Categories: Collaboration , Management
Job title: Juvenile Justice Project Assistant
Reports to Juvenile Justice Programme Manager
Classification of function: 1 Assistant Working time in %: 100%
Duty station: Ramallah, with regular travel to Bethlehem and Hebron.
Duration: 4 months with possibility of extension subject to successful performance and availability of funding.
Terre des hommes (Tdh) Foundation, based in Lausanne is a leading Swiss Child-Relief agency with a strong mandate worldwide on restorative juvenile justice, which accumulates extensive experience in the Palestinian context with over 40 years. Tdh supports active participation and leadership in national, regional and international spaces regarding child protection and access to justice and tightly connected with national civil society organisations, research and policy institutions and key public stakeholders. Tdh’s long history in Palestine has allowed it to develop strong partnerships in the field of juvenile justice, including supporting the rehabilitation of children in contact with the law and restorative juvenile justice imitiaives.
Tdh Foundation is seeking a Juvenile Justice Assistant to be based in Ramallah. The JJ Assistant will report directly to the Juvenile Justice Programme Manager based in East Jerusalem under the overall supervision of Tdh Country Coordinator. The position includes project implementation mainly but also additional support functions in coordination. Tdh is seeking a qualified candidate with sound technical skills on project execution and with knowledge on criminal justice matters (preferably juvenile justice). Specific esponsibilities include:
Project Implementaion support
- Support on the implementation of Juvenile Justice projects in the West Bank in accordance with the objectives, activities and targets outlined within Project Documents and in line with the JJ Strategy.
- Ensure that activities are appropriately and timely carried out. When necessary, inform and propose amendments to the JJ Programe Manager.
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day administrative project implementation tasks of Tdh and its national partners.
- In collaboration with the Finance & Admin responsible and the JJ Programme Manager forecast expenditures and track activities’ expenses.
- Contribute in the preparation and quality control of all substantive technical reports, as well as,financial and narrative progress reports by all project partners;
- In collaboration with the JJ Programme Manager, actively participate in the design of strategies for improved support to children in conflict and in contact with the law, with solid gender lens.
- Contribute in undertaking assessments, brainstorming, and proposal writing exercises insofar as they relate to the Juvenile Justice Programme.
- Arrange meetings with representatives of local authorities and other stakeholders working on justice in the West Bank, when request by JJ Programme Manager and/or Country Coordinator.
- Prepare minutes of meetigs and reports on technical and representative meetings held with different actors.
- Under the guidance of the JJ Programme Manager support the follow-up implementation of the JJ projects assigned to local partners and the montly reporting of activities and progress.
- Monthly collection of cases of children in needs of child protection services handled by the Informal Justice System (IJS) actors in different locations of the West Bank.
- Organise and perform regular meetings, ensuring trustworthy and effective relationship with IJS actors as well as monthly maintenance of the Tdh IJS Database through Excel, SPSS, and Mobile Data Collection System.
- Contribution to quarterly IJS technical reports.
- Produce and submit a monthly status report to the JJ Programe Manager.
- Ensure translation of relevant documents from Arabic to English and well as translation facilitation when needed.
- Maintain and ensure a culture of strict confidentiality - inter Tdh staff and between Tdh staff and non Tdh employees.
- Proper and regular documentation of all project activities and monthly management of sources of verification.
- Comply with Tdh Security Regulations.
Child Protection Policy
- Commit to respect the Child Protection Policy.
- Be proactive with respect to Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy (CSP).
- Report cases of abuse on children as identified.
- Undertake any other duties as required by the JJ Programme Manager and Country Coordinator.
Competencies: This function requires the mastery of Personal, Social and Leadership Competencies (PSLC), Technical and Methodological Competencies (TMC) as well as Professional Competencies
- Shows determination and proactivity.
- Shows flexibility, availability and adaptability.
- Communicates in a clear concise and responsible way.
- Collaboration of all staff members across the organization.
Qualifications: This position has a strong project implementation and support functions for which we are looking for a person who has sound technical skills on project execution, knowledge on criminal justice matters (preferably juvenile justice) and highlz motivated to accomplish suceesfully the task assigned. Specific qualifications include:
- A bachelor’s degree in law (preferably in Palestinian Criminal Law) or other relevant degree in line with the position responsibilities.
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience in criminal justice programming. Experience in juvenile justice is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding in in project cycle management (in English)
- Preferable previous experience working with NGOs or the UN.
- Knowledge of gender issues.
- Previous experience and exposure to relevant actors working in juvenile justice in Palestine would be highly desirable.
- Excellent communication and representation skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Ability to manage day to day interactions with filed staff.
- Valid driving license and abily to drive regularly in the West Bank
Interested candidates should send a letter of motivation and their updated CV to
no later than 13 December 2017 with the subject of the position's title .
Only those candidates pre-selected for a test and an interview will be contacted.