Job Title: Geographic Information System (GIS) Engineer
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Duty Station: Gaza
Start Date: As soon as possible
Duration of Contract: 8 months with the possibility to extend based on fund availability and satisfactory performance
Closing Date: 30 September 2020 (midnight New York, USA)
Since the imposition of the blockade on Gaza in 2006, the implementation of infrastructure projects and projects that needs materials and equipment in Gaza have been dormant or suspended due to access restrictions. After the Israeli Cabinet decision, in June 2010, to relax certain aspects of the closure policy on Gaza, resulting in the likely opening of access of goods and materials through international projects, UNDP must be prepared to address considerable access coordination challenges.
UNDP, as a key development and infrastructure recovery operator in the Gaza strip, is increasing its capacity to expediently coordinate with the relevant authorities (Palestinian Authority, Israeli Authority/MOD -COGAT, etc.) for the accountable and timely access of building materials into Gaza. To successfully boost the process to enter the materials to Gaza, efforts are exerted in providing logistics, coordination, problem solving, and movement of goods management expertise that applies for all construction materials and goods requiring prior approval from the Israeli authorities.
Responding to that, UNDP/PAPP has established access coordination and monitoring team and set up the necessary materials’ accessibility mechanism that includes heavy and complex coordination, monitoring and tracking system including working closely with UNDP/PAPP projects, programmes and infrastructure teams to prepare detailed project documents, GPS coordinates, maps, drawings, bills of quantities, lists of materials to be imported, proposed import schedule, site monitoring mechanism and reporting schedules.
Worldwide, all documentation is going to digitisation and the use of media as well as infographics to convey messages and reporting. Seeking for better and easier to understand means of communication, GIS is planned to be mainstreamed within the culture of the office and the incumbent will be helping the teams to utilise such service.
Functions/Key Results Expected/Responsibilities:
Prepare Projects Coordinates to facilitate approval by Authorities:
• Capture the necessary projects coordinates related to those under UNDP/PAPP portfolio implemented through the support of the access team whether old, ongoing or new and store them in GIS database.
• Take google photos and connect the GPS coordinates to the location of the project and store them in GIS database to be shared with CLA to complete the documents needed to facilitate their approval.
• Use the database to produce static and interactive maps with infographics for presentations and reports.
• Responsible to facilitate the job of the Access Team to carry out spot checks by providing them with GPS coordinates and maps.
2. Develop Web Story Maps related to projects managed and implemented in Gaza
• Produce Web Story Maps for reporting and sharing with donors and partners on all projects under UNDP/PAPP portfolio.
• Produce Web Story Map that will use interactive maps, photos, videos, infographics and narrative text to present for UNDP interventions.
• Develop Web Story Maps for different projects funded by SFD, KFW, and other donors.
3. Develop Power BI Dashboards for assessments of projects under implementation
• Produce Power BI infographics for presenting the data in an appealing and interactive way.
• Assist UNDP partners in the assessment to setup the necessary platform to display the data both in the West Bank or the Gaza Strip.
4. Develop data collection tools for assessments
• Develop digital surveys using Kobo Toolbox platform.
• Digitize paper surveys and install them on tablets to collect attribute data and spatial data (GPS) as well.
• Administer the database for assessments working with the team to have reliable and comprehensive assessments.
5. Perform other related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Ability to develop, support, and maintain applications
Ability to identify, preserve, collect, process and review information from electronic data sources
3.Information Systems & Technology (General)
Knowledge of IST innovations and concepts and ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations
Jobs.ps, Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
Master's in Geomatics Engineering, Engineering, Business Administration, Computer Science or any other related fields.
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering will be an asset
Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in developing GIS maps and programmes using IT software.
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel etc.)
Fluency in Arabic and English, written and spoken.
Job Title Geographic Information System (GIS) Engineer
Deadline 30 - Sep - 2020
Location Gaza Strip
Job Type Full time
Position Level Management
Degree Master's degree
Experience 5 Years
Detailed information and application instructions can be viewed on the UNDP/PAPP web site.
For your privacy and protection: when applying to a job online , never give your credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction to a prospective employer.
Latests Jobs By برنامج الأمم المتحدة الإنمائي UNDP
UNDSS Field Security Associate
Community Outreach Coordinator
Local Consultant for OHCHR
Gaza Strip, Jerusalem, Ramalla...
(TVET) Project Manager
OHCHR Human Rights Officer