Do you have the dedication, skills, knowledge and experience to help us improve the life of Palestine refugees? The United Nations Relief and Works Agency offers challenging opportunities for professionals interested working in a results-driven and diverse environment. If you are then we would like to hear from you.
UNRWA is the United Nations agency responsible for the protection, care and human development of a population of some 4.6 million Palestine refugees living in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, Jordan, Lebanon, and the Syrian Arab Republic. The Agency is committed to assisting Palestine refugees in maintaining a decent standard of living, acquiring appropriate knowledge and skills, enjoying the fullest possible extent of human rights, and leading a long and healthy life. UNRWA is by far the largest UN operation in the Middle East with over 29,000 staff. Most of the staff members are refugees themselves, working directly to benefit their communities – as teachers, doctors, nurses or social workers.
Assistant Physiotherapist | مساعد علاج طبيعي
Location : Gaza Field
Type of Appointment : Fixed Term
Deadline for Application : 13 December 2017
Vacancy Announcement Number : 04-11-2017
Grade : L1
Department/Division : Health Programme
In accordance with Agency policy and procedures, the incumbent:
- Performs physical rehabilitation treatment to patients suffering from functional impairments referred by UNRWA Medical Officers.
- Assists senior physiotherapist or physiotherapist in performing complicated physical rehabilitation interventions like nerve injuries as may required.
- Brings to the attention of senior physiotherapist or physiotherapist or medical officers such cases as may require referral.
- Trains and instructs patients and their family members on home program and home care to develop self reliance and conducts home visits as required.
- Maintains records of patients treated at the Agency’s physiotherapy clinic and provides statistical data on the operation of the clinic using the E-Heath information system.
- Performs cleaning and disinfection of physiotherapy tools and equipment.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
- Completion of full secondary education.
- Completion of a two-year diploma in physiotherapy from a recognized institution.
- Possession of a license to practice physiotherapy services (where applicable).
- At least two years experience in a providing physiotherapy services.
- Experience in the use of computers and an understanding of their use in health applications.
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English and Arabic.
- Good communication skills and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients;
- Good organizational skills and ability to work under pressure and cope with heavy workload;
- Adequate computer skills;
- Self-motivated and shows willingness to learn from others.
- Acts in accordance with the professional ethics and values.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
- Basic Salary: Monthly basic salary $1,178.20; and monthly dependency allowance up to $123.25.
- Contract Duration: Three years including 1 year probation period.
- Employment for this post might be either on full-time or part-time basis based on the needs.
Announcing this modality does not mean that it would definitely be used. It would rather give the Agency the flexibility to use both full time and part time contracts based on the work needs and the personal circumstances or preferences of the staff member.
- Leave: 36 days of annual leave for staff attending UNRWA duty stations with six-day working week. 30 days of annual leave for staff attending UNRWA duty stations with five-day working week.
- Pension: Provident Fund contribution.
- Other conditions of service and benefits may apply.
When the minimum requirements are not fully met, the Director of Human Resources; in consultation with the Director of UNRWA Operations, Gaza may exceptionally substitute part of the unmet requirements with a combination of relevant academic qualifications, additional professional training and progressive relevant work experience.
NB: Work experience alone or formal qualifications with no relevant work experience are not considered an acceptable combination.
Qualified candidates will be required to undergo tests and a competency based interview. To learn more about positive and negative indicators of professional behaviors within the UN competencies, you may review the UN Competency Development – A Practical Guide
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for human rights, for diversity, and for non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non-smoking working environment.
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified and experienced women. It is Agency policy to give full consideration to disabled candidates whose disability does not militate against the effective performance of the duties of the post. UNRWA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications equally from men and women. Where there are two or more equally qualified candidates, selection preference will normally be given to internal candidates, Palestine Refugees and candidates of the under-represented gender. With their prior agreement, candidates who are approved as suitable for appointment but are not the selected candidate for this vacancy, will be placed on the Agency’s roster of pre-approved candidates for a
period of up to one year, and may be considered for future vacancies in the same position. The Agency maintains the discretion to fill future vacancies for this position from the roster without re-advertising the vacancy.
HOW TO APPLY
If you have got the skills and experience required above, and want to make an active and lasting contribution to improving the lives of Palestine refugees, then register on
by creating a personal profile and completing the UNRWA Personal History Form. Only applications received through this website will be considered. Please note that UNRWA only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Candidates may also be invited to take a technical exam in order further evaluate their qualifications for the post. Due to a high volume of applications received, only short-listed applicants will be contacted. The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. The United Nations does not concern itself with information on bank accounts.
As an Area post, preference will be given to local candidates already based in the duty station of the post.