Action Against Hunger (AAH) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-political, non-denominational and non-profit making organization working in the Palestinian Territory since 2002.
Action Against Hunger is recruiting for its Gaza office a
Deputy Head of Base
For 6 months with a possibility of extension
- Ensure a coherent, relevant and innovative sectoral strategy for Gaza Base is in place.
- Support the strategic and technical positioning of Action Against Hunger in Gaza Strip, inter alia through external representation in Clusters, technical fora and technical Ministries.
- Ensure new and relevant proposals of quality are being submitted to identified donors
- Support program technical compliance and reporting, ensuring adherence with AAH and donor regulations.
- Line manage MEAL and technical program managers and provide support as relevant.
Objective 1: Support Program Implementation (MP2)
- Oversee the implementation of AAH programs in Gaza Strip to ensure the timeliness, effectiveness and quality of activities; provide needed supervision and guidance to the two managers under his/her supervision.
- Ensure his/her team properly design and adapt activities to the context, needs and quality standards.
- Ensure his/her team develops and uses coherent project management tools including workplans, budget follow up, SOPs, beneficiary databases and selection criteria etc.
- Ensure optimal communication and information flow between program and MEAL teams. Support the HoB in establishing and optimizing coordination mechanisms between program and support teams.
- Ensure overall quality control of project management and supports adherence with donor regulations.
- In coordination with Capital Advocacy Coordinator and HoB, supports advocacy initiatives and communication activities.
- In close collaboration with Gaza MEAL Manager and Capital MEAL coordinator, ensures project monitoring, evaluation and learning activities are relevant and delivered in a timely manner.
Objective 2: Lead Strategic & Technical Development
- Working closely with Program Managers and Capital Technical Coordinators, supports the development of Base strategies for FSL and WASH Sectors.
- Support the HoB and organization in following and understanding programmatic approaches of other actors in the area (national and international)
- Support the identification and monitoring of implementing partners.
- Propose and promote the use of and/or development of new and innovative technical approaches; identify risks and opportunities.
- Seek to improve the organization’s technical expertise within the mission as well as strengthening the relevance and impact of AAH programming.
- Supports technical assessments and with inputs the development of ToRs for studies and technical consultancies.
- In close collaboration with the DCD and Base Program Managers, supports the submission of high-quality funding proposals.
- Actively promote analytical processes within the Base at all levels of the FSL and WASH teams.
- Capitalize and systematize innovative experiences contributing to the technical development of AAH.
- Seek new and innovative ways for an integrated FSL/WASH, mainstreaming gender, protection and climate change components.
Objective 3: Team Management and Capacity Building:
- Active and effective line management of MEAL Manager and two Program Managers for WASH and FSL ..
- Assess technical capacities of direct reports and identifies training opportunities. Supports with mentoring and capacity building as relevant.
- Create and maintain a team dynamic that fosters collaboration, learning and team spirit
- Make recommendations to the HoB regarding the structure of the program teams, leads recruitments of direct reports, including onboarding, annual appraisals and objectives setting.
- Fill the gap in case of staff turnover.
Objective 4: External Representation
- Support HoB in external (technical) representation and coordination in his/her area of expertise.
- Ensure his/her team actively attend Cluster/Sector meetings including the Food Security, WASH, CwC, etc. or attend directly in case of need.
- Ensure AAH contributes substantially to the Cluster and Sector work to prepare the development and review of the annual HNO and HRP documents and leads the submission of relevant proposals at a Base level.
- Participate as per need in representing AAH towards donors in support to the HoB and/or CD/DCD..
- Participate or support his/her team in the representation of AAH before technical ministries, including but not limited to the Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Labour, and Palestinian Water authority when relevant.
- Supports the implementation of AAH international localization strategy.
Objective 5: Compliance and reporting
- Support donor narrative reporting (led by PM/Head of Project and Grant Manager) as relevant ensuring inputs provided by Program Technical Teams and MEAL are relevant, accurate and of high quality.
- Supports digital transformation as relevant, ensuring archiving is done by program teams promptly and according to established SOPs.
- Supports the HoB and MEAL Manager in the implementation of Feedback and Complaints Mechanism (FCM) and ensures that lessons learned are used to improve program technical quality.
- Supports the adherence to donor regulations and ensures that program teams receive relevant support by the Capital or support departments as relevant.
- Supports the HoB in the overall management of Gaza office.
- Acts as officer in charge when the HoB is out of office.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Minimum a bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., social sciences, economics, international development or any related field).
- At least 5 years of professional experience in design and management of emergency and development programs and in implementing emergency and development interventions (principles, standards, and coordination), monitoring and evaluation of projects, and grants management.
- At least 3 years of experience in staff management, preferably of middle size interdisciplinary and multicultural teams and inleading technical assessments, project design and proposal writing, including budget development and follow up.
- Solid knowledge and experience of Project Cycle Management with experience in project implementation and monitoring and developing emergency and development programs and interventions.
- Proven knowledge and experience in proposal and report writing (experience with institutional donors, e.g., ECHO, GAC, OCHA, AECID, UNICEF, EU, is highly desirable) and in coordinating and advocating with international NGOs, local NGOs, clusters, authorities and donors regarding projects implementation and strategic planning.
- Strong reporting and proposal writing skills are required.
- Experience and/or technical knowledge of AAH sectors of intervention (WASH, FSL, MEAL and Advocacy) and in ensuring gender and protection components is mainstreamed in humanitarian programming.
- Knowledge of HNO-HRP process and humanitarian transformative approach and environment and climate change is desirable.
- Experience with directly managing or coordinating MEAL activities is highly desired.
- Good knowledge of institutional donors’ compliance.
- Knowledge of Gaza humanitarian context is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of the related national and international technical standards.
- Excellent working knowledge of English is required. Arabic is an asset.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and email/internet software.
133,628 ILS gross/ year divided in 12 payments. In addition, Action Against Hunger covers food and transportation allowances for a fully worked month.
Action Against Hunger is an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply for this position
Action Against Hunger has commitment to protect all persons we come into contact with through our work, including children and At-Risk adults. Action Against Hunger has ZERO TOLERANCE towards all forms of harm and abuse, including sexual abuse and sexual exploitation. We take concerns and complaints relating to Safeguarding issues involving our Staff, Associated Personnel, Partners and Suppliers very seriously and will take action to vigorously investigate and manage any violations or alleged violations of our policies.
We will only consider the candidacies received by our online service. Please click in the following link to access to the service:
Applications will be accepted up Thursday, 24th November 2022.
Only those candidates pre-selected for a test and an interview will be contacted.