Gaza Sky Geeks (GSG) is Gaza’s leading co-working space, tech education hub, and startup accelerator, run by Mercy Corps, a nonprofit international relief and development organization with programs in the occupied Palestinian territories since the 1980s. Mercy Corps founded GSG in partnership with Google.org in 2011. We bring together online freelancers, outsourcers, and startup founders together under one roof to share ideas, best practices, code, and build brighter futures through the power of the internet. Gaza Sky Geeks’ overarching goal is to build an internationally competitive technology ecosystem in Gaza through online freelancing, outsourcing, and startups.
As a part of this, GSG is committed to ongoing learning and improvement of our activities. This is especially important as we are in the process of growing and expanding.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The world of technology moves quickly and we need to make sure that our programs meet the local needs along with the global marketplace. Through Mercy Corps, Gaza Sky Geeks will hire a Data and Learning Analyst. They will be responsible for helping GSG to continuously learn and improve our programs and ensure we exceed our success metrics. This means going beyond what the data says on the surface to really look at the impact of our activities on the youth who are engaged. We are looking for someone who is willing to challenge the status quo to help us ensure we are making a positive impact.
The Data Ninja based in Ramallah and will be required to travel to all of the program locations. A significant amount of time will be spent in Gaza, as this is where the majority of staff and program activities are located.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS FOR DATA NINJA:
- Embrace the spirit of ongoing learning and build this in others
- Ensure data collection is efficient, effective, and on-time
- Keep our data safe, secure, organized and accessible
- Give program leads and senior management the tools, insights and knowledge to make the right decisions
- Help manage the donor reporting process
- Develop and improve our data science capabilities through the tools, visualizations and systems we implement
- Analyze relevant business metrics to determine cost efficiency of activities
- Interview program participants and analyze survey, attendance and other data to find areas for improvement in activities
- Conduct spot checks on data to confirm validity
- Continually and proactively assess the data collection tools and methodologies to ensure they will meet program and donor needs
- Work with program teams to find ways to automate repeated MEL tasks
- Work with GSG and Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Leadership to set the learning agenda
- Any other duties as assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: N/A
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Development and Programs Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: GSG team, MEL Team,
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- University degree in business administration, computer science, information and communications technology, or similar
- At least three years proven experience in data collection and analysis
- Experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection
- Excellent Excel and Google Sheets skills
- Experience with SQL a plus
- Excellent writing skills in English and Arabic
- Proficiency in MS Office, Slack, Google products (Drive, Docs), and Salesforce. GSG does not use email internally. We use Slack.
- Willingness to travel extensively throughout the West Bank and Gaza
- Willingness to work outside of normal business hours as required, especially evenings and weekends when program activities dictate
- Ability to work in a flat, fast paced environment with others who are passionate about supporting Palestine’s technology ecosystem
- Comfort with uncertainty and change—GSG is a small program but growing rapidly. Just like our program, we seek staff who are adaptable and pitch in on what needs to be done-- even if not a part of one’s regular job description.
- Strong listening abilities to understand the needs of GSG’s tech community
- Superb attention to detail and ability to produce error free work
- Positive attitude, passion for your work, and high energy levels
- Proactive, get-stuff-done mentality that always prioritizes outcomes, not just inputs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal, conflict resolution and negotiation skills;
- Excellent time and organizational management skills;
- Excellent ability to work under pressure and carry out multiple tasks simultaneously.
Qualified persons with disability are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a one-page cover letter and their CV by e-mail to
[email protected] no later than Thursday, 21 June 2018
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please indicate in the email subject; Data and Learning Analyst.
No application will be accepted if the email subject is not mentioned in the email subject line.
Please apply separate application for each position you are interested in.