Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action—helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Palestine, Mercy Corps has been working hand-in-hand with local communities and partners since 1980s and has staff in three offices based in East Jerusalem, West Bank, and Gaza. Mercy Corps work aims to increase the capacity of Palestinian’s civil society to promote inclusive social and economic development, long-term recovery, and respond to humanitarian need.
Globally Mercy Corps is a recognized leader in cash transfer programming leading numerous efforts designed to harmonize and improve practices across the sector. Since 2006 within Palestine, Mercy Corps’ has worked to provide over 32,000 vulnerable households with access to critically needed cash through cash for work and livelihoods rehabilitation programming with funds from range of donors including ECHO, USAID, Qatar Charity, and OCHA.
Mercy Corps has made a commitment to increase its use of Cash Transfer Programming (CTP) in humanitarian responses. In Gaza Mercy Corps is starting a new program in Gaza designed to establish a stronger case for multi-purpose cash assistance (MPCA) by testing different cash transfer modalities and completing an ambitious research, learning, and influence agenda.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Cash Program Specialist will work directly with the Director of Programs, and closely with Cash Programming Advisor to lead Cash program modalities design, overall management of program implementation, relationship with national and international partners, coordination with authorities, effective project technical support, monitoring and evaluation, quality assurance and accountability, systems and support mechanisms development and tracking, analyzing and reporting on results, as well as engagement with senior management on the strategic direction of the overall humanitarian response in Gaza. The CPS position also includes close collaboration and coordination with Mercy Corps operations, finance and M&E teams. The CPS will help represent the Mercy Corps’ Cash program to donors, major stakeholders such as Cash Working Group (CWG), Food Security Sector (FSS), and other program partners. The CPS is also responsible for supporting the implementation and expansion of the CTP programs in Gaza though continuous development and fundraising.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Strategy and Vision
- Help articulate the vision for Cash Transfer Programming (CTP) development and quality as an integral component of the overall program portfolio in Gaza. Contribute to country-wide strategy development, promoting the centrality of CTP.
- Work with relevant technical teams and management to design and test different cash modalities and optimize use of cash transfer programming to meet basic needs in normal and emergency situations by.
- Develop strategies to influence and address the harmonization of cash transfer programming across Cash community in Gaza.
- Develop strategies with the Mercy Corps management and teams to ensure that CTP best practices are systematically implemented and up-dated in the overall response interventions.
- Assist in developing CTP learning agenda, evidence-based programming, and recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
Program Planning, Implementation, and Development
- Be fully responsible for the management of the Cash program in the spirit of providing the best possible value for Mercy Corps, program beneficiaries, the community at large.
- Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps’ Program Management Standards ([email protected]), Cash Minimum Standards Policy, Mercy Corps’ Gender Policy, Protection Principles, Accountability to Beneficiaries Standards, Filed Procurement Manual, other Mercy Corps policies and procedures, and Mercy Corps strategy.
- Ensure Cash program activities are implemented in accordance with technical, budgetary, and timely requirements to the highest standards delivering the maximum possible quality and in compliance with Mercy Corps’ standards and donors’ requirements.
- Oversee program startup, including the definition of cash modalities, contribute in the design of modalities (including Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance (MPCA), Multi-Wallet, E-voucher), setting up targeting approaches and mechanisms, beneficiaries identification plans, data collection plans, and ongoing program management and administration of teams across various field locations.
- Develop, and maintain up-to-date program implementation plans, budgets, timelines, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), partnership frameworks, beneficiary targeting and distribution processes.
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability targeting approaches.
- Lead on determining the most appropriate cash delivery mechanisms. Draft TORs/SOWs and coordinate internally and externally to identify appropriate cash payment service providers in line with procurement procedures, and set up/maintain locally appropriate payment mechanisms.
- Where appropriate, infuse market interventions into existing programs to ensure emergency response programs are responsive to local markets and enhance beneficiaries’ coping capacities.
- Identify various partners (local NGOs, financial institutions, private companies, etc.) necessary for successful CTP implementation, including the development of partners’ MoUs and contracts, and tracking of partners’ deliverables.
- Work closely with team and management to conduct mapping for referral services, develop plans for referral mechanisms for beneficiaries in need to other non-cash services, identify service provider, develop MOUs, information sharing agreements, caseload management plans, and any other work required for a proper referral to beneficiaries in need.
