Vacancy reference no.: VAC-0709
Position: Site Engineer
Place of performance: Gaza
Contract duration: up to 6 months (@26days/month)
Starting date: 1-Jul-2017
OVERVIEW OF CTG GLOBAL
CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The objective of this project is to contribute to the successful and sustainable reconstruction of Gaza and relief of the ongoing humanitarian crisis. Its primary aim is to provide legal, financial and technical support to the most vulnerable IDP households with totally destroyed houses, to establish and protect Housing, Land and Property (HLP) rights of IDP's and to promote security of tenure and then with the provision of cash grants and technical support, to reconstruct quality and sustainable homes.
Provide necessary technical support and assistance through the reconstruction process to beneficiaries.
The Site Engineer will be involved in the definition and agreement of the quantities of materials and work for each stage with the selected contractor, the overall schedule for the construction, stages of work and will authorize each respective stage payment upon achievement of the stage achievements in accordance with the required and agreed progress and standards to the beneficiary.
The main responsibilities of the Site Engineer are to:
- Review provided Designs and BoQ.
- Monitor and technically assess quality construction according to plan.
- Ensure construction standards according to HSE plans.
- Manage work sites and coordinating works and duties between different parties.
- Provide technical supervision.
- Take steps to ensure contractors adherence to the set time schedule and budget.
- Ensure that the construction activities are aligned with the overall project plan.
- Propose workable solutions to keep-up for the delay.
- Keep record of day to day progress of work on site.
- Liaise with contractors and beneficiaries in order to facilitate smooth.
- Implementation according to plan (quantitative and qualitative).
- Maintain operations by following policies and procedures, reporting needed changes.
- Assist the PM in the hand over and closing of the project.
- Report all errors, omissions, discrepancies and deficiencies to PM and record them into the software monitoring system.
- Actively support the PM and all relevant stakeholders with the supply of data and information according to project needs.
- Contributing to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Perform other functions as may be assigned by the PM.
- Day-to-day monitoring visit to construction sites are recorded into software monitoring system.
- Follow-up of construction plan and reporting according to milestones.
He/ she will be working along with other construction team members and coordinate with the implementation partner’s colleagues. Although no direct formal management is foreseen, good managerial and coordination skills are necessary for the fulfillment of daily work with beneficiaries and contractors.
-Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or relevant discipline.
-Minimum of 6 years of demonstrable relevant Engineering – Civil experience.
-Minimum of 6 years of experience in Middle East with local experience in Gaza is an advantage.
-Fluency in English and Arabic are essential.
- Ability to multi-task and work in an environment where there may be frequent distractions.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Demonstrate strong coaching/mentoring skills, regularly providing helpful feedback and advice to others in the team.
- Ability to work effectively under limited supervision, high stress and rapidly changing situations and circumstances.
- Good communications and mediation skills to build strong relationships with internal and external actors.
- Pro-active and problem solving approach.
- Good time keeper and able to deliver according to time and quality set for.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Technical/Professional Diploma in areas such as Civil Engineering or other relevant discipline.
- High School Degree with additional years of relevant work experience, may substitute for the requirement for a diploma.
- Previous experience in quantity surveying and construction.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Ability to read construction maps and check BoQ's.
- Experience and ability of measuring/running estimations/calculations of used dual-use material in construction.
- Database management skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to work as a team member in multi-national and cultural environment.
- Strong professional oral communication, writing and analytical skills, including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents.
- Experience in UN or NGOs is highly preferred.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in engineering.
- Experience working with AUTOCAD is an advantage.
- Lives in Gaza.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in Arabic and English.
Other relevant information:
- The incumbent must be mentally and physically fit.
- The incumbent must have a clean criminal record.
- When visiting the construction sites, all duties are performed in PPE: safety hat, boots and high viz.
- Duties may require long periods of standing.
- Hold a valid Palestinian driving license.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Other relevant information:
To be advised.