UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP’s Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People (PAPP) was established through a resolution adopted by the UN General Assembly on 20 December 1978, calling upon UNDP “to improve the economic and social conditions of the Palestinian people”. In partnership with Palestinian institutions, civil society, communities and donors, UNDP’s goal is to empower the Palestinian People to establish a viable State that is able to realize the right to development for its people and support their socio-economic resilience. Since its establishment, UNDP/PAPP has delivered over US$ 1.8 billion in development assistance to the Palestinian People.
UNDP’s mission as part of the UN system is to achieve sustainable development and fight poverty wherever it is greatest. This requires the very best of us, world-class collaboration, innovative thinking, resilient-based strategies, and continuous learning. UNDP’s competitive advantage as a development partner of choice comes from having the trust of developing countries, owing to our impartial character, transparency, and longstanding presence and commitment to the poorest and most vulnerable. We offer opportunities to make a lasting difference to the more than 170 countries where we commit our support and expertise.
Under the rubric of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and aligned with national priorities, UNDP/PAPP focuses its multisectoral interventions on three major thematic areas that are powered by digitalization and innovation: i) accountable and responsive governance and service delivery; ii) inclusive economic development; and iii) sustainable use of natural resources and renewable energy, targeting the most vulnerable of Palestinian areas, including Gaza, East Jerusalem, and Area C of the West Bank. The Transformative Resilience approach also provides the overarching umbrella for UNDP/PAPP’s support to Palestinian institutions, communities, and households, including in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The sensitive political environment within which UNDP/PAPP operates and the complexity and uniqueness of its operations renders it necessary that its communication, media relations and outreach efforts be handled with a high level of strategic orientation and political acumen.
Under the direct supervision of the Communications Analyst, and in matrix with the Head of the UNDP Gaza Office, the Communications Associate will support the implementation of the communications strategy linked to the programme priorities to increase the standing and awareness of UNDP/PAPP with its partners, the media and public, and help position the Office in key development markets as a leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business opportunities. The Communications Associate, based in Gaza, promotes a client-oriented approach in UNDP and works in close collaboration with Programme and Operations staff, as well as the Business Solutions Service Centre, and UN Communications Group as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Communications Associate will undertake the following:
- Support the development and implementation of internal and external communications strategy, with specific focus on Gaza
- Support the design and maintenance of the UNDP website, Intranet, online databases, and web-based knowledge management platforms
- Support the implementation of UNDP/PAPP publications policy, and the elaboration and implementation of the CO publications plan
- Facilitate knowledge building, management, and sharing
Supports the development and implementation of internal and external communications strategy:
- Contribute to the development of a communication strategy for UNDP / PAPP.
- Support advocacy and communication activities and initiatives in Gaza, in line with the communications strategy and under the direction of the Communications Specialist.
- Support the inclusion of communications components in programme/project design.
- Provide technical assistance to Gaza Office staff on advocacy and communication activities.
- Draft and translate articles, press releases, speeches/talking points for the Head of Gaza Office, as well as programme communication materials, in coordination with the Communications Specialist.
- Support the Gaza office in the preparation of reports, proposals, and other documentation, including English language editing if necessary, responding to internal and external requests for information.
- Support the development and preparation of materials for marketing and awareness raising purposes.
- Support the organization and implementation of joint UN campaigns in Gaza, including marking UN Days.
- Effectively liaise with local media, develop and maintain a network of national media contacts, communications contacts within UNDP/UN, as well as with the international media partners in coordination with the Communication Specialist.
- Monitor local media coverage of UNDP events and activities and provide support to manage reputational risks.
Supports the design and maintenance of the UNDP /PAPP website, Intranet, online databases, and web-based knowledge management platforms:
- Provide information on regular basis to the Communications Specialist in order to facilitate the updating of the UNDP/PAPP website and intranet, as well as knowledge management platforms.
- Review and identify reference materials, maintain internal information database and photo library.
- Conduct online research to identify the most appropriate websites and blogs and establish relationships with key bloggers.
- Support the use of social media and drafting of content, including online interviews / discussions.
Supports the implementation of UNDP/PAPP publications policy and the elaboration and implementation of the CO publications plan:
- Provide inputs, support content development and coordination of production and dissemination of press releases, publications, articles and sharing of knowledge and successes.
- Support the identification of and draft storylines for publications and articles contributing to debates on key development issues.
- Work with printers and other suppliers, in coordination with the procurement unit, on production of publications and audio-visual materials.
- Support publications dissemination, including on online platforms.
Facilitates knowledge building, management, and sharing:
- Regularly collect and compile project-specific information including Fact Sheets.
- Support the identification and documentation of good practices and lessons learned from UNDP projects.
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
- Perform other duties within your functional profile as assigned and deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the office.
Achieve Results: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Business Management - Communications:
Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
Business Management - Customer Satisfaction/Client Management:
Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs.
Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy.
Look for ways to add value beyond clients' immediate requests.
Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns
Business Management - Digital Awareness and Literacy:
Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
Business Development- Knowledge Generation:
Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
External Relations and Advocacy - Public Relations:
Ability to build and maintain an overall positive public image for the organization, its mandate and its brand, while ensuring that individual campaigns and other communications and advocacy initiatives are supported in reaching the public
External Relations and Advocacy - Media Relations:
Ability to develop media relations across all aspects of media work including relationships with media and preparing media materials such as messages
External Relations and Advocacy - Photo Production:
Ability to create, edit, organize and coordinate photographic material.