- Support start up or adaptation of CTP programs as the context and response opportunities evolve.
- Ensure timely and effective coordination with authorities, WFP, Cash working Group (CWG), Food Security Sector (FSS), national and international partners, and other relevant coordination bodies.
- Where appropriate coordinate the harmonization of tools and approaches within the humanitarian community.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Ensure active engagement, timely communication, and proper coordination and liaison with all Mercy Corps support department including Finance & Compliance, Monitoring & Evaluation, Procurement, and Human Resources & Admin.
- Help create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Hire, orient and supervise new team members and implementing partners as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, provide any program related technical capacity building as needed, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Ensure all team members adhere to all Mercy Corps policies including Code of Conduct Policy and Safeguarding Policy.
Monitoring and Evaluation, and Reporting
- Ensure high quality monitoring and evaluation procedures are in place and maintained with a focus on outputs, outcomes, Learning, and evidences of impact.
- Develop program’s evaluation strategy, data collection tools, monitoring and evaluation tools in close cooperation with Mercy Corps’ Monitoring & Evaluation department.
- Lead in planning baseline as well as end line data collection in line with the established evaluation strategy.
- Collaborate with the program teams and the Monitoring & Evaluation department to conduct relevant assessments, present evidence on effectiveness of CTP, support data analysis and provide analytical reports, and advise on practices around programming for further expansion.
- Ensure program implementation is using effective monitoring and evaluation systems and indicator tracking and transparency tools (i.e. TOLA) to reach desired impacts.
- Provide timely periodic and ad hoc high-quality reports and up-dates on the status of the Cash program implementation.
- Maintain and up-date project summaries for donors and internal use including updated fact sheets.
- Write success stories and produce other written material as required.
Fundraising, Coordination and Representation
- Through close coordination with Director of Programs, Mission Director, seek CTP fund opportunities, and participate in fund-raising initiatives, drafting concept papers and funding proposals, collection of required data and information to meet with the needs of existing and potential donors.
- Establish close and productive relationships with donors, national government authorities, private sector actors, and other NGOs.
- Represent Mercy Corps at all relevant coordination meetings including the Cash Working Groups and other relevant coordination mechanisms, and actively engage with informal coordination.
- Coordinate with other NGOs to consolidate Mercy Corps’ strategic niche in CTP sector and comparative advantages, while identifying strategic partnerships.
- Ensure that programs are designed and implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security management priorities
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning – and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – Mercy Corps expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our partners and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging partner communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
AUTHORITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY:
Cash Program Coordinator levels.
Reports Directly To: Director of Programs
Works Directly With: Mission Director, Cash Programming Advisor, M&E Manager, Finance and Compliance Manager, Operations Director, Procurement Manager, Regional Program Team, Technical Support Unit, and additional headquarters-based support departments as needed.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Bachelor’s degree required, M.A, M.S., M.Sc. or equivalent degree preferred, in international development, economic development, international relations, engineering or other relevant degree.
- 5+ years of field experience of international relief and development program management.
- 3+ years of direct field experience in CTP management.
- Experience in Palestinian humanitarian sector. Excellent familiarity with, and understanding of, Gaza humanitarian context.
- Previous experience managing cash transfer programming and knowledge of e-transfer mechanisms.
- Experience designing and establishing new programs.
- Experience working with market assessments.
- Previous experience building capacity of staff and local partners.
- Demonstrated success working effectively and respectfully with country government, private sector, INGO, NGO partners and other stakeholders in complex environment.
- Excellent writing skills and experience with proposal development processes with prior experience with USAID, ECHO, and other institutional donors.
- Successful and proven negotiation, communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent Computer Skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required.
- Experience managing national staff.
The successful CPS will skillfully represent programmatic priorities of Mercy Corps to donors and partners while providing effective leadership to the Mercy Corps program team in the transitional response environment. The CPS will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive, and energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building. The CPS will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority. The successful candidate will combine great management skills, data analysis skills and experience in maintaining donor and partner relationships. The CPS will have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and manage innovative CTP programs within the current and future program structure of Mercy Corps in Gaza. Prioritizing, problem solving, ability to seize opportunities, attention to detail and strategic vision are essential.
Qualified persons with disability are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an application online no later than Wednesday, 07 August 2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please apply separate application for each position you are interested in.