OHCHR - Human Rights Officer - Ramallah
Application Type : External Vacancy
Job ID/Title : 915 - OHCHR - Human Rights Officer
Category : Other
Brand : OHCHR
Post Level : SB3/4
Application Deadline : 20-Oct-16
Duty Station : Ramallah
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Duration of Initial Contract : 9 months with possibility of extension
Expected Duration of Assignment :
Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of Office or his/her delegate, the incumbent will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of all activities related to the work of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights in the occupied Palestinian territory (OHCHR oPt) related to human rights promotion and protection, including women’s rights, pursuant to relevant United Nations resolutions.
Description of Responsibilities:
Description of Responsibilities:
- Gathering information on and following the human rights situation in the oPt, including Interviewing victims and witnesses on-site
- Providing analyses of both specific cases as well as broad trends in the oPt, based on international human rights and humanitarian law.Drafting reports and communications as required; contributing to periodic reports; providing ad hoc briefing notes and oral briefings on the situation of human rights in the oPt.
- Working closely with representatives of international, Palestinian and Israeli NGOs, of civil society at large and individuals on matters concerning the promotion and the protection of human rights, including on specific individual cases and on the use of international human rights mechanisms.
- Inter-agency liaison for co-ordination of the human rights and humanitarian work of the UN Country Team and the Humanitarian Country Team, including mainstreaming human rights within the work of the UN in the oPt.
- Assisting in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of training and other activities in relation to Human Rights Education and international human rights standards and mechanisms for a broad range of beneficiaries.
- Assisting in providing adequate support to visits to the region by independent human rights experts and OHCHR missions.
- Additional tasks as required.
Other essential qualifications:
-Commitment to human rights and the mission of OHCHR; experience of and willingness to work in a team within a multicultural environment of women and men working together, ability to work under pressure, ability to communicate well, commitment to UN core competencies, and to the highest standards of professionalism and integrity. Enthusiasm, initiative and creativity are also essential, good interpersonal skill.
Advanced University degree preferably in law, political science, international relations or other disciplines related to human rights or development. A combination of relevant academic qualifications and extensive relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Legal training would be a strong asset.
Five years of progressively responsible related work experience in international human rights law and humanitarian law, including interviewing of claimants, gathering information on and documenting cases of human rights violations and broader trends in human rights.
Excellent Arabic and English (written and spoken).
Good command of operational systems and office applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Lotus Notes). Knowledge of database management is an asset.
Important message to all applicants!
- Please be aware that the OHCHR will review your application only if you have uploaded Personal History Form (P.11) to your application.
- You will get the opportunity to upload the P-11 at when you apply for the position.
- Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration. Please note that only applications that are under consideration will be contacted.
- For more detailed information about UNDP/PAPP please visit our website at www.undp.ps.
- OHCHR is an equal opportunity employer: applications from men and women will be considered equally