Driver/ Logistic Assistance (National Position)
Terms of Reference
Jericho, West Bank, Palestinian Territories
Position: Driver - Logistic Assistant
Location: Jericho - Palestine
Direct supervisor: Project Manager/General Coordinator/ Administrative & Financial Manager Category: Logistics Category (4) Level (1).
Contract duration: 1 year – 3 months’ probation
Full time: 42.5 hours per week
Starting Date: ASAP
There are four million Palestinians living in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt) (1.5 m in Gaza and 2.5 m in the West Bank) of which 49 per cent are below the age of 181. The daily life of children is framed within the context of the Israeli occupation; the conflicts and military operations associated with occupation, the blockade of Gaza (since June 2007), stringent access and movement restrictions, and the existence and further construction of the separation barrier in the West Bank. This context creates vulnerabilities and inequities in the fulfilment of rights that are more pronounced in Gaza, Area C, Seam Zones, Hebron old city and East Jerusalem. While threats to life, security, and human dignity are daily realities throughout oPt in general, inequities are observed in those population groups that directly experience violence related to the occupation and the settlements and also, to a lesser extent, the Palestinian inter-factional divide. Children (girls and boys) are routinely affected by injury, displacement, disability, psychological distress and death.
Medicos del Mundo (MDM) Spain is present in Palestine since late 2006. During these years, the principal areas of intervention have been mental health and its integration into primary health care, carrying out specific actions to support the public health system in response to urgent or emergency phases caused by the blockade suffered in Gaza. Currently, MdM Spain is executing projects in the West Bank and Gaza.
- Manage the movements and the provision of reliable and secure driving services. Assist in all procurement & logistic aspects of MDM Spain activities and offices in oPT.
Tasks and responsibilities:
Procurement, Supply, Stock and Visibility:
- Analyze the local market and keep an updated database of local suppliers according to the needs and eligibility criteria of MdM-S (quality, price, service, and ethics).
- Prepare price list of the common supplies used regularly and update it every 6 months.
- Assist the PM and administrator to plan purchase according to the Jericho base needs. Obtain quotations, prepare purchase orders, and negotiate price lists and contracts with suppliers according to MdM-S procedures.
- Assist the administrator to make sure all payments are done timely without any delay. Pay the suppliers making sure all needed justifications are provided in accordance with the financial procedures of MdM-S. Obtain VAT exemptions to procurement in accordance with MdM-S procedures.
- Assist PM and Administrator in filling the annual procurement plan and update it on a monthly base if needed.
- Update inventory regularly and sent to the Base Administrator and the Project Manager.
- Monitor stocks, ensure reception and proper storage, consumption/distribution and follow up on the expiry of any perishable item in stock (including rotating the food and refilling consumables in the emergency boxes kept in the office/guesthouse).
- Make sure that all safety equipment is available and functioning in all MdM-S premises such as fire extinguishers or satellite phones.
- Ensure the proper use of visibility materials at the MdM-S base of Jericho & Jerusalem and its vehicles.
- Assist in send documentation via post office and/or carrier services when needed to HQ.
- Assist the Admin in filling, scan and archiving in accordance to MdM-S Procedures.
Equipment and premises
- Oversee the maintenance of MdM-S equipment and properties (office, guesthouse, vehicles, computers, printers, communication tools, etc).
- Train MdM-S personnel on the use of equipment entrusted to them and the equipment available in the office (printers, copier machine etc).
- Ensure all MdM-S property has an identification sticker according with MdM-S procedures.
- Contact suppliers for the maintenance of MdM-S equipment when needed, such as IT.
- Ensure a proper data backup is done regularly for all MdM-S computers.
- Provide equipment (mobile phones) for the communication among MdM-S staff and other visitors and ensure they all have access to MdM-S premises in Jericho & Jerusalem.
- File and conserve documents of the logistic department (guidelines, purchase files, donation certificates, contracts with suppliers, manuals of instructions of MdM-S equipment, reports…).
- Monitor the respect of the rules related to the use of vehicles.
- Monitor vehicle maintenance and follow-up.
- Support the scheduling of the movements of the team to streamline the use of vehicles.
- Assist in transportation arrangements through Taxis Companies when needed and reconcile the movements with the company at the end of each month.
- Communicate with other MdM-S bases and organize back to back movements when needed.
- Monitor the expiration date of the vehicles rental contracts and report to administrator.
- Follow up consumption of all vehicles and report it on a monthly base to administrator.
