Art of Dialogue and Facilitation of Civic Leadership
“Dynamic Futures Programme”
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Project Title Dynamic Futures Programme – Phase II
Title of consultancy service Dialogue and Facilitation Trainer
Al Nayzak for Supportive Education and Scientific Innovation in partnership with UNDP/PAPP is working on the implementation of the Leadership Development Component of Al Fakhoora Dynamic Futures Programme.
Al Nayzak is Palestinian non-profit, non- partisan, Jerusalemite and unique initiative that looks for young talents in science, technology, engineering, and math(STEM), and plants an ambitious vision in the hearts of our community:“To develop, root, and reinforce a new culture that embraces science, and to announce this culture among Palestinian youth so that their competence in productive applied sciences could provide them with better economic opportunities that would lead to their future prosperity.”
Al Nayzak’s approach is to make scientific-thinking skills become an inherent part of the lives of Palestinian people. In order to do this, it applies empirical tools to help individuals acquire thinking skills and relate them to genuine savoir-faire and technology. In this way they become capable of facing challenges in their journey to achieve excellence and helping develop their environment and build a modern Palestinian society.
UNDP’s Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People (PAPP) is the leading development agency working together with the Palestinian people to fulfill their vision of a peaceful, sustainable, and equitable society by promoting democratic governance, human development, human security, and livelihoods. UNDP/PAPP has been entrusted with generous donation from “Education Above All” – AlFakhoora to support underserved youth in the Gaza Strip.
Al Fakhoora Dynamic Futures programme vision is, ‘unlocking a new generation of marginalized youth to become educated, professionally skilled and inspirational leaders of the future who can guide their families and communities toward cohesion and prosperity. The programme, which targets Palestinian postsecondary students of underserved backgrounds, avails opportunities for them to actualize their potential by overcoming socioeconomic, political and cultural limitations and enable them to become productive members in the society.
Al-Fakhoora Dynamic Futures Scholarship and Empowerment programme is multi-faceted, with four main inter-related component all working towards the overall vision;
- Quality Education: Providing access to quality education, through domestic scholarships and international postgraduate scholarships.
- Student Affairs: Providing all students with access to comprehensive support services that contribute to their academic success and wellbeing through monitoring, mentoring, and psychosocial support.
- Economic Empowerment: Providing a bridge between educational opportunities and professional success through career preparation and counseling, internships, networking, and opportunities for entrepreneurship and empowerment projects. This is intended to produce graduates in fields that will contribute to the economic reconstruction of their home countries.
- Leadership Development: A comprehensive, multi-stage training programme to empower students to become motivated civic leaders, with the ability to engage productively in the rebuilding of their societies and to provide leadership within and outside of their own communities.
Al Fakhoora selects students who are willing and able to maximize on the opportunities provided by the programme, fostering the knowledge and skills to become self-advocates, inspirational civic leaders and positive global citizens. They are individuals who possess the right attitude and mindset to further the opportunity provided to them both individually and for their local communities.
Through the unique civic leadership programme we are essentially trying to promote positive and ethical behavior, which is the essence of being an inspirational civic leader and positive global citizen. The programme is designed to ensure that students will not just be recipients of support but will also have an opportunity to then provide further support to others. The targeted students have already received a course of the Foundation of skills and qualities of civic leadership and now they move to the next step which is the advanced one. Students are expected to excel the skills and competencies related to Art of Dialogue and Facilitation through theoretical and actualization activities.
Art of Dialogue and Facilitation
This course provides students with effective skills in meaningful dialogue and discussions such as facilitation, storytelling, etc. Students will learn the art of advanced communication skills in various types of scenarios: academic, social, emotional, traumatic, and stressful. The student will learn to be a nonpartisan facilitator and manage and hold difficult conversations, promoting a better understanding between different individuals: social, cultural, political, ethnicity and religious.
630 students are expected to receive the training during the Summer of 2018. Students are expected to receive 24 in-class training hours (Theoretical) to be equipped for actualizing the skills and competencies in another 24 hours (Actualizing the skills).
OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The main objective of the trainer is to receive a training of trainer on the developed curriculum and then deliver 48 training hours per group of students. Groups are expected to be between 15 to 20 students each.
