WHO Procurement Assistant - Gaza
Application Type : External Vacancy
Job ID/Title : 941 - WHO Procurement Assistant
Category : Administration/Operations
Brand : WHO
Post Level : GS6
Application Deadline : 26-Apr-17
Duty Station : Gaza
Expected Duration of Assignment : Temporary Appointment for 18 months
To provide support to the country office in the timely procurement of goods & services ensuring effectiveness, transparency, and integrity of the procurement process
Description of Responsibilities:
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the National Professional Officer, Head of Gaza Sub Office and the overall supervision of the Head of Office in a normal office environment. Guidance is provided in the form of procurement guidelines and administrative instructions. The incumbent performs day to day and routine tasks independently. Complex issues or exceptions from established procedures are discussed and resolved with the supervisor.
Although established procedural and office guidelines are available, the incumbent is expected to exercise considerable judgement and initiative in the application and interpretation of the guidelines and select an approach to work where precedents do not exist
FUNCTION 1 (INCL. EXPECTED RESULTS)
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Identify the proper procurement method and potential suppliers.
- Issue offer solicitations, communicate and negotiate with suppliers when needed.
- Evaluate and analyze the received offers and recommend the awarded suppliers.
- Ensure that the prices are reasonable and that the technical/admin clearances are obtained
- Prepare the adjudication reports with recommendations for review and approval.
- Create and process requisitions for both catalogue and non-catalogue items in an efficient manner, monitor status and ensure timely process of requests and delivery of goods and services. Initiate purchase order amendments when required, provide justification and upload supporting documents in ECM.
- Analyze and process requests for procurement of goods and services for different technical and emergency programmes, ensure adherence to the standard WHO guidelines on procurement, accuracy of information, completion of required supporting documents and check availability of funds.
- Prepare requests for price estimates for non-catalogue items, obtain estimated costs from the Regional Logistics and Supply Unit or HQ, and implement related procurement decisions taken by technical units and supervisor.
- Provide technical units and country office with the estimate cost of needed supplies/services to estimate their budgets
- Arrange for the meetings of the Country Procurement Committee by identifying with partners suitable dates, compiling and disseminating necessary background documents related to the cases to be presented.
- Maintain and update the suppliers’ database including completion of the supplier evaluation forms for all suppliers contracted by WHO Gaza office.
- Generate procurement reports and briefings on the status of all transactions for the review of the supervisor. Initiate correspondence to verify data, answer queries, alert supervisor/technical units of any gaps in the transactions, and recommend solutions.
- Logistical arrangements for transporting and entering goods into Gaza.
- Act as a backup for customs clearance and logistical arrangements for importing goods.
- Support the logistic work arrangements and organization of conferences, seminars, meetings and other events implemented in Gaza.
WORK RELATIONS AND PARTNERSHIPS
To provide and request information on procurement
To follow up on submitted procurement requests and delivery of goods/service.
Assist with enquiries as follows :
Within unit/division ,Within Organization at duty station Within Organization outside duty station
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
- Maintains databases
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
In addition to :
- Ability to work independently, manage and prioritize in difficult and complex situations and especially under pressure.
- Proven knowledge of procurement regulations and procedures
- Proven problem solving and analytical capacity and strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to document and communicate, in both verbal and written form, to various levels in the organization including senior management
- Demonstrated negotiation skills
- Very good organizational skills, ability to meet deadlines
- Producing results
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Knowing and managing oneself
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Completion of secondary education, supplemented by training in procurement/logistics
University degree in business administration, social sciences or a related field is an asset
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
At least eight years’ experience in procurement
Relevant experience in the UN system.
Excellent knowledge of English and the local language.
Appointment Type: Temporary Appointment for 18 months
Applications must be submitted by 26th April 2017 to
Applications must be in English and include your CV.
Only Palestinians are eligible to apply.
WHO HAS A NON-SMOKING WORK ENVIRONMENT.