General Information on the Mission
We World - GVC ONLUS (from now on WW-GVC) is an Italian NGO born from the merger of the NGO "We World", active in Italy and abroad in the protection of minors and women, and "GVC – Gruppo Volontariato Civile”, operating in over 25 countries around the world with projects of humanitarian aid and development cooperation. The merger between the two forces and the complementarity of experience and skills led to the creation of WW-GVC. In the Palestinian context, WW-GVC maintains the total continuity with the work implemented by GVC since 1992, guaranteeing its experience, historical memory and fieldwork skills.
We collaborate with public institutions, cultural associations, cooperatives, and Italian and European NGOs, organizing seminars, conferences, exhibits and festivals, laboratories in school and training courses for teachers. We produce educational materials and carry out communication activities on sensitive issues such as differences, human rights, women's issues, sustainable trade, and biodiversity.
WW-GVC’s development strategy in the country
WW-GVC is active in the occupied Palestinian territory since 1992. We started our interventions in the health sector by creating the first transfusion health center in the Gaza strip, in operation up to this date. Nowadays WW-GVC works in emergency and development aiming at:
- Increasing the access to and the integrated management of water resources.
- Increasing the protection of vulnerable communities.
- Contributing to local socio-economic development.
The consolidation of the Palestinian Authorities institutional infrastructure open to foster democratic participation of civil society, through the improvement of representative processes and the implementation of specific effective tools to promote dialogue. These criteria, together with the empowerment of vulnerable communities and people, should lead any kind of intervention, preparing both decentralized institution and civil society to better advocate for a final recognition of Palestinian statehood.
WW-GVC focuses strategically on 4 main sectors for its development program, namely:
- Local Development and Governance
- Integrate Water Resource Management
- LRRD: Linking Relief, Rehabilitation and Development
- Integrated Protection
Gender mainstream, special attention to vulnerable categories, community-based approach and good governance are cross-cutting issues included in all WW-GVC interventions.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The Electrical Engineer is responsible for developing preliminary and detailed design based on engineering principles for Solar PV system. She/He will monitor and supervise the daily construction and installation works of solar energy systems to ensure the quality control for the smooth implementation of activities, in order to achieve the desired results within the set timeframe and efficiently, utilizing the resources available. She/He will be also in charge of the activities reporting.
She/He will perform a variety of functions and tasks in collaboration with Senior Field Officer, Technical Coordinator and under supervision of the Project Focal Point.
- Liaise and communicate properly with the targeted NGOs, desalination plants and local authorities, always according to the inputs from the Project Focal Point;
- Communicate permanently with target communities to explain the elements of the programme, risks involved, possibilities, etc
- Provide the first level of conflict resolution and back-stopping in the target communities, identifying bottlenecks or problems at field level, report them and advance possible solution.
- Perform tasks and produce materials respect to the activities’ implementation (e.g. assessments/studies, trainings, scheduling and leading meetings, workshops) and management of monitoring, evaluation, accountability and information management and provide feedback accordingly;
- Conduct pre and post needs/technical assessments, including conducting beneficiaries’ site visits and data filling/elaboration in coordination with the Senior Field Officer and Technical Coordinator;
- Create plans for solar energy system designing, development, monitoring, and evaluation activities;
- Prepare and/or review bills of quantities, cost estimates for quantities and materials, specifications, interim and final payment requests, etc;
- Develop design specifications and functional requirements for solar energy systems or components;
- Plan and implement baseline surveys, monitoring and evaluation exercises and impact assessment when needed; including methods, good practices, experiences and results;
- Submit regular (weekly and monthly) work plans and reports on activities progress in consultation with the Senior Field Officer and Technical Coordinator, including achievement of project indicators;
- Supervise installation of the solar energy systems, including system components, and ensure that all materials/equipment used and works performed are as per specifications;
- Provide technical direction to the contractors during installation, start-up, testing, system commissioning or performance monitoring;
- Create checklists for review or inspection of completed solar installation projects;
- Prepare and/or review engineering deliverables (e.g., electrical diagrams and drawings, technical specifications, analysis and reports) in compliance with applicable regulations, standards, corporate procedures and sound engineering practices;
- Maintain up-to-date site records and measurements;
- Check that the technical designs and shop drawings according to required project standards;
- Ensure accuracy, completeness and quality of technical information and project documentation in accordance with QA/QC procedures;
- Supervise and ensure quality control and health and safety matters on site in collaboration with the contractor;
- Monitor the usage of the solar units after full installation and operation;
- Promptly communicate to the Project Focal Point, in collaboration with the Senior Field Officer, any information or problem potentially affecting the works and staff security;
- Perform any other additional duty on request of his/her supervisor.
- Progress Activities Report
- BoQ and Specifications
- Minutes of meetings
- Individual Action Plan
- Hand over and work completion documents
- Timely deliverables according to Individual Action Plans
- The Electrical Engineer reports periodically and according to agreed schedule to the Project Focal Point.
- The Electrical Engineer is firstly accountable to Project Focal Point and ultimately to the Area Manager.
Works in coordination with
- Senior Field Officer
- Health Public Expert (Project Focal Point)
- Programmes Officer (Project Focal Point)
- Technical Coordinator
Gaza City with field activities all across Gaza Strip.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Core and Functional Competences
Required knowledge and skills
- Minimum university degree in electrical engineering or relevant subject.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in supervising of solar (clean) energy systems and Solar PV design.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with Electrical Engineering and/or work related to Solar PV or any other Renewable Energy Construction projects.
- Develop expertise with modules, racking, inverters and the drivers associated for a proper design of solar PV projects.
- Familiarity with creating engineered solar PV site plans and single line drawings (DC and AC systems).
- Familiarity with the IEC Electrical Codes
- Previous experience with the international and local NGOs.
- Computer skills, in particular AutoCAD, PVsyst, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project.
- Good in reading, writing and speaking in English and Arabic.
Required Personal Characteristics
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Accuracy and detail orientation
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations and beneficiaries, national authorities.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the NGO values and ethical standards.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability, with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
Interested candidates should submit their CV along with a cover letter, both in English to:
Application deadline: 12.12.2019