risks and trouble-shoot any unforeseen challenges during the project implementation
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Engineering
- 3/7-year experience in Environmental and/or solid waste management interventions in the field
- Previous working experiences in I/LNGOs with similar position
- Knowledge of Palestinian laws on Environment and Waste Management Systems
- Technical knowledge and experiences in environmental and/or waste sector assessment, data analysis, development of communication and awareness plans, at HH-, community- and public institutions- level
- Ability to facilitate meetings and conduct interactive training and environmental awareness activities, good intercultural skills
- Management and handling of complaint feedback mechanism with reference to environment-related aspects
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Teams, Outlook), knowledge of and experience on the use of Kobo toolbox for data collection, GIS for mapping. Knowledge of material flow analysis would be an advantage
- Fluency in written & spoken English and Arabic with technical/narrative reports writing skills
- Valid local driver's license
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to work in a team, under pressure, make decisions, and problem solving
- Self-motivated, flexible, and resilient, able to take initiative and work independently
- Ability to handle multiple assignments & meet deadlines
- Management of and coordination with staff in the field
- Good interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
- Desirable knowledge of the WasteAware methodology
- Desirable knowledge of Composting technologies
The assignment is a full-time post expected to start immediately. Subject to satisfactory performance, the period of employment may be extended until the end of the project.
Please note that it is a project-based post and does not imply continued employment with CESVI after the end of the project period.
All applications shall be in English and include a Cover Letter, CV and contact details of 3 reference persons. Applications not complete and with no clear reference to this specific announcement will not be considered.
Only preselected candidates among the received applications will be admitted to the second phase of the selection process, which will take place in the second week of August.
Send your application (Cover Letter, CV and References) by 04.08.2023 to:
with reference to the position in the subject line (Environmental Awareness Technician / GS-02-2023).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CESVI has a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a child or a vulnerable adult by any of our staff, related persons or partners. CESVI commitment to being a safe organization begins with the staff recruitment process which includes meticulous checks, such as criminal records check or check disclosure of previous convictions, to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented. Safeguarding checks are part of the selection process performance.