- Follow up the fuel payment to the Gas station monthly at the end of each month along with administrator.
- Make sure that all MdM-S vehicles are equipped with functional needed safety equipment such as first aid kits, fire extinguishers and other equipment.
- Assist in organizing the logistic components of the program activities and events such as training sessions, workshops and field visits.
- Keep track of movements of the staff through update movement board on weekly bases and ensuring the suitable flexibilities to facilitate the movements.
- In collaboration with the Administrator, ensure proper reception and storage of any medical and non-medical supplies eventually purchased and obtain proper consumption follow up.
- Communicate with MdM-S partners on the logistics related to the implemented projects in order to analyse the logistics needs and demands.
- Update the map of target communities on a monthly basis and send it to the Project Manager.
- Provide the information (security conditions, security access, purchasing procedures, maps…) and support the team during the identification and formulation of project proposals.
- Propose improvements of the logistics procedures when relevant.
- Ensure a proper use of vehicle and respect of the traffic law & MdM-S Policies.
- Transport safely MdM-S staff to field locations, meetings or other activities that the PM and/or General Coordinator authorize, throughout the West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza Strip & Airport.
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repair, changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc…
- Ensure availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs books, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
- Ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Check the situation of the roads before any staff movement.
- Contribute to the mission security context and analysis report.
- Keep informed and send to MdM-S team on any incident or security alert.
The driver - logistician assistant will report to the Base Administrator, the Project Manager and the General Coordinator. The report shall be send no later than the 10th of each month and shall include:
- Monthly procurement supply plan.
- Update supplier list.
- Monthly Vehicles fleet and consumption.
- Monthly equipment list.
- Update list of all taxis used during the months indicating the reason and the user names.
- List of all ongoing contracts with the duration and alert on expiry one month before the date.
- Monthly consumption of programs materials, supplies and consumables stock.
- Translate verbally from Arabic to English and English to Arabic when necessary.
- Search information in terms of logistics and environmental conditions when requested by the Project Manager or the General Coordinator.
- Attend meetings with projects partners upon the request of the Project Manager or General Coordinator.
- To attend team meetings and to give qualitative input.
- To maintain good professional relationships with national and international partners.
- To contribute to the update of emergency plans with the MdM-S team.
- Perform other additional duties on request of the Project Manager/General Coordinator/Administrator.
This job description can be modified at any time according to changes in MdM-S activities or in the context with prior notice and agreement between the two parties. On demand of the direct supervisor, other tasks might be added to the present list.
The employee shall respect MdM-S principles and regulations and is expected to be available anytime in order to answer to an emergency situation and be flexible and available beyond normal working hours if requested.
- To respect MdM-S ethics, principles and regulations as well as the dignity of the beneficiaries.
- To contribute to the achievement of the MdM-S policy in terms of equity and gender equality and protection of the human rights.
- Strict compliance with the safety protocols established by Médicos del Mundo.
- To respect each team member’s position and hierarchical links.
- To avoid any kind of violent behaviours and aggressiveness at the workplace, it doesn´t matter if it is referred to a colleague or an object.
- To work as part of a team and participate in different activities.
- Show a positive attitude and motivation at work.
- Willingness to improve own knowledge and skills by participating in capacity building activities.
- Ability to accept feedback and willingness to improve own capacities.
- Contribute to generate a positive work environment.
- Respect and contribute to the achievement of MdM-S schedules.
- To contribute to the cleanness and tidiness of the workplace.
- To report any breach of the MdM-S Code of Conduct or this behavior regulation to the PM or the General Coordinator.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Minimum 3 years driving experience with good references
- Arabic, good level of spoken English & Hebrew is an asset.
- Experience with International NGOs is preferred.
- Knowledge of mechanics is an advantage
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines under pressure, and to complete work with high quality and attention to detail.
- Flexibility and capacity to work under pressure.
- Good knowledge of windows environment. Microsoft office user & Google Maps is an asset.
- Commitment towards principles and ethics of humanitarian aid and gender equality, including compliance with MdM Spain standards and principles.
- Willing to learn and improve.
- To have own car is a plus
- Ability to drive in Jerusalem.
- Valid driving license with a good driving record.
Interested candidates are invited to send a cover letter, CV, and three references (in English) no later than 31st March 2019 to: [email protected]
Indicate the position (Driver / Logistic Assistant) in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
DUE TO THE URGENT NEED OF THE POSITION, SELECTION PROCESS WILL BE DONE UPON RECEIVAL OF CV’S