Chief of Party, Positive Youth Engagement Program, West Bank and Gaza
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION & JOB PURPOSE
The Chief of Party (COP) will provide strategic guidance and leadership for an anticipated USAID-funded, multi-year program focusing on identifying and developing creative approaches for engaging marginalized and vulnerable youth (ages 14-30) in the West Bank and Gaza to reduce pathways to fragility. The COP will be responsible for overseeing all program activities in a timely, high quality manner. This will likely include coordinating technical, legal and professional capacity building assistance to Youth Serving Institutions (YSIs) and beneficiaries; ensuring proper oversight of IYF personnel, financial management and administration; and coordinating with other stakeholders in the region to ensure that IYF leverages effective resources in implementing the project initiatives. S/he will also be responsible for establishing strong local and international partnerships and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives and serve as the daily liaison with USAID and other key stakeholders. The COP will be a qualified expatriate or local candidate based in the West Bank and be responsible for overseeing overall program implementation on a full-time basis. S/he will likely directly supervise a Manager for Sub-Grant Administration, a Monitoring and Evaluation Manager, multiple Senior Technical Advisors, and the Finance and Administration Manager. Hiring for this position will be contingent upon IYF securing funding from USAID for this activity and USAID’s approval of the candidate for this position.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & SPECIFIC DUTIES
- Provide overall strategic management of the program and oversight of staff and partners responsible for design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation, ensuring program is implemented in accordance with stated program goals and objectives.
- Develop the program’s overarching vision and work-plan in collaboration with USAID, IYF/Baltimore staff, and key Palestinian stakeholders, including YSIs and young people.
- Oversee the recruitment of key staff and personnel in accordance with USAID and IYF procedures and regulations.
- Oversee annual implementation planning consistent with project goals and objectives.
- Ensure fiscal integrity, quality and timing of deliverables, and coordination with partners.
- Oversee the development of and ensure the effectiveness of capacity building plans and the strengthening and overall management of local partners.
- Identify opportunities for scaling up projects and oversee project design.
- Act as the primary point of contact with program funders, including USAID WBG; maintain good relationships and be responsive to their priorities and needs.
- Act as the primary liaison to Palestinian government partners and other partners that would support scale and long-term program sustainability.
- Oversee continuous program learning and ensure integration of M&E system data into management decision-making and policy advocacy.
- Oversee the production of effective written reports and oral presentations on the program, including preparing periodic reports, updating on developmental challenges facing the program, and articulating the program’s success in meeting deliverables.
- Represent IYF and overall program interests at local, national and regional meetings, workshops and conferences and promote the program at the national level.
- Supervise staff as assigned, including providing regular professional support and coaching to supervisees, assessing their performance and recommending improvements they can make to achieve their annual objectives and project’s goal in general.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Reports to Program Director, Middle East based in Baltimore
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in Youth Development, Workforce Development, Education, or a closely related field is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of successful experience designing, implementing, and managing complex youth development programs sponsored by USAID and other donors in the region.
- Experience in West Bank and Gaza and the Middle East region with a broad network of contacts in the public and private sector.
- Demonstrated ability to find viable solutions to complicated problems in a flexible, time-sensitive and creative manner.
- Experience successfully working with the public sector, the private sector, civil society, community based organizations, local communities, local government and donors and in developing effective capacity building methods.
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to manage and motivate teams.
- Solid “troubleshooting” skills and sound judgment in dealing with partners experiencing implementation challenges.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required and Arabic Skills will be strongly preferred.
- Experience reporting clearly and comprehensively on a complex portfolio of activities.
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Please submit the following documents in English via email to
with "COP - Palestine" in the subject line by November 30, 2017:
- Completed IYF Field Office Application for Employment
- Cover Letter
To be eligible for this position, applicants must have the legal authority to work and reside in the West Bank. Applications will be reviewed as received.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.