The trainer should commit to the lesson plan activities, be aware of the core objectives of the training, and capable to link the Art of Dialogue and Facilitation skills to the core concept of Civic Leadership. From the belief of the programme that gaining a skill or competence can’t be assured without using it; the trainer must be capable to create the balance between the theoretical & actualization components of the training. More details of the assignment and expectations are provided in the (Scope of Work) section.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The trainer is expected to implement the designed Curriculum of " the Art of Dialogue and Facilitation" .The scope of work of the trainer is;
- To attend the assessment TOT session.
- To complete the 48 training hours for a group of 15-20 students as per the agreed lesson plan
- To ensure covering all the theoretical & actualization components of the training.
- To commit to the material, and to the time frame of the work.
- To commit to the methodology of the training & curriculum.
- To cooperate with the UNDP and Al Nayzak team to guarantee the best outcomes.
- To make sure to handle all the required documents such as, Students performance sheets …etc.
- To support the programme in any necessary meetings, documents or sessions.
- To provide a full detailed report of the conducted training (theoretical and practical)
The trainer is expected to be flexible to work closely with UNDP/PAPP and Al Nayzak to ensure that the training follows Al Fakhoora’s methodology of teaching civic leadership effectively and to ensure the outcomes and indicators are effectively measured and met.
WHAT TO SUBMIT?
- Updated CV, that includes the relevant experience.
- BIO that reflects the accurate relevant training course that the trainer gave.
- Letter of Interest.
- Initial shortlisting will be done based on the announced criteria (CV, bio and letter of interest)
- Shortlisted trainers will be attending a training of trainer session of the material intended to be used for the training. This is for final evaluation and selection of trainers as per the announced criteria under the Training of Trainers section (this is to replace the interview)
- Finalists will be informed
Note: the financial offer will be negotiated with the selected trainers therefore, there is no need to share a financial offer
EVALUATION CRITERIA (out of 100)
RESPOSIBILITES OF Al Nayzak:
AL Nayzak will make available to the trainer all related information to ensure quality of implementation. This includes;
- Background of the implemented activities
- Review and approve the training material before implementation
- Students information
- Meeting logistics and hospitality.
- Deliver the assigned training hours (48 training hours per group or as to be agreed)
- Conduct pre- and post- tests for participants
- Evaluate the participants as per the Student Performance Evaluation
- Provide full reports of the conducted actualization activities as per the agreed format
- Provide full report that summarizes the training (soft and hard copies). This includes analysis of the collected data.
Note: all deliverables should be shared in English
REQUIREMENT OF EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Who we are looking for?
Are you passionate about working with youth and promoting civic leadership within your community?
Do you possess the following attributes on a personal and professional level;
- Positive ‘pay it forward’ behavior & attitude
- Desire, willingness and drive to actively seek out opportunities;
- The willingness to motivate, inspire and drive people towards new ideas and directions;
- Innovative attitude to alleviate hardship within your community and others.
Education and qualifications
Bachelor degree human resources, business administration, psychology, leadership, or any other related fields. Master is a bonus
- Minimum of five-year experience in relevant training domains.
- Proven 2-years experience in civic Leadership training.
- Proven 2- years experience in dialogue & Facilitation training.
- Proven 3- years experience in youth sector & civic engagement (practical).
- Proven experience in Social Emotional Learning, 7 survival Skills, or modern humanitarian science methodologies.
Please ensure that the CVs would reflect the required experience
Essential skills and attributes
Desirable skills and attributes
- Being PASSIONATE about the training topics and outcomes.
- Excellent active listening skills
- Excellent facilitation and eliciting skills
- Experience of delivering workshops to various audiences
- Innovative in motivating youth
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills in both Arabic and English
- Excellent networking skills and ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Flexibility & Agility in dealing with variety in trainees, topics, activities and opinions.
- Adaptability, flexibility and ability to multi task and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively solve problems and think laterally and creatively
- Ability to work collaboratively with other members of Al Fakhoora team.
- Ability to commit to the effective and efficient implementation of the training.
- Previous dialogue training experience.
- Experience of working with marginalized youth or vulnerable populations.
- Creativity & Innovation.
- Critical Thinking approach
DEADLINE OF SUBMISSION
All required documents should be submitted by 20/6/2018 @ 11:59 PM via AlNayzak’s website www.alnayzak.org/jobs