Job Title :Researcher – Human Rights
Responsible to :Director General
Responsible for : N/A
Duration :17 months with high possibility for extension
Location :QADER Office – Bethlehem
Starting Date : ASAP
PURPOSE & OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
Reporting to the Director General, the post holder will undertake in-depth research into any legal, human rights, and social aspects in support of QADER’s mission, strategic goals and the agreed priorities of its annual plan. The Researcher shall further the knowledge and ensure the delivery of scientific and professional research that will investigate human rights, legal and social issues and will use variety of methods to gather relevant information in order to enhance QADER’s profile and mission in coordination with QADER key staff members.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Carry out, design and deliver research studies related to human rights, social policy and development issues in general and relevant to Disability in specific.
Use an appropriate and creative methodology to design and manage research projects, which may involve the use of quantitative and/or qualitative methods.
Lead the planning and implementation of needs assessments relevant to QADER’s programs and projects.
Follow up and develop internal mechanisms for monitoring the UN committees procedures on the different conventions related to persons with disabilities.
Lead the preparation of shadow reports related to UN conventions relevant to the rights of persons with disabilities.
Collaborate and represent QADER in venues related to shadow reports with all relevant stakeholders.
Prepare materials for UN Human rights Subjects Committee review, as needed.
Analyze and evaluate research and interpret data, making sure that key issues are identified;
prepare, present and disseminate results, for example as a verbal presentation and in a written report;
Offer research-based briefings and advice, which may involve writing research action plans;
Prepare and present tenders for new research projects.
Supervise undergraduate students working on research projects
Strengthen QADER links with research institutes, local NGOs, government institutions, and local authorities, and international research organizations.
Provide editorial support to colleagues, specifically for selected articles, reports, case studies, presentations, etc.
Provides technical assistance to the other staff members, when needed, in preparing media materials and communications of QADER, including, brochures, newsletters, articles, Project/program fact sheets, and annual reports.
- At least Bachelor’s degree in law, human rights, social policy or a related field, Masters degree is preferred;
- At least five years’ experience in research and applied research, preferably with civil society organizations;
- Experience in and demonstrated understanding of the field of social development and human rights.
- Knowledge of the human rights situation in Palestine, especially for persons with disabilities and women.
- Proven experience in Data collection and analysis, Qualitative data research and Quantitative data sets
- Statistical computer software programs, Project management and Communications
- Fluent written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills
- Flexible and adaptable
- Able to self-manage, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Proactive and able to see the big picture
- Dynamic, creative and innovative
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills
- Able to plan, organize and deliver results
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send their CVs/Resumes in addition to a cover letter (not less than 200 words, clarifying how your qualifications and personal specifications meet the job requirements) to
Please indicate in the subject line “Researcher – Human Rights”
Deadline for applications: 15 October 2017
Persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply for this position. QADER for Community Development is an equal opportunity